[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ why are you anti crossfit? I mean look at these guys, they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13
File: kenneth-leverich.jpg (2 MB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
kenneth-leverich.jpg
2 MB, 1936x1936
/fit/ why are you anti crossfit? I mean look at these guys, they look pretty fit?

Take a look at Kenneth Leverich pic related, looks better than 98% of fit.
>>
>>37830146
Because most people assume that crossfit is just high rep metcons/circuits
>>
I don't do crossfit at all but a lot of oper8tors I've talked to fuckkng swear by it.

Don't get it.
>>
>>37830176
What is a typical crossfit workout actually like?
>>
Top crossfitters come from other athletic backgrounds with much of their base strength coming from before they joined. They keep or improve their strength with staple progression through proper overloading and programming, and really only use WODs coming up to competition to adapt to the competitions. They're also on the juice.
>>
>>37830146
Because most people assume that CrossFit is just high rep metcons/circuits

The problem here is that most people who chat shit don't even know what CrossFit is
>>
>>37830176
They also associate crossfit with the soccer mom classrooms that do mixed grip deadlifts to power cleans
>>
>>37830146
>Why are you anti-scientology
>I mean, look at Tom Cruise, hes pretty cool?
>>
I have a friend that's been doing CrossFit for a little less than a year. He's put on good size and is pretty fucking strong, but he said his shoulders are already starting to fuck up. He's only 19 too.
>>
>>37830146
Those guys don't do crossfit
>>
File: 0091 - gu0XYfy.jpg (10 KB, 234x250) Image search: [Google]
0091 - gu0XYfy.jpg
10 KB, 234x250
>>37830244
u wot mate?
>>
File: 1433028691776.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1433028691776.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>37830254
http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/21343

ok anon
>>
>>37830196
It usually looks like this

●General mobility, warm-up and injury prevention
●Strength/Skill work (Can be weightlifting oriented ie Snatch or C&J, PL oriented like Squat or a variation, bench press or DL most of the time using a conventional stance. Or gymnastics like strict/weighted work on the rings or bars like weighted pull-ups, muscle ups, dips, HSPUs, L-sits etc...) starting with a specific warm-up, warm-up sets then working sets followed by assistance work.

●Metabolic conditioning: Can be either
- Long distance effort like a 5k on the bike, a half marathon row, a chipper etc
- Short distance effort or HIIT like a Couplet/Triplet, a short circuit, interval work
-Every minute on the minute

●Optional BB Work for beach muscles etc

●Cooldown

>>37830222
It's called a continental clean that strongmen use, but most people don't know how to do it, hell I don't know how to do it
>>
>>37830193
yeah because they are naturally athletic and can actually apply those skills in their job. your average skinnyfat fag who works in an office is on a one way trip to snap city
>>
>>37830146
rugby player who transitioned into dominating crossfit...
>>
>>37830254

Those images are from the crossfit games
>>
>>37830207
Not all of the top CFers come from strength related sport backgrounds

Rich Froning was a failed baseball player who became a firefighter

Dan Bailey was just a sprinter

Noah Ohlsen practically started up with CF

Sara Sigmundsdottir was literally a fatty

I think we can't really judge the efficiency of CrossFit until the next generation of athletes who started up doing crossfit and nothing else reaches it's peak performance. There's already 13 year old kids in the teen division Clean and jerking 100kg for doubles
>>
>>37830146
I respect crossfiters just from the fact that a lot of them can do muscle ups on rings for reps which is something 99% of this board cant do.
>>
These crossfitters represent a miniscule minority of crossfitters, their facilities represent a minority of crossfit facilities, their trainers represent a minority of trains.
Taekwondo is an Olympic martial art, those guys doing it competitively are cool, they're all fit and shit and good at what they do, and that's good for them.
that ain't you, practicing with 10 year olds the the local day-care taekwondo.
>>
>>37830381
>competitors
>a minority
>+300k competitors in the Open this year
>>
>>37830381
People who are really competitive in taekwondo are the biggest pussies.
If you knew anything about the sport you'd know that.
>>
>>37830304
This type of stuff doesn't seem bad like the group pull up shit u see online.
Looking at seth rollins instagram opened my eyes to what it really is
>>
Crossfit is good if it's what you're after. The problem is that they license out gyms (fuck you I'm not calling it a box) to anyone, so you have people who don't have the proper training leading people in working out. So they injure themselves

