[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner Program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: 2016-07-12 14.32.52.png (88 KB, 539x341) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-12 14.32.52.png
88 KB, 539x341
Hey fit! Just finished reading the a sticky and got to the point where it suggests a beginner routine.
Nut i dont know which is best
My current stats are 6'2.5, 380
Im obese but pretty decently strong.
Which is best for someone like me and why?

How do u know when i hit Intermediate?
>>
I keep hearing SS is a meme tho and reg parks looks interesting.
>>
>>37898639
the meme is people that do it for over a year

what's best for you is to fucking lose weight asap.

all three of those routines are good. SS is a bit harder to do that SL because power cleans. So SL probably. it doesnt really matter tho

>How do u know when i hit Intermediate?
if you need to ask that question then you havent
>>
>>37898675
What's SL? I dont know the accronyms very well.

>if you need to ask that question then you havent
Well no, im only just starting. This is my first week. Already getting diet undercontrol.
>>
>>37898720
SL is stronglifts
dont worry about "beginner" or "intermediate". just do a beginner program and COUNT. CALORIES. that is the 100% most important thing
>>
>>37898780
So SL over Reg Parks?
>>
>>37899209
it doesnt matter. doing something slightly different really wont change anything. just do one of them and stick with it and tweak little things. lurk /fit/ and ask questions

above ALL: CALORIES CALORIES CALORIES CALORIES
>>
>>37899314
I already have the below part undercontrol. Going to do an EC stack too. Just couldnt decide on a program for my height and weight
>>
File: Screenshot_20160712-215033.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160712-215033.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
I'm 6'3 and currently 75kg, I'm building up muscles at the moment but somehow I still look fat, what do you think?
>>
>>37898639
Ss is a meme is a joke.

Look at the routines, they are all almost the same as ss. How would slightly more squatting make you fat and unaesthetic?
Don't be an idiot.

Ss is te second best novice program around.
Greyskull is a strong improvement on ss (imho)
Stronglifts was made by a guy who didnt understand anything about programming a novice routine for strength training, but also didnt fuck with the ss routine he plagiarized enough to fuck it up. Comes close. Stronglifts is basically a slightly shittier version of ss, and literally no different. People who call ss a meme and do sl are a joke.
ICF is an even shitter stronglifts. Just with unnecessary isolations that wont even affect muscle growth, only add to muscle fatigue.
Reg parks is decent, but not that great.
I would say greyskull is better for both aesthetics and strength. But reg parks is probably better than stronglifts.

>>37899209
Nah

Try
https://a.pomf.cat/uyuwms.pdf

Phrak's variant has great body symmetry (a vertical perss for every vertical pull, a horizontal press for every horizontal pull - no other novice routine has this amount of symmetry)

I would avoid putting many plugins in
Side lateral raise is my go to for ohp day. Delts can never be too big.
For the other days either a wrist extensor exercise, like reverse curl, reverse wrist curl, or forearm roller. Or a neck extensor exercise. Or just barbell shrugs

I like shrugs because big traps are assthedick as fuark
>>
>>37899399
fix your posture

you look like you have your shoulders rolled forwards
>>
>>37899355
Do not fuck wih memes like yohimbine or ec u til you are semi lean and plateauing in weightloss.

That way you will know first hand for sire 100% that they are just memes that make you feel like shit, and it all comes down to caloric intake anyways.

IF meme works better for psychological compliance to caloric restriction than those memes.
>>
>>37899452
Yeah, I always walk like that because I'm tall, get used to it when I have to duck for everything... working on it!
>>
>>37899399
It is like 90%
>>37899452
>posture
And 10% weak transverse abdominis.
Stomach vacuums, hanging vacuums, vacuum dumbbell pullovers, and proper bracing in the squat, deadlift, ohp, push press, etc will fix the TVA
Posture is corrected partially by lifting with proper form but mostly by stretching
>>
>>37899499
Uhm could you explain a little more, my english isn't that good, or it's simply the terminology I'm struggling with
>>
>>37899473
Scapular pull ups, and extremely wide grip pull ups (as wide as you can go while still allowing it to be possible to get your chin over the bar) are going to be your best friends.

