[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this exercise safe to do if you have had a labrum repair surgery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Face-Pulls.jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
Face-Pulls.jpg
60 KB, 550x366
Is this exercise safe to do if you have had a labrum repair surgery for instability before?

I'm considering adding it to my routine on both A and B workouts since I figure a light weight for 3x12 should help strengthen my shit up. But I'm worried about it fucking my shit up instead
>>
you know your body better than us

start super light and see if it feels comfortable
>>
>>37837189
did you have posterior or anterior instability?
>>
>>37837197
But the thing I don't get is what's right or what isn't.

If my shoulder feels weird, I'd probably think that maybe my muscles/tendons are just weak still from the surgery, so if i keep working at it it'll fix itself.

but what if in actuality i'm fucking my shit up? You know what I mean?

Like what's the difference between your shoulder getting very tired/shaking on reps and FUCKING YOUR SHIT UP?
>>
>>37837189
whoah man, that's like an actual medical question, we're not equipped for that shit
our qualifications consist of telling you to squat lower
>>
>>37837211
Posterior

Shoulder kept dislocating. But it was asymptomatic other than that.

Like I had full ROM and full strength, no pain at all but sometimes when swimming it would pop out, or when i reached back, or when i did overhead press once.
>>
>>37837213
start light dickead. ffs.
>>
>>37837213
so don't do any overload
stay at that super-light weight until the shoulder feels completely stable, and THEN put a little more on
>>
>>37837225
>>37837235
Ok but I mean if I'm lets saying doing it with 20lbs and it feels a bit shaky, how can I know if it isn't just unused to that specific movement and I'll adapt versus being harmful and i'll eventually fk myself up? You get me?
>>
File: s.png (658 KB, 795x354) Image search: [Google]
s.png
658 KB, 795x354
>>37837222
face pulls are pretty great for stability
do them with the external rotation component added into the movement
start light, 3x15 - 20
>>
>>37837320
Doc said not to go too far back on external rotation though, facepulls seem fine though right? Doesn't seem excessive

I'll try em out on Saturday! Thanks
>>
>>37837337
yeah take it easy, build it up
the higher your hands are the more external rotation you have
pulling to your mouth (like in that pic) is more rear delts/traps etc
see what feels good
>>
>>37837352
How much would you advise?

I watched the Omar isuf video on it, that any good? He advises like a double-bicep pose-type end of movement
>>
>>37837394
yeah that sounds okay

You can them do them a couple of days every time if you keep the weight light
for strength every other day
so for example
MO WE FRI heavier 3x12-15
and then extra sets of 3x20 with light weight (or a band if you have those) throughout the day and on rest days
>>
>>37837446
True true.

Yeah I guess i'll go extremely light and just work at it, if you go heavy this seems like an excellent way to destroy yourself for good.

Plus i'm too weak to do them heavy anyway, still recovering from the surgery man.

stats right now: 110x5 bench press, 150x5 squat, 205x5 deadlift, 120x8 lat pulldown, 95x5 bb row, 25lb db shoulder press(going to work a bit on it then try out ohp with barbell)
>>
>>37837470
how long ago did you have the surgery?
what did the doc/physio tell you about rehab?
Heavy facepulls (as long as you can maintain good form) are actually a pretty solid exercise to counteract all the heavy pressing and benching that the regular gymbro does
>>
>>37837491
Some what a while back, they really didn't say all that much. I might see another physio to see what they have to say though, it's just hard finding one that's actually into lifting or knows what any of the stuff is
>>
File: s.png (98 KB, 719x689) Image search: [Google]
s.png
98 KB, 719x689
>>37837514
It's important to strengthen your rotator cuff
>external rotation
>face pulls
Also light overhead pressing and side raises are nice (side raises all the way till your arm is overhead, (not 90 degrees like you usually see)
keep your thumbs upwards on the side raises to avoid internal rotation
Also you should probably do some scapula work everyday at home
You can look up scapula pushups and scapular walls slides and do those in sets of 15 throughout the day for some dynamic scapula training
as time goes by you can increase the intensity until you lift normally
also every now and then do internal rotations with a cable to see how that feels, you should have a better ROM too over time
pic related is from the Rehabilitation Guidelines
for Posterior Shoulder Reconstruction with or without Labral Repair
>>
>>37837611
>as time goes by you can increase the intensity until you lift normally
that's mainly for your pressing compounds etc
>>
>>37837611
>as time goes by you can increase the intensity until you lift normally

I'm lifting normally now bro. It's been months.

