[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is probably bullshit but im going to ask anyway. At mother
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: vitamins.jpg (236 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
vitamins.jpg
236 KB, 1000x1000
This is probably bullshit but im going to ask anyway.

At mother in laws place and she randomly brings up some study she saw on tv.

The author of said study claims that vitamins and nutrients cant fully be absorbed unless cooked a certain way and paired with a certain item.

My mind immediately calls bullshit as i dont see why our body would descriminate against vitamin b6 just because it didnt come with spinach or quinoa or a bun. What are your thoughts
>>
Wizard's First rule

People are stupid. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.
>>
>>37861444
Its just like how people believe eating jamba juice or Keva juice would be healthy but its just slot of sugar in a drink. Might as well drink a soda.
>>
>>37861427
There is some truth to this but I don't know the specific study you are referring to. And it is a complex question you are asking. Put it simply.
>some vitamins are fat soluble
>some water soluble
>sometimes certain cooking techniques: Fermentation, heat, and combos can alter or create new compounds in your food.
>multi vitamins do work in a pinch but often you miss out on micronutrients and other benefits like probiotics from a balanced diet and they often overdose what you actually need so you pay to shit out extra vitamins
>>
>>37861427
It's an exaggeration, you don't have to worry about it in practice.
>>
>>37861427
cooking breaks down some of the proteins making them easier to digest.
>>
>>37861427
>i dont see why our body would descriminate against vitamin b6 just because it didnt come with spinach or quinoa or a bun
there's a difference between "fully absorbed" and "not absorbed at all". nothing is every fully absorbed because your digestive system isn't perfectly efficient. the various components of your foodstuff don't occur in a vacuum and do affect digestion/absorption, but the effects are usually exaggerated.
>>
>>37861590
This is the correct answer OP
>>
>>37861444
fuckin based sword of truth (fav book series desu)
>>
>>37862620
desu?
>>
>>37862636
It's a filter for t.bh desu
>>
>>37861427
I remember reading or hearing about this a while back. They gave a lot of examples like tomatoes should be paired with a food containing fat because lycopene is important and is fat soluble so you need fat to absorb it. There were lots of other examples. The conclusion was that pairing the right foods is important from a nutritional perspective but no need to take action to drastically change anything because foods that pair nutritionally also tend to taste good together so we are naturally taking advantage of it. What do you eat tomatoes with normally? BLT, a burger or sandwich, salad with oil and vinegar or other fatty dressing.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.