It's like with any form of weightlifting. If you do it wrong, it's not the fault of the system. It's just that you didn't do it right

This coming from a bodybuilder
>>
>>37830420
That's what the basics of programming look like for anyone taking CrossFit seriously, none of that 20min light effort a day shit

There's Crossfit invictus whose wods are really good on their website.
>>
>>37830411
can confirm, took taekwondo and karate as a child, everyone that got too into it was a lil bitch and couldn't hold their own outside of sparring
>>
>>37830411
yeah yeah yeah we get it it's not MMA and has a greater emphasis on landing blows and scoring points instead of knocking out the other dude, like nearly every asian martial art done competitively. Are you happy now? Does it piss you off that you weren't allowed to crush spines in high school wrestling?
Is there something wrong about being good within a games given parameters?
>>37830401
Yeah, and you've shown us one, in an open competition that costs 20 dollars for entry, that you can compete from at your local crossfit gym.
>>
>>37830304
Just goes to show that Crossfit is literally just branding. What you've posted has been around for decades: Warm up, strengthwork, conditioning, accessories, and cool down.
>>
>>37830146
Cause like 70% of Crossfitters not only snap their shit up but also because the top athletes in don't even train Crossfit until like a few weeks out from a comp
>>
>>37830514
Since you're that stubborn, let's narrow the fuck out of it to the number of spots available at the Regionals where only the top athletes in a region qualify.

Theres 40 men, 40 women and 30 teams of 6 in every region that makes it to the regionals.
CrossFit divides it's competitions in 17 regions. That gives us 4,420 qualified to the regionals
Split that over the 13 000 something boxes across the world, that gives us 3 world class athletes in every box. So clearly not a minority considering most classes don't allow much people in.
>>
>>37830325
>operator
>naturally athletic

This must mean something different for you. At my job "operators" are guys who sit in a room all day and maybe get up 2 or 3 times a shift to turn a valve or something.
>>
>>37830548
Exactly
But their ideology of mixing up strength, gymnastics and conditioning hasn't been brought up to a competitive field before int's creation in the late 80s

>>37830549
>top athletes in don't ven train Crossfit

Yes they do
>>
>>37830514
I wrestled as well and loved it.
Wrestling was rough, taekwondo wasnt. Once people get competitive its less about athleticism or skill. Its more about strategy and tricking your opponents however you can. Just look at most tournaments. Most people just stare at each other but never initiate so they can bait their opponent and react which is much easier. And whoever gets tired and decides to be aggressive loses 90% of the time. Its just a shitshow where the first person to get tired mentally will lose.
>>
>>37830146
we were having a work comp because everyone was getting fat, i did it for a couple weeks till i sprained my ankle. (non crossfit related). It is actually surprisingly fun, I was a hater for it till i tried it.

some shit is dumb, like speed deadlifts for reps, but a lot of it was fun.

our trainer preached form, i am pretty strong (315 b, 405 s, 515 dead) but wasnt allowed to do a lot of the more technicaly movements with weight I know I could put up because i would probablly hurt myself, so we worked on form for alot of the time, then our workouts were all things everyone could do, and did it for time, or reps

all in all, was a lot more fun then I expected.
>>
>>37830583
Spec ops such as seals are called operators. And also half of /k/ prepares for their moment in the light when the world turns upside down so they can operate Inna woods
>>
File: a3Cgs.jpg (396 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
a3Cgs.jpg
396 KB, 1920x1080
>>37830146
>Coworker is a crossfitter
>Can't shut up about crossfit
>Eventually arrive at work one morning
>Complain that his shoulder hurt like christ
>Says it's probably because of his last crossfit session
>Fastforward some weeks
>Still hurt
>Guy goes to the doctor
>He's gonna be off work tomorrow and the day after because he need a surgery for his shoulder
>"Why won't u do crossfit, /fit/?"

