[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>start working out with my friend >he's morbidly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: homer consider.jpg (7 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
homer consider.jpg
7 KB, 259x195
>start working out with my friend
>he's morbidly obese but has been working to change his shit around
>he's used to working out for 30 minutes, I train with him properly and we work out for an hour
>after 2-3 weeks he is starting to make excuses of feeling pain in this, and that, blah blah blah

I can't tell if he is just making excuses because his fat ass self is getting tired?

Should I tell him to push through it?

Should I let him figure this out himself?
>>
>>37838654
Modify a bit give some ground so you don't come off as a hard ass prick. The most important thing is that he keeps going. It's an acquired taste. If you make sure he keeps going he'll acquire it but if you try to make everything perfect at first he'll get frustrated and quit
>>
>>37838713

well he has some free weights that he used at home, so this isn't super new to him.

I just don't know if he's being a bitch or what...

I don't want him to hurt himself.
>>
>>37838654
It may be DOMS, or maybe he strained something, or maybe he's just a bitch.
I started getting exertion headaches from fucking up military press like 3 weeks after I started, it goes away with some rest.
>>
>>37838654
Make him him to go to the gym anyway, make him do bodyweight squats, do deadlifts with a broom handle.

If he's just lazy and unmotivated and giving pain as an excuse he'll hate this even more than working out for real, he'll complain about it being pointless, sigh loudly, and be a whiny bitch all over. If he's just in pain he won't have any problems with it.
>>
>>37838988
Sneaky but true I likes your thought process senpai
>>
>>37838772
Naw dude no home stuff that's where you let yourself slide while mo ones looking. Have a few days walking incline treadmill or ride bike to limber up
>>
>>37838988
I guess, but he likes working out...he told me. I don't think he's lying, I can spot liars pretty easily.

He even follows fitness people on IG and youtube and shit.

I'm not really questioning his motivation, I'm questioning his knowledge of pain, and whether he should push through it, or if it's good to push through it.
>>
It's hard to say. DYELs often can't actually tell the difference between DOMS and an actual injury.
>>
There's different kinds of pain and they're indicative of different issues.

The dull aches in your muscles at rest are just DOMS and are normal and you workout through them.

Sharp pains when you move a muscle through a particular point in your ROM are indicative of a strain or tear, and need to be rested, and after they are rested you need to deload down to a weight where you can go through the form correctly -- as these generally happen when someone is trying to do more weight than they should for that amount of reps; but as long as it's not a stabilizer for other exercises there's no reason not to continue to do other exercises (i.e. if you hurt your shoulder you can continue to do legs that week while it rests).
>>
>>37839109
good information, thanks.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.