[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is everyone at the gym so anti social?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12
File: 1468022755322.jpg (30 KB, 344x317) Image search: [Google]
1468022755322.jpg
30 KB, 344x317
Am I just autistic and they are reacting to it or do people at the gym kinda go into an in the zone type mode and don't want to talk that much?

Like I know guys at the gym and do that little mutual head nod thing and sometimes one of us will walk up to the other to talk, even had a guy I know spot me yesterday, but the whole time he seemed kinda mellow/had a neutral face

Dunno what to make of it
>>
cause we're forced to be with shitlords like you

some gyms are like that, some gyms are not.
>>
File: plebs.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
plebs.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
I got a home gym specifically so that I wouldn't have to interact with plebs while working out.
>>
>>37866712
this never again will i have to listen to some fucker ask if he can work in
>>
>>37866643
there are places to be social but the gym is not necessarily one of them
>>
>>37866643
Because we are there to lift, not to waste time talking to sperglords while our muscles go cold between sets.
>>
>>37866643
I'm not there to talk to your fag face.
>>
You people realize that the ones that chats and ducking around in the gym are the ones with no gains or cursed with tiny tiny calves!
>>
>>37866643
>kinda go into an in the zone type mode and don't want to talk that much?

Why the fuck would someone want to talk with you at the gym?

When you go to the dentist's, are you disappointed that people don't chat you up in the waiting room?

What about airports or libraries or public parks or theaters?

People are there for a purposes: to work out. Anything else is a distraction. It may be a pleasant distraction or a nuisance, but it is definitely a secondary consideration at best. Stop having bizarre expectations.
>>
>>37866643
I've only worked out alone once in the last 6~ months and it was today, ended up spotting and talking with some people there. Why are you guys such nerds?
>>
>>37868149
How do I get some of these guys I know to do shit outside of the gym?

I already got ones number, do I just offer to get food or something?
>>
>>37868231
the question is for normies because the gym is theonly hobby to us and the only place where we can find human interaction
>>
>>37868149
Pretty sure there's a comradery based on the mutual struggle for self improvement.
>>
>>37866643
I always take time out of my workout to talk to the people who actually lift seriously, whether they're a body builder, power lifter, oly lifter, or someone who's working super hard.

Just today I went to a gym close by my work and I was doing squats when I let a guy work in. Eventually we had 2 body builders, a few power lifters, and an oly lifter shooting the shit about commercial gyms and squatting.

Also the hottest girls are always the one's with their headphones in, and are super into their workouts, it helps to go up and talk to them about their routine or compliment their hardwork rather than giving form advice like all the other guys.

Takes a little bit to get out of zone mode for most of these guys but after a few head nods, spots, and a good conversation almost everyone turns joyful. Never talk to the groups of girl and guy bros who just do glutes/arms all day though.
>>
>>37866643
Because I was at the gym deadlifting and some geezer walks up to me telling me how to have proper form. I explain to the dude I'm coming back from a leg injury. He goes over to the squat rack and stacks on 2 pl8 and starts doing quarter reps. This is why I don't talk to people in the gym.
Half the people there just stare at you mid set and then turn away when you look back at them.
>>
File: 4L_bmnjWEXR.jpg (120 KB, 1080x1349) Image search: [Google]
4L_bmnjWEXR.jpg
120 KB, 1080x1349
>>37866643
no time for convo, 30-60s between sets
get in, hit the weights and get the fuck out to the beach
>>
>people putting themselves through strenuous activities
>op wondering why they aren't talking

Are you retarded op?
>>
File: chickennuggets.jpg (90 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
chickennuggets.jpg
90 KB, 750x750
>>37866643

I have this gym nemesis now that i've seen 3-4 times in the past two weeks or so

first encounter I saw him he was slamming weights around while I was talking with another guy that was working in to squat with me. He was throwing the bench around and looked pissed off or something. I'm not sure if he wanted to use the rack but he could of easily talked to us since I'm sure he saw me invite the other guy to work in instead of waiting. He was doing something on the smith machine close to us but I don't think it was a leg exercise, can't remember

Later in the workout I pass like 10 feet from him and gave him a nod, he looks at me like I killed his dog and ignores me.

next two times I saw him I institutionally gave him a nod because he locked eyes with me while we were passing each other. He stonefaces it and we end up just staring each other down because I'm guessing he's trying to get me to break eye contact first or get intimidated? IDK what his fuckin deal is. I want to just stop him and ask if everything is okay and please don't hurt yourself or some shit

last time I saw him I was literally 5 inches away from him passing by, once again made eye contact and I nodded and laughed because this was getting ridiculous. He quickly darted his eyes away this time instead of the stare down.

guys in good shape, kinda seems like a curlbro or something. Big shoulders/arms but I only see him on machines and in a tank top looking pissed off at the world

can't tell if hes autistic or just thinks hes better than everyone else / too good to acknowledge my presence.
>>
>>37866643

Mother fuckers who go to the gym to socialize have missed the point, the gym is the zen zone for most and not a cafe
>>
>>37868477
Man I need some good after gym socialization places any tips?
>>
What's the best time to go to the gym so I don't have to see these sperglords? Everytime it's young kids telling me to keep lifting because we're all gonna make it. Fuck off pls
>>
I hate it when some random dude is trying hard to start a conversation with me. I go there to train and get a deeper awareness of my body and not to waste my time with superficial interaction.
>>
>>37868651
>He's going to leave humanity behind
>>
>>37868237
>How do I get some of these guys I know to do shit outside of the gym?