I dunno man, you tell me.
>>
>>37830572
The source that lists to the number of 13000 gyms also lists the number of crossfitters somewhere between 2 to 4 million. Let's take the number of 2 million, the low estimate, and divide it by our estimated number of gyms. It seems there's about 153 people to every crossfit box. I didn't even know they could fit that many, to be honest.
We know why this isn't the case, of course. Plenty of people do crossfit outside of the affiliated boxes, and as long as there's one in their city they can go there, pay their 20, and get in. So long as their facilities, crossfit box or not, come with all the necessary equipment they can compete.
We therefore have 3 to 153. Definitely a minority.
>>
>>37830146
stopped reading at "fit."
>>
>>37830613
>Wrestling was rough, taekwondo wasnt
>The appeal of wrestling was that people got hurt more
Which, again, I'm considering a problem of yours.
>Its more about strategy and tricking your opponents however you can
>Its just a shitshow where the first person to get tired mentally will lose.
lol so your problem with it is having to think about stuff
>>
>>37830660
The crossfitters that made it to the regionals are all affiliated but Jonne Koski who trains at Rogue HQ. The estimate of Crossfitters around the world probably count unaffiliated members as well. You're right, I've been to many boxes and almost none of them can fit more than like 40 people (except for CF Shapesmiths)

And even with 3 out of every 153 isn't that big, I mean I can't remember the last time I've been to a normal gym and saw a stage bound physique.
>>
File: 1432242954128.jpg (47 KB, 596x628) Image search: [Google]
1432242954128.jpg
47 KB, 596x628
>>37830667
>>
>>37830696
You need strategy in every sport. Thats not a problem.
The problem is thats its very 1 sided. Whoever attacks just gets countered and loses. Its stupid. Not to mention watching 90% of matches where both athletes are defencive. Its quiet a thrill.
>>
File: butthurt.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
butthurt.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>37830643
>1 example speaks for entire humanity

I dunno man, nice logic.
>>
>>37830295
>http://games.crossfit.com/athlete/21343
max pullups: 68
>pullups
kek
>>
>>37830715
Patricians don't consort with us plebs, they've got separate gyms.
The better uni in town has a nice gym, real nice, new and plentiful equipment, dozens of squat racks that will fill to capacity but be out of use shortly enough to start, since there's so many, but there's almost no guys around with competitive lifting numbers
It's strange, mindboggling even, until you find out that there's another gym on campus run by the its powerlifting association with way nicer equipment, charging only $25/mo (on top of what you already pay for the bigger uni gym, but that's in tuiton, so it's basically free, right?), which is were all the big guys actually are.
>>
>>37830782
>1 example speaks for entire humanity
I dunno man. Why do Crossfit when I can do anything else? If you want to pay for fitness classes, might as well just go straight up for combat sports/wrestling
>>
>>37830846
This. Played sports my entire life including Football (Soccer), even dabbled in a bit of CrossFit myself, but to this day nothing has ever truly exhausted me as much as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
>>
File: cross-fit-3.jpg (32 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
cross-fit-3.jpg
32 KB, 500x333
>why don't you do crossfit?
>no pain, no gain you know
>>
>>37830373
Kipping muscle ups don't count
>>
>>37830731
git gud at attacking then lol, git gud at countering too
combatants have to attack or it counts as avoiding the match, and they're gonna get a penalty.
Olympic sports aren't necessarily supposed to be interesting. Olympic target shooting is the most boring thing possible, though I have no doubt the folks doing it are very good at what they do, if only in an olympic setting.
>>
>>37830919
It doesnt have to entertain me. I dont care if you enjoy that shitshow more power to you.
To me theyre as good as 10 year olds practicing in local daycare.
>>
>>37830964
Apparently it does, given that it's your metric of judgement.
If it seems that way, it's only because you're a layman on the matter.
>>
>>37830991
I did taekwondo for 5 years. I still have pretty good kicks its just competitively its a shitshow.
Throwing spaghetti could be an olympic strong doesnt mean its any more respectable.
>>
>>37831014
>olympic strong
Meant to say sport
>>
>>37830630
Spec ops just do 12 hours of cardio a day though.
>>
>>37831014
idk you'd have to be pretty good at throwing spaghetti to make it to the olympic level
also, I associated spaghetti with "shotput"
but hey, that's respectable, innit? Shotput? Even though it's one of thus dumb drunken scot things? I still respect it, even though I called it a "dumb drunken scot thing". Because it is.
Look man what you h8 about taekwondo is the same thing that occurs in kendo, karate, the various schools of kung fu, even arnis. It's what azn's do, it's how they've done martial arts for centuries.
What you don't like is Asia, innit?
>>
>>37831074
Muay thai is Asian yet their fights arent shitshows at a high or low level.
>>
>>37831175
Exceptions to the rule, muay thai may be an exception but the rule stands. It's all painfully boring.
>>
>>37830146

crossfit is good under the supervision of a professional who is an expert in the body like a sports medicine physician or something. Do not op for some ordinary PT. Ive done crossfit its a great workout when done right.