>also every now and then do internal rotations with a cable to see how that feels, you should have a better ROM too over time

Before every work(and every day really) I do internal rotations with a cable with 7.5lbs on each arm for ~15 reps And then I do 2.5lb external rotations for ~15 reps for each arm.

Also I do lateral raises but with my thumb facing downwards with 5lb dumbbells for 15 reps a bit in front of my side.

That good?
>>
>>37837692
> I do lateral raises but with my thumb facing downwards
m8 thats gonna fuck up your shoulders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5sNYB1Q6aM do them like he says
>>
Hey brah, I used to have a lot of shoulder instability and it mostly fixed itself cause of lifting.
I advise you to do the lightest weight possible (probably 2 stones of the stack, or just one if it is very well lubricated) for 12-15 reps untilit feels like you are doing no work whatsoever (estimated about 8-10 months in), then add weight gradually.
Avoid internal rotation like the plague cause it will fuck you up. Be very careful with your pullup/pulldown form, and also do OHP.
Good luck
>>
>>37837767
>m8 thats gonna fuck up your shoulders

Huh? That way it focuses specifically on the rotator cuff muscles, even my PT told me to do it.
>Athlean-x
This guy literally says every single exercise is dangerous
>>
>>37837799
>estimated about 8-10 months in

w-what? That long for face pulls?

>Avoid internal rotation like the plague cause it will fuck you up
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>37837800
m8 Athlean-x has trained professional athletes who job is on being healthy all season
avoid internal rotation like that or you're gonna stay hurt
>>
>>37837800
I'm not the dude you are replying to, but even if Jeffy Jeff is a meme it doesn't mean he's not on point here. Do it like he says, there are better exercises for the supra/infraspinatus.
>>
>>37837813
>w-what? That long for face pulls?
considering the stats you posted. Take into consideration the form of the exercise means your leverage is shitty, and if you go up in weight too fast you'll end up using loose form, your traps WILL take over the movement and it will be for nothing.
>Avoid internal rotation What do you mean by this?
upright rows, bad form bench (incline/decline/flat), rear delt exercises on internally rotated shoulders and such might cause impingement (or worse)
>>
>>37837309
Bruh you were supposed to learn that in PT
>>
>>37837514
>I might see another physio to see what they have to say though, it's just hard finding one that's actually into li

where are you from? maybe look for a sportscentre or a physio that works with rugy players/american football players
those guys have fucked up shoulders so a physio working with those usually has quite some expertise in the shoulder department
>>
>>37837873
>rear delt exercises on internally rotated shoulders and such might cause impingement (or worse)

What do you mean?

I do rear delt flys on the machine and I keep my scapula protracted during the whole movement only to pull with my rear delts. Is that bad? I'm assuming that's what you mean by internally rotated
>>
>>37837896
Guess I'll look a bit more, I'm thinking of just calling some up and asking if they've worked with labrum injuries and such. It's just hard to find one that lifts...
>>
>>37837873
Seems to say otherwise:

>To actually isolate the rear delts the shoulder blades shouldn’t move. Fully protract (push forward) the shoulder blades and keep them there throughout rear delt isolation exercises to properly isolate rear delts and take the scapula retractors out of the movement.

>Even fully retracting them is inferior because they have to maintain that, meaning they are under isometric tension, and often the weight will overpower this isometric and move them anyway, so they still end up moving when you try to keep them fully retracted.
>>
>>37838145
They feel shitty to my shoulders, ymmv tho
>>
>>37837189
A good start is to do the movement correctly, not like the guy in that picture
>>
>>37838201
>They feel shitty to my shoulders, ymmv tho

Just wondering but how do you do your rear delt isolations?

how far do you do them? According to this article and some black guy who featured on Omar Isuf's channel they say that the movement of rear delt flyes should not actually be very much, maybe you're going too far and then also pulling your shoulder blades back which might feel bad
>>
>>37838209
yeah ik, it's random picture from google. I've watched a few videos on the form on youtube, seems simple enough
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.