I don't think you should go in there with that expectation. It should arise naturally and if it doesn't, you should be ok with that. People already have friends, usually. They're not actively looking to expand their current circles. Just be yourself. Don't *try* to make friends, but be friendly, and the conversations should arise naturally.
>>
>>37868964
Im gonna rephrase that

What should I ask late teens to early 20s urban college students during summertime to do with me?

I have this guys number already, he's been cool so far, what should I offer to do with him?
>>
>>37869020
suck his dick since you love him so much
>>
>>37869028
look niglord some of us are trying to make social gains alongside physical gains so take your autism somewhere else
>>
>>37869058
You're a fucking weirdo dude.
>>
>>37869058
You can meet lifters in a social enviornment, beach/club/festival. Use your head nigger
>>
>>37869058
>take your autism somewhere else
>what do I do with this guys phone number I got from the gym
>I'm trying to make friends

lol pls
>>
>>37869132
>weirdo

Normie scum detected, but for real give the guy a break isnt this where social autist go to try and not be wierd. OP in the gym whatever happens happens you cant force convos itll annoy people most of the time
>>
File: 1465445054921.png (71 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1465445054921.png
71 KB, 220x220
>>37869132
>wants to interact with people instead of being a a mute autist
>>37869202
Ok fine, I'm thinking I'm just gonna text the guy later and offer to grab lunch at one of the local places right next to the gym

Easy

You guys are a bunch of defeatist niglords

>>37869217
I dont even force em I meet cool people learn each others names, good shit, the whole point of the thread was complaining that people dont wanna do anything beyond low level talk and was wondering what to do about it
>>
>>37869231
>having a lunch date with your little gym homo

lol you ARE gay
>>
>>37869241
Faggot either come up with something better or fuck off
>>
File: me ponderchin.jpg (75 KB, 541x543) Image search: [Google]
me ponderchin.jpg
75 KB, 541x543
I like talking to the old farts and leather skin milfs desu
I can feel the same insecurity that I have when interacting with the Young'uns in the gym. I think it's a hormonal issue. In a hypermasculine environment it can be hard to be friendly if you're not comfortable in your own skin.
Very strange but also very interesting
>>
well. i generally dont talk to anyone because what is there to talk about?

i dont know anything about you, im not going to clumsily ask 'hey bro what do you do, how old are you, you got a gf' etc just to find conversation fodder. (i also adhere to my gym policy, which ill remind you im sure you initialed in the agreement when you signed up, to never speak to the women. so right there, thats an automatic... 7% or so of the entire gym population.)

if i do talk to you its going to be able lifting. and there are so so so many different approaches virtually no one does anything the same, so the convo just ends up you both tiptoeing around not insulting eachothers retarded and totally wrong way of doing it... while trying to talk about doing it.

im not antisocial though, i just think people realize theres really no real reason to talk.
>>
I already spend like 2 hours at the gym without doing any talking man, I would be there forever if I cared to chat with people.
>>
>>37869231
You're over thinking it.
Just text him the next time you're going to the gym and ask if he wants to workout with you.
>>
I met my best friend at the gym. I also met some cool people. Not one bitch though - now workout at home.
>>
>>37869431
Now that sounds semi-gay
We see each other often enough I can just roll up and ask for spotting help or whatever
>>
>>37868012
Oi fuck you m8 calves are genetic and you know it

>biggest guy at my gym
>working out 15yrs
>played collegiate basketball
>obviously knows his shit
>still has relatively small calves
>>
>>37866643
I've only talked to a couple people, some girl was talking to me while I was on one of those bike things. My endurance has gone down hill since I last rode anything. Used to be a cyclist.
>>
File: 1383428504504.gif (168 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1383428504504.gif
168 KB, 375x375
>>37869453
>tfw you have superior leg genetics
>>
>>37866643

I'm talking. I'm just talking to the weights.

t. Guy who screams at the bar before lifting it off the rack
>>
>>37866643
Behavior in the gym would be like stepping into a library or church. No messing around.
>>
>>37866643
All i want to do in the gym is listen to my music and work out, this isnt a fucking meet and greet
>>
yes, when i am working out i am trying to work out.

it's a gym, not a bar.

you're doing it wrong.
>>
You're a pathetic faggot, holy shit. Maybe if you had friends and people who care about you, you wouldn't bother others at the gym.
>>
>>37870281

hm, most people on sites like 4chan have plenty of people that care about them. the problem is that they don't care about themselves and project that onto their families.
>>
>>37870293
Spoken like a true foreveralone.mp3
>>
I stare at chicks and then when they stare back I look away does that count?