Obviously you want lots of rear delt work too. A heavy pull for every press.
>>
>>37899499
Like ... what are stomach vacuums? Does it come from wrong foods, I'm currently changing my diet with more protein and less carbs
>>
File: Greyskull+LP.png (37 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
Greyskull+LP.png
37 KB, 700x600
>>37899425
hows the fit greyskull
>>
>>37899536
Ok, thanks man, I'll try
>>
>>37899523
Tva = transverse abdominis = google it.
Stomach vacuum is an exercise you can do (google that as well)

to increase the difficulty of the stomach vacuum (for when you have done them a bit and have some strength) you can hang from a bar while doing them (i recommend a low haning bar, so you can stomach vacuum while standing to get it as DEEP as possible, then grab the bar and bend your knees to hang while maintaining the vacuum). Or you can do an exercise like a dumbbell pullover while doing them...
...you comprehend?
>>
File: 4L_MrSQQitH.jpg (5 KB, 262x192) Image search: [Google]
4L_MrSQQitH.jpg
5 KB, 262x192
>>37898503
First of all good for you m8 for wanting to get in shape. Best of luck to you.

PUSH PULL LEGS is my favorite routine.

Push day
rest day
pull day
legs day
rest day
repeat

Example of muscles worked:
Chest Shoulders 1 triceps exercise
rest
Back and Biceps
Legs calves

do abs whenever they aren't sore. but don't do them every day

rotator cuff warmup
Incline bench press 4x12
Bench Press 4x12
Dumbbell shoulder Press 4x12
Incline dumbbell press 3x12
Arnold press optional
Flat bench Flys 3x10
Triceps Pushdown

rotator cuff warmup
Pull Ups 4xFailure (neutral grip)
Lat Pulldowns (watch that rotator)
one arm dumbbell rows
Seated Rows
21's
Biceps concentration curls 3x10

Legs

Abs: Look up Damien Patrick ab workout.
yea he roids don't expect to look like him but I like his ab workout.

I like a rest day in between push and pull day to give the rotator cuff time to recuperate. A lot of guys on steroids do PPLx but have no rest day, keep in mind they recover faster and their body can handle the stress.
>>
>>37899547
Literally the ICF of greyskull.

Trappy just blaha'd phraks variant lmao.

Add the equal parts of pulling vs pressing exercises, and take out the arm accessories.

..so basicaly phraks with side lateral raise lmfao
>>
>>37899581
Yeah, so doing the stomach vacuum while hanging on a bar?
>>
Does anyone have experience with ProgrammingToWin's novice course? There's too many programs and this one seems good.
>>
>>37899606
>PPL as a novice
Yea. Way to confirm you know nothing. Post body and natty status pls.
>bro you make hella gains progressively overloading the muscle only one time a week instead of three
And your routine doesnt even have more weekly volume than a 3x5 program

Same total volume + 1/3rd the progressive overload = 1/3rd the gains.

Dont take my word for it.
Have some legit, science driven info on the subject
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xB6EHn4H5LY
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8v6frDJHc
>>
>>37899669
No experience with it, but if you got a link i could check it out
>>
>>37899699
it's not 1 time a week, you work each group every 5 days. This was an example and something that's worked for me.
yea I'm natty
5'11 175 15%BF
>>
>>37899547
based on little more than 10 minutes reading and a whim, I'm adapting this program

Kinda sick of sitting around waiting for myself to decide if one program is better than another, because some activity is better than none

im fucking 24 and getting vericose veins and gout and been overweight for 10 years, fuck this
>>
>>37899712
http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/programmingtowin/ Here. I'm an absolute novice and am deciding between this and Greyskull. Thanks.
>>
>>37899734
I just looked at built lean body fat guide, I'm 10-12%
>>
>>37899734
>every 5 days
A ppl has you working them every 4 days, and a pp has you working them every 3 days
Pplpplx or ppxppx
>>
>>37899425
>tfw doing SL despite wanting to do SS because it has slightly less volume, because my doctor told me to not lift heavy weights with my back because of horseshoes kidney
>>
>>37899734
>1x frequency on a 5 day cycle
So what is that, 1.2x frequency?

