[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else had a labrum tear and then got it repaired and got
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: LabralTear_LG.jpg (123 KB, 700x304) Image search: [Google]
LabralTear_LG.jpg
123 KB, 700x304
Anyone else had a labrum tear and then got it repaired and got back into lifting?

I've had multiple dislocations and then a labrum repair but now it's been a good while since my surgery and I'm having some trouble with benching and overhead pressing
>>
Had a three to five (see clock face) labral tear, I didn't get surgery for it, just did physical therapy.

My lifting is pretty much back to status quo and improved even. I just remember to stretch and do mobility work before doing any heavy lifting to prevent future injuries.
>>
>>37889351
I'm just really worried about re-injuring it

Feels kind of unstable but I'm not sure if it's just the muscles/tendons being weak or that my literal shoulder joint is unstable
>>
Stabilize it by strengthening your rotator cuffs, look them up and learn how to involve your scapula more
>>
>>37889550
my shit hurts a lot doing external rotations
>>
both of my labrums are fucked up. I did PT for three months using exercises I found online. Plus started pressing 2-3x a week. Fixed them pretty well.

Gotta stop bench pressing though. That seems to screw with most guys who opt for PT instead of surgery.
>>
The problem is when you dont put strength on your shoulder ... If someone hits you or bumps you when you are distracted your shoulder will dislocate and that will happen again and again and more often
>>
>>37890000
but how can i strengthen it if it hurts and feels unstable?
>>
Did you at least get it checked? If so how big are the tears?
>>
>>37890301
>Then got it repaired
>And then a labrum repair

I got it repaired m8
>>
>>37889233
Both of mine from when I used to play soccer. Never got surgery, the doctors recommended it but basically said "if you aren't doing extrenuous exercise after this season it won't hinder you much if you strengthen the area"

At that point I didn't expect to be doing anything and just wanted to finish the season, but now ~3 years later they don't bother me anymore. The first year or so of lifting there were weeks I couldn't do anything but after enough time of strengthening everything I'm back to normal most of the time unless I tweak it
>>
>>37890346
>>37889233
Also make sure for bench your grip isn't too wide/your elbows are way out. I focus on keeping my elbows in a lot and it has taken away a lot of the frequency in them flaring up
>>
File: 56789765467.jpg (13 KB, 450x498) Image search: [Google]
56789765467.jpg
13 KB, 450x498
>>37890326
My b familia, anyways, don't start going crazy on the bench and OHP, ease back into your shoulder ROM

If external rotations hurt, start with holding pic related with band resistance from the side and take a step away, keeping your arm in the same position, then step back, do for reps.
>>
File: Labrum Tear 1.jpg (3 MB, 3750x3909) Image search: [Google]
Labrum Tear 1.jpg
3 MB, 3750x3909
Yeah, had a shoulder labrum tear

Sucked.
>>
>>37890392
How did you recover?

my shit feels alright mostly but if i use too narrow of a grip for some things my shoulder pops in a weird way.

>>37890365
It's been like 8 months since, still kind of hurts and it gets a bit aggravated from lifting.

I can do a lot of things pain free but some feel bad
>>
>>37890422
>How did you recover?
Mostly just stretching the joint out until I got full range of motion (took about 12 weeks).

Then slowly adding weights. Recovery took forever. I had the surgery in September of 2014. Wasn't able to use it without any issue until about May 2015.

Granted he also cleared bone spurs off my scapula, and cut part of the tip of my clavicle that was "crushed".

So my recovery may not be like yours. Mine was just sewn back together and re-anchored to the join. Not sure if that is any way similar to yours.

When I was in early recovery they told me popping was normal because of scar tissue. My arm was immobile for like 2 months.
>>
>>37890476
>>37890422
The 12 weeks I was in physical therapy btw, I didn't just do that shit by myself.
>>
>>37890476
I'm about 8-9 months out of surgery, getting back in the gym but my shoulder still isn't even close to equal.

How much external rotation do you have? If you put your arm out in front with palms facing each other at 90 degrees can you move your operated arm away from you as much as your non-operated one? I personally can't, by a good 15% or so i think

I dunno, my physio therapist didn't help too much. The program was too unintensive and seemed a bit more for elderly patients. I might visit a new PT to see if they can help
>>
>>37890513
pls reply.

How long did it take you guys to feel comfy with overhead press?

On dumbbell shoulder press my shit feels shaky as hell if I push the weight to where it sufficiently hits my shoulders (trouble pressing 27.5lb db without shakiness).

Overhead press with a barbell feels a bit off too, even with just the empty bar. I think I might just press the empty bar 3x10 for 3 weeks before trying to add some weight onto it. Bench press is at like 115x5 but is quite shaky still, I dunno.
>>
>>37890513
I have full range.

Make sure you see a PT that specializes in sports injuries. And tell them that you want to get back into lifting.

>>37890651
Like I said about May. If I do like 3x12 or something like that now (22 months after the fact) it can still feel a little funny but nothing crazy.

Make sure you are doing dynamic shoulder warmups before you exercise. And make sure you are hitting those rear delts.
>>
>>37890697
>Make sure you see a PT that specializes in sports injuries. And tell them that you want to get back into lifting.

I had one for the beginning of my recovery but honestly they didn't seem too interested in me. Considering finding another PT now but it's so far along but I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

A lot of them don't seem to know much if anything about lifting either, which is kind of frustrating. I'm considering seeing one this week since they offer a free consultation and I'm going to just ask em if they've dealt with these kinds of injuries, weightlifters, etc.

>And make sure you are hitting those rear delts.

Oh I definitely am but it feels a bit off on the rear delt fly machine. Bent over rows and cable rows mostly ok though.

Any advice on stretches? Working on my external rotation too much feels a bit wonky if I try to slowly stretch it out more...
>>
>>37890934
lay flat on your back. Elbow bent at 90. Arm perpendicular to your body. Rotate your forearm up and down.

Hands above head, slowly lower your arm until you can hit the floor.

Go into corner of the room, arms like you are benching, lean into the corner and push your arms past bench ROM.
>>
>>37891367
>Arm perpendicular to your body. Rotate your forearm up and down.

I can't do that.

It hurts and feels uncomfortable.

How the fuck do I find a good physiotherapist who understands lifting? I keep googling but so many of them seem like quacks or just for old people
>>
File: Turn.gif (8 KB, 280x281) Image search: [Google]
Turn.gif
8 KB, 280x281
>>37891389
>How the fuck do I find a good physiotherapist who understands lifting?

My surgery was done by a sports surgeon, and I just asked where they suggested to go.

>Perpendicular
If I wasn't clear enough, I was talking about "right turn" and "stop" of pic related.
>>
>>37891642
>If I wasn't clear enough, I was talking about "right turn" and "stop" of pic related.

I can't quite do that without feeling discomfort after a few "reps". Should I push through and just stretch it out?
>>
>>37891655
Just push till it hurts and hold, 3-5 sets of 15 seconds or so.
>>
>>37891977
i-is it even suppose to hurt?

I'm just worried with fucking up the repair and reinjuring it
>>
>>37892008
Bump
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.