also crossfit is for people who are already pretty fit to begin with or they are more likely to snap their shit up
>>
>>37831074
Full contact karate disagrees. As does judo, sumo and kudo.
>>
File: Crossfit Julie Foucher.jpg (72 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
Crossfit Julie Foucher.jpg
72 KB, 537x720
>>37830146
Doesn't it cost a ton of money?
Still though, I'm tempted to do it. Where else can I meet a perfect goddess like pic-related? My gym only has cardio bunnies, and even then it's awkward talking to girls at the gym. I've heard crossfit is more social

What does /fit/ say? Is doing crossfit worth it just so I can meet a qt fit grill?
>>
>>37830146

I really wonder what this guys drug stack is.
>>
File: 1452192142784.webm (3 MB, 638x360) Image search: [Google]
1452192142784.webm
3 MB, 638x360
>>37830146
>>
>>37832371
Fucking KeK almost seems like a evil joke you haze someone with

he makes a point though >>37832144
>>
>>37832215
$120 a month.

yes and no.

most of the women are moms trying to get //fit.
>>
>>37830295
>5'8"
Lol that's why he does cross fit.
>>
>ripoff.
Crossfit gyms aka BOXES are about $180 a month

>poor instruction
Just do as many clean and jerks as you can.

>Why not just do weightlifting with a good coach

>The top-level crossfitters are not your average crossfitters. They are paid professionals, on gear. They do not validate all the idiocy of crossfit.
>>
>>37832371
Chick with the baby in the harness gets me every fucking time. How irresponsible can you be?
>>
>>37830176

It is.
>>
>>37830210
Do crossfit for a while. The problem is the vast majority of affiliates are retarded following the main WODs which are stupid.

Good affiliated with good coaches who program smartly are rare. So people go to the shitty ones, get taught how to snatch by some guy who took an 8 hour course and PRed his snatch at 185lbs and then try and do 40 of them for time because their coach told them to and either.

A.) get hurt
B.) make nothing past beginner gains from doing random movement and drinking progenex

I also hate the mentality of it. Like somehow routinely pushing yourself into unsafe situations and hurting yourself makes you "hardcore"

I'm not hardcore. I'm in law school. I don't jump out of planes and kill people. If I did maybe I'd train like a nutjob. But I'd much rather chill and have fun at the gym and get strong then do burpees until I puke and blowout my shoulder doing c & j EMOMs for 20 minutes until my form breaks down so far I get hurt
>>
>>37830146
they don't do crossfit, they just compete at the crossfit games.
>>
>>37830368
You must be fucking stupid

The fact that cross shit just steals Olympic and PL lifts doesn't mean it's a new discipline, it's just a retarded sect like way to gain as much money from the white normie crowd as possible through pretending to them that it's an important part of lifting "culture" while it's just an ammassment of stupid exercises with high risk of injury due to high reps and bad form, the fact that they steal legit lifts and add them to their overhyped gym routines is just icing on the cake.
>>
>>37834814

It kind of is a new discipline. There really isn't any sport quite like the mess its cobbled together out of everything that HQ found interesting.

That may not be a good thing, but its definitely its own thing.
>>
>>37834834
strongman

seriously some of the comps are deadlifting cars or motorcycles. I saw one where they hollowed out VW bugs and put a harness/yoke in there and they raced
>>
File: 1398362332970.jpg (83 KB, 743x1261) Image search: [Google]
1398362332970.jpg
83 KB, 743x1261
>>37834834
Yeah its bullshit

It's also not some genius move, it's just:
Bodyweight
Strongman
Oly lifts
Standard lifting
All thrown together in a pot, it's like kids who say " I wish I could have all my favourite food in one" but then you actually think about it and Pizza with Candy and Hamburgers mashed together with some coke doesn't sound really good

Crossfit is just a way to make money for the inventors and another way for stupid women and skinny fat men to pretend that they participate in the gym culture we put so much emphasis on nowadays, it's exactly what ignorant women would do when they say Gee I would lift weights but I don't want to get big like a man so I stick to the treadmill and machines so I lose my stubborn belly fat
>>
>>37834857

Strongman is actually a lot more limited than CF is in terms of the sort of events involved. Far more restrictions in terms of what they'll throw out there. Ain't no strongman event going longer than two minutes.

