[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /fit/ Image in OP vs study in link, which is true and wh
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: reps.jpg (176 KB, 762x528) Image search: [Google]
reps.jpg
176 KB, 762x528
Hi /fit/

Image in OP vs study in link, which is true and which is not?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160712094259.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook
>>
whats the difference between power and strength?
>>
>>37901280
Power is more like speed. So like a boxer is able to punch with a lot of power but isn't necessarily strong like benching 3 plate or something. Strength is being able to lift heavy things under a slow, controlled motion. I can't really explain the difference too well.
>>
nigga, get with the times

http://strengtheory.com/the-new-approach-to-training-volume/
http://www.strengtheory.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

Strength and size gains occur at all rep ranges, up to a very high number like 20+ where we get diminishing returns. You get stronger at the rep range you train at, and you get size regardless.
>>
>>37901332
so you implying that by squating 20x150lbs for 10sets for year i will be able to squat 4 plates eventualy?
>>
>>37901321
POWER is velocity

you explained it pretty well. power is jumping high. power is throwing a ball fast and far. power is massXspeed basically

strength is that 1rm deadlift. strength is two sumos pushing each other. strength is helping your friends push a car
>>
>>37901321
>>37901390
thanks anons, i love you, keep gaining
>>
>>37901347
no, you need to have progressive overload, i.e. slowly increasing the weight of your 10 sets of 20 reps workout, otherwise you'll mostly stay the same.
>>
>>37901332

My own practical observations:

If you want to lift heavy, you lift in the lower rep ranges because it will, by default, let you lift more weight. It will give you strength gains in that range, but it doesn't mean higher rep ranges won't get you strong, it's just more convenient if you want to lift as heavy as possible.

If you want to get more volume, you lift in the higher rep ranges, because it's easier to get quality work and more volume in, but it doesn't mean that lower rep range won't give you size. It's just more convenient.

Lower: Easier to get intensity in
Higher: Easier to get volume in

So while all types of gains in all rep ranges, it's just a matter of what's more convenient I'd say, and what type of exercise you're doing. Compounds are usually fairy low rep range. Exercises where form is easily compromised with higher weight is higher range. Exercises where technique is everything is lower range, like olympic lifts. Accessories are usually higher range because single joint movement has a higher rate of injury when form loosens and you start to cheat. It's also easier to get in 40 reps of bicep curls doing 4x10 with 10 kg to get 400 total volume load rather than 10x2 with 20 kg.
>>
>>37901347

not sure if b8, but yes you'd get stronger if you added weight each workout. no one said you should use the same weight.

progressive overload still applies to ALL training, it's not exclusive to strength.
>>
>>37901390
>>37901280
>>37901321
>power is more like speed
>power is mass x speed basically
Assuming anon knows what strength is, power IS force x speed, ie when power matters not only the amount of weight on the bar is important but also the speed at which you complete the lift.

t. actually a physicist
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.