Fuck all the fags who lift for like 10 minutes and then socialize for 2 hours. Theres at least 3 of them like that in my gym
>>
Most gymgoers used to be introverts who tried to compensate for their shit social skills with big muscles. Now it has changed a bit and there are probably more extroverts at gyms but the tradition of being quiet at the gym continues.
>>
>>37866643
I come to do a workout, not to socialize. I'm still learning how to do the compound lifts correctly. I chat after I'm finished and drink my lmao1scoop.
>>
>>37870307

nah fampai, just someone who realized that a.) i do have family and friends that care about me a fuckton, even when i didn't care about them and b.) my issue was that i didn't love myself.
>>
>>37866712
>>37867168
must suck to have social anxiety disorder
>>
File: 1429917115536.jpg (263 KB, 1320x1561) Image search: [Google]
1429917115536.jpg
263 KB, 1320x1561
Saying hey and goodbye is acceptable, sitting down for a chat for 10-20 minutes with someone who is trying to work out is not.
>>
File: lifting time.jpg (9 KB, 299x168) Image search: [Google]
lifting time.jpg
9 KB, 299x168
>>37866643
When im at the gym im there to workout.
Sure ill have an occasional friendly exchange, or banter, but never a full blown conversation
>>
>>37868433
if you're in better shape than him he might be just be jelly and unable to mire
>>
>>37868924
>imply that's not the best choice
>>
I go to a gym with mostly older people and teens
I'm bigger than >95% of the gym goers that come here
I notice that especially the teens are just anxious
I guess they think I'm an alpha male or something
>walk in the locker room after upper body day
>dat pump
>bunch of dyel 16 year olds
>I nod and say hi
>they look away in fear
>>
>>37868237

what, are you trying to date them ?
>>
people are there to work out not to fucking talk
get over it you oversocialized effeminate piece of shit
>>
>>37868518
No
>>
>>37866643
the gym is a like a work place with a very mean boss and he sees everything you are doing. Gotta stay professional so i won't get fired.
>>
There was this girl at my gym who used to stop people and talk to them about bullshit in her life for like 15 minutes. Used to make me so mad.
Also getting friends into working out. One would sit sideways on the bench and talk to me the whole time.

Like fuck people I wear huge ass headphones take a hint and fuck off I'm here to lift, this isn't a bar. Fuck you if you try to make extended conversation in the gym that isnt gym related.
>>
>>37866643
>in the zone
YOU are supposed to be in the zone, son, not looking around hoping to find someone with a shit-eating grin pasted across their face.
>>
>these dyels who are talking longer than using the equipment

pls go

some people are trying to get something done at the gym
>>
>>37868433
I usually nod/greet people who look at me in the eyes long enough. Most of them greet back, but there's some who give you the death stare for some reason. I'm not talking about just in the gym environment, btw. But yeah, those who don't greet back are usually the agressive,take-themselves-too-seriously type
>>
>>37868433
What state are you in and does the guy have super short hair/baldness?
>>
>>37868406
>30-60s between sets
what are you lifting babby weights?
>>
>>37868477
>hurr durr muh iron temple
I agree about not socializing at the gym but don't make the gym seem anything more than a place to pick up heavy shit to make your muscles contract harder
>>
>>37868518
B.E. yourself, entirely
>>
>>37869231
Make sure to wait 2 days at least, you don't want to seem desperate. Remember, after the 3rd date is when you have sex.
>>
>>37869370
>i also adhere to my gym policy, which ill remind you im sure you initialed in the agreement when you signed up, to never speak to the women.
I refuse to believe that
>>
File: 1466148542199.jpg (75 KB, 400x582) Image search: [Google]
1466148542199.jpg
75 KB, 400x582
>>37872961
>>37873133
>>37874634
>>37874662
Well how do you ever get people to do shit who you are starting to become bros with but you never see each other outside of one place?
>>
>>37875120
I talk to them at that place and offer to get something to eat after working out. You're dense.
>>
>>37869058
>some of us are trying to make social gains
>take your autism somewhere else

Holy fucking autism
>>
The worse thing about gym is when someone asks you if you are using a piece of equipment and you tell them yes. They stand over you like a vulture waiting for you to finish so instead of finish yoyr sets and do your excersise you just do something else and come back later. These people have no fucking etiquette
>>
File: 1466897912229.jpg (106 KB, 800x628) Image search: [Google]
1466897912229.jpg
106 KB, 800x628
>>37868533
>tfw you are one of these young kids
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.