[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has cleared, can we discuss how idiotic of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 1446171195921.jpg (39 KB, 440x808) Image search: [Google]
1446171195921.jpg
39 KB, 440x808
Now that the dust has cleared, can we discuss how idiotic of a routine SS(starting strength) is?

>No upperback work
>No direct arm work
>No work on rear delts
>Heavy back squats and deadlifts on the same day

It feels like a troll routine that works just well enough to fool people.

Also what's up with the cult-like ""community"" of it where anything straying outside of the """program""" is "NOT FOLLOWING THE ROUTINE" and thus a deadly sin and horrible?

Do retards honestly think if you add in hammer curls, face pulls and tricep extensions all of a sudden you'll stop making progress on your squat or some shit?
>>
>>37854802

Did your last sentence just implicitly concede that SS, with some isolation work added in, is an effective program?
>>
>>37854819
>Did your last sentence just implicitly concede that SS, with some isolation work added in, is an effective program?

And upper back work that is severely being lacked.

But yes I see no reason not to do direct arm work. what exactly will it hurt to do some curls and tricep isolations once a week? Just looks idiotic when you squat 365x5 and then your biceps look like they have atrophied from being bedridden for a decade
>>
explain urself cucks
>>
NEVER DOUBT RIPPETOE
>>
>>37854845
post a video of someone deadlifting 4 plates with a weak upper back

All you need to do is add pull-ups. SS is GOAT for beginners
>>
>>37854802
I don't like ss

But

>chinups
>upper back work

Pick two
>>
>>37855006
Why not add face pulls to counteract two heavy pushing movements?

Why not add in tricep and bicep isolations?

Why not do front squats on deadlift day instead to not interfere with your deadlifts?
>>
SS isn't even a muscle building program in my opinion. It's to get people out of that phase where they look shaky and aids whenever they do any of the big three, and get them out of there fast
>>
>>37855024
This. People take it too far and do SS for months and months sometimes even wandering into years because they can't into routines. Unless you're going for power bottom you should NOT do SS for more than a few months.
>>
>>37855024
This. You're expecting more out of it than it's intended for. This is a program for total novices and skellies to put together a decent foundation to move forward with.
>>
>>37855017

you realise you can add those in to SS right? Like it states in the book to add isolations if you want.
>>
If I can't do a pull up, what type of dumbbell isolations should I add?

I'm now doing rows AND the press as well as a few hammer curls. Anything else?
>>
>>37855053
He says you're not doing the program if you do.
>>
>>37854802
>hurrdurr this routine serves a different goal than mine
>>
>>37855205
It's a good routine but it has a few severe blatant flaws
>>
File: 1453952825851.jpg (614 KB, 900x1240) Image search: [Google]
1453952825851.jpg
614 KB, 900x1240
What do you suggest as an alternative opie?
>>
>>37855228
Babylover's variation of starting strength
>>
>>37855193

No he doesn't he says you can add isolations, you haven't read the book desu. He says not to remove any compounds.
>>
>>37854802
>"We want these exercises to train lots of muscles through a long range of motion. We like it when some muscles are called into function as other muscles drop out of function, and when muscles change their function during an exercise. This is because we are training for strength, to increase the force we produce in a big, general movement pattern; we are not training a "favorite muscle." We are not concerned with our favorite muscles. We do not have favorite muscles."

The novice linear progression is not a bodybuilding or powerlifting program. It's a strength program.
>>
>>37855228
SL?
>>
>>37854802

You haven't actually read the book. Rippetoe recommends a few isolation exercises and chinups for upper back development.
>>
>>37855187
do chins ups until you can do pull ups
>>
>>37855228
Greyskull is heaps good, i would recommend
>>
>>37854802
OP I suggest you read the book. What you say of SS is true for the 0.1 version that keeps getting memed around.
>Accesories for arms/direct bicep work
In the book
>Chinups/pulllups
In the book
>Lack of upper back work
What are deads and power cleans
>Why not front squat on DL day
Guess where this one is also

All in all OP, looks you got memed hard, probably on reddit, but SS is a brretty good program
>>
>people still not realising that SS is a stepping stone into intermediate programs

Enjoy getting stuck on that 1plate squat doing your brosplit. I did SS for some months and all of my isolation lifts doubled.
>>
>>37854802
Let's discuss morons who expect serious results in 3 to 6 months that SS is aimed at. Start with OP.

What a mouthbreathing idiot, am I right you guys?
>>
>>37854802
Every time some faggot retard posts some shit about "lol SS is dumb", they admit that they never read the book.
>>
File: 1343752042528.jpg (23 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1343752042528.jpg
23 KB, 576x432
>>37854802
>this routine designed to give me a decent foundation after my first few month of lifting doesn't turn me into a 10/10 aesthetics god
>Know do you want to know how a real routine looks?
>CHECK THIS OUT: SS+accessories
>>
>>37857857
I don't know how to read.
>>
>>37855048
>>37855049
I'm curious, what would you guys consider a good point to stop doing it?

I lifted for a while but had to stop due to injuries, and haven't picked it back up for mental health reasons, but I'm nearing skellie mode again, and looking to get back into it after I finish rehab.
>>
If I'm a skelly dyel, is SS a good foundation to start with? Is Greyskulls too advanced for me now?
>>
>>37859245
I'm currently doing greyskull and im enjoying it. Every lift is increasing bar ohp but that's my own fault I reckon. Greyskull too is a beginners program, it's fairly alike SS, but more upper body centered. I'd recommend reading the book, it's a short read
>>
>>37859263
thanks man.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.