Yea man, you are making .2 gains more than i gave you credit for. You sure showed me.
>>
>>37899859
Shh dont educate him about intermediate programming, or he will keep trying to give fitness advice.
>>37899868
Uh.. You are supposed to be lifting the same weight on sl as ss. You just lift it more times on sl. Until you stall because 5x5 is too much for a novice, then you drop to 3x5 just like ss (this one failsafe is the only savings grace sl has, else it would be unusable for a novice)
>>
>>37899802
For sure do that routine if powerlifting is your goal.
Greyskull if you just wanna get big
>>
>>37899885
then what would you suggest
>>
>>37899956
3x frequency fullbody linear program as a novice.
2x frequency PPL PP+L U/L or U/L/U (if lower body development is not a big concern) as an intermediate.
3-6x frequency, dynamic split (or a fullbody with auto regulation and periodization, however you want to look at it) as an advanced.
>>
>>37899915
Well shit, I shouldn't be lifting heavy at all anyway. I thought that because I lift a certain weight more times (or almost the same weight, whatever) it wouldn't affect my spine/lowerback/kidneys as much as it would affect if I incremented 5kgs/workout (instead of 2.5kgs/workout at SL). Again, doctor said no lifting with my back and no one could help me regarding this matter.
>>
>>37900013
Also to be fair, you are getting 1.4x frequency not 1.2x or 1x

So it is better than a brosplit to be sure, but i highly recommend you listen to than menno henselmans interview about intermediate advanced frequency.

He doesnt touch on novice frequency much, because all the data that exists strongly suggests 3x is the optimum balance of stimulus and recovery for an untrained/novice lifter, but iirc he talks about it
>>
CANDITO
A
N
D
I
T
O

best beginner routine imo
>>
OP here.
So what's the consensus for a Tall Fatasfatass?
>>
Seems like this would be a good place to ask this question:

What is a good beginner program that focuses exclusively on upper body? Due to some ankle problems as a result of running, I'm trying to stay away from legwork for the time being.

I'm semi-experienced in lifting. I did it for three years in high school gym class, but I only really took in seriously during the first year.

I recently tried doing SL, modified to only work my upper body, and with different reps/sets. I did:

4x8 Bench
4x8 Row
4x8 Pull (using this machine that works your back, inb4 machines)

How can I stretch this to a 3 or 4 day program. I figure if SL has you squat every time, couldn't I bench evey time? Any help is appreciated.
>>
+1 for Phrak's Greyskull I'm loving the program.

I do Triceps Pushdown+Facepulls on bench day and Lateral raises+Curls on OHP day for accessories.
>>
>>37900181
6'3 from before... You're my friend now, we'll make it together!
>>
>>37900181
It is the same.
Just eat less calories
>>
>>37900219
Add ohp.

Do like ohp + faggy pulling machine + accessories
Alternated with bench + row + more accessories.

You will only be able to handle so many worksets with heavy compounds, so add in volume with as many accessories as you can handle
>>
>>37898675
You cunt. He is self admittedly a starter and asking when to transition.
>>
>>37899425

This guy knows what's up. I did SL for ~4months as my first program and I was so unmotivated by the visual progress. My numbers were going up sure, but I still looked like shit. I've only done 1.5 months of Greyskull so far with the frequency chins plugin and I already look 100% better. My arms and back are finally growing.

Also I've been kind of fat most of my life so I have juicy legs already which made dropping squats down to 2x a week perfect for not overdeveloping my legs while my upper body catches up.

The one thing I'm going to add to the program is forearm work. If I wasn't fat I would add calf raises but my calfs are sick from being a fatty.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.