They probably are the closest though. In both cases you have to be kind of insane and cool with injury to consider competing. Can be fun though.
>>
>>37830146
The stereotype about people who do crossfit is true. They are douchebags and I will not partake in it.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 179x117) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 179x117
>>37830304
>5k on a bike
>long distance
>>
There is a crossfit establishment close to my house. The other day I was doing some bicycling gains and this couple (guy/girl) waddling down the sidewalk carrying kettlebells reentering crossfit.

Good for them. They looked like they worked and were sweaty but it was funny to look at. Daddy had himself a laugh :) :) :)
>>
>>37834875
belly button too large -- 7/10 sorry
>>
>>37830887
Hahaha that's a ridiculous way to get yourself into the hospital. What the fuck are these people thinking combining strength and balancing movements like this, I just don't understand the benefits of such an excercise
>>
I feel the reason so many are opposed to to XFit has mostly to do with the cost of an XFit gym Membership. It. Isn't cheap! I pay about 190$ cdn for mine. A simple drop in class will cost 25$.
>>
File: crossfit hero.jpg (146 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
crossfit hero.jpg
146 KB, 640x640
>>37835169
That's being harcore.
>>
>>37830146
hes on steroids bro crossfit doesnt even test
>>
>>37835192
>still lifting after Snap City....
>>
>>37835188
m8 i doubt 90% of people hating on crossfit has even looked up the prices or ever considered joining.
>>
>>37835169
The fear of killing yourself makes you lift weight you shouldn't be able to so you don't die.
>>
>>37835362
>the downside being, you die if you fail
I legitimately wonder how Usain Bolt would perform on the 100m if he was chased by a tiger
>>
File: brain problems.png (244 KB, 1999x1538) Image search: [Google]
brain problems.png
244 KB, 1999x1538
>>37835192
Even the gril in the background is laughing at him.
>Crossfit took his legs, gains, and chance to smash ever again and he still does it?
>>
crossfire seems like a great way for the average person to hurt themselves desu.

i think it's the wrong type of dynamic movement.
>>
>>37835169

A lot of the weirder and dumber crossfit pics are basically some crossfit competitor going "you know what, I reckon I can do that" and proceeding to do something impressive, stupid and completely unrelated to any sort of training effect.
>>
>>37830193
Yeah this. I'm an Ausfag and my army mates (they're in not me) froth over cf because the SF do it.
>>
>>37835548
Yeah, I see what you mean. The life of a daredevil is not for all of us
>>
>>37830146

They don't train like they perform in crossfit nor like you are taught in crossfit classes.

Add the fact they're on drugs
>>
>>37830613

So true. Taekwondo as a "sport" is boring as hell to watch. If you're into playing mind games and tactics it might be fun for you personally if you're good at that sort of thing (and have infinite patience).
>>
>>37830146
>1pl8 deadlift
>>
Some of the worst form and stupidity I've seen with weights has come from crossfitters. I'm sure there are good cf gyms, but a lot are lead by people without proper knowledge of form and lifts and they pass their shitty, body-damaging information down the line. Local crossfit gym has a chiropractor next door. I bet he makes bank.
>>
>>37830146

none of them got fit doing crossfit

and they're all juicers
>>
>>37830146
>I mean look at these guys, they look pretty fit?

They're on roids m8.
>>
>>37832468
Lot of boxes offer supplemental training for technique and mastery of skills. Also it's kinda like a frat, you pay to have a support network. Many people need that kind of support.
>>
>>37835192
lol, this retard, I just noticed that he is going to snap his shit up again if he keeps doing this, the only way to get the weight up for him is to use his back, he is also a crossshitter so he probably knows nothing about rounded backs and that being bad for you.

Imagine, a guy in a wheelchair taking another trip to snap city, the fucking irony
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.