[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Latlet here,what's the best exercise to help make me look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 13
Latlet here,what's the best exercise to help make me look like a flying squirrel?
>>
Testosterone Cypionate x250 2.W

Pullups
Snatch Grip DLs
Rows
>>
>>37826749

pullups and rows
>>
>>37826749
Pull-ups
Case closed
>>
>>37826836
I'm told weak to do pullup, but I can currently do about 3 chin ups, working on grease the groove at home.

Is the assisted machine good for the time being
>>
>>37826883
Too weak*
>>
>>37826883
Pullups + chinups, I seriously suggest you to learn about form and which areas they hit as it's not just about pulling yourself up and down, but making the muscles work, + they give different results.

Forget about the assisted machine, you may not be able to do many and it'll be harder, but you'll progress way faster.
>>
>>37826949
>Forget about the assisted machine
One of the single worst pieces of advice I routinely see spewed on /fit/.

Increasing strength requires progressive overload. For someone too weak to do pull-ups, assisted pull-up machines are a great way to achieve progressive overload, leading eventually to the development of adequate strength to perform bodyweight pull-ups. It worked for me and it would work for you.

The lats aren't magic or special. They respond to stress and time under tension just like any other muscle.
>>
>>37827196
Your progressive overload will be more reps and sets, till you'll need extra weight.

What are you, a cupcake?
>>
>>37827238
he's talking about people that cant do pullups at all dumbass
>>
>>37827196
wouldnt a better option be to do negatives?
>>
>>37827269
negatives look retarded
>>
How to progress when I can only do one chin up?
>>
>>37826883
Are you seriously telling me you're too weak to do a single pullup

What the fuck do you want from us? Exercise instead of shitposting on a Vietnamese claymation forum.
>>
>>37827381
nigga r u 4 real? and assisted pullups dont?
>>
>>37827381
no they don't you faggot
assist pullupmachine is fucking useless, stop giving shit advice
superset sets of band assisted pullups/chinups (concentric) with negative reps (eccentric)
>>
>>37827440
>Exercise
That is L I T E R A L L Y what OP is asking
what exercises to do to strengthen lats until they are strong enough to start doing pullups
>>
ASSISTED MACHINE

Why do you dumbfucks think it's bad? It's literally the exact movement you'll be doing, but with 50lbs or whatever reduced.

How is that bad?
>>
>>37827474
This is literally what I'm asking desu senpai
>>
>>37826749
It's called taking drugs, dumb fuck.
>>
File: dip_chin_assist_1987_zoom.jpg (16 KB, 295x500) Image search: [Google]
dip_chin_assist_1987_zoom.jpg
16 KB, 295x500
>>37826883
dont let any cunts try to make you feel bad for using it either
>>
>>37827527
I never said I wanted to look like that, I just want big lats you thicket
>>
File: 1329860393623.png (10 KB, 445x431) Image search: [Google]
1329860393623.png
10 KB, 445x431
>>37827486
>t's literally the exact movement you'll be doing,

It actually isn't at all.
>>
>>37827535
>>37827486
Is the machine worth using? I've been told by loads of people that it's shit

Also if I do use it should I keep doing grease the groove at home , I currently do 1 chin every time I go past
>>
>>37826883
Do 5 sets of pullups and every day add a rep to each set so say you start on Monday it will look like this
5x3
Tuesday
1x4
4x3
Wednesday
2x4
3x3
Thursday
3x4
2x3
Friday
4x4
1x3
Saturday
5x4 or Max# of pullups
Sunday
Rest
Rinse wash repeat until you start banging out 5x10 than start adding weight and start over with the same rep and set scheme above but with weight
>>
>>37827586
This worked for me and I was fat as fuck now I'm doing a pl8 for 5x8 but still fat as fuck
>>
>>37826749
OP, why do you want to be a carbon copy of someone else? Why not JUST FUCKING LIFT and become a better version of your unique self instead?
>>
>>37827586
Does it matter if I do all the sets spread out on the day instead of all together? I can't do many chin ups as it is and doing them together will be impossible as I am now
>>
>>37826883
Start doing real pullups and never use that machine ever again
>>
>>37827559
>It actually isn't at all.

Explain how the fuck an assisted pullup with 50lbs reduced is a different movement than doing a pullup with your bodyweight?

What the actual fuck...

>>37827676
>Start doing real pullups and never use that machine ever again

WHY? Can anyone give an explanation for this
>>
>>37827674
Start at 5x1 then. I suppose you could do that but it would be better if you did them in the same time frame you know what I mean. But in all honesty I'd start at 5x1. Everybody starts somewhere despite what people on this board tell you.
>>
>>37827538
Yes, it's called taking fucking drugs you absolute dumb fuck. Lats don't get big naturally.
>>
>>37826749
Narrow grip weighted chin up
Yate's row, and ONLY Yate's
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjwZ1fxtCQ

These are the two recommendations given by dorian himself.

And he had the GOAT lats
>>
>>37827776
>things DYELs say
>>
>>37827743
>Explain how the fuck an assisted pullup with 50lbs reduced is a different movement than doing a pullup with your bodyweight?
>What the actual fuck...

When you can do a pull-up, try them both and you will see what I mean.

Pull-ups require you to brace your entire body to perform properly and effectively. The assist machine stops you from assuming the same natural position you would during real pull-ups and turns it into an arm and lat only exercise, which doesn't transfer well to pull-ups.

Negative pull-ups are a far better method for getting the first pull-up.
>>
>>37827743
Not the guy that your asking but I'll try my best to answer this. I think for the most part assisted pullup machine take out a major part of your core and also makes your body travel in an unnatural way. It's like the smith machine for pullups
>>
>>37827799
Show me one single guy that is confirmed natty with big lats.

Delts, lats, and traps don't get big naturally. It's how to spot /fraud/ 101.
>>
>>37827809
>>37827816
Ok i get the core part, but is it really that important?

I mean sure it won't be exactly the same as a real pullup but it's close enough where you can just adapt, isn't it?

Negatives seem like a fucking meme for some reason, they just seem so retarded and slow. Does it really work that well?

al;so what about this reddit bs:

>So, where should you start your pull-up training? Numbers are often arbitrary but we need standards to work by. My proposal is to work up to the following:
1 minute deadhang
3 x 8 (or 5 x 5) negative pull-ups
3 x 8 inverted rows
Some people will get their first pull-up before reaching those standards and some will need some additional work after it, but for most people that should be a solid basis that leads to their first pull-up.
Negatives are often too hard for the new trainee and if that is your case I would suggest working on hanging and rows while testing once a week to see if you are able to start working on negatives.
>>
>>37827816
Yeah I used that machine once. Never again. It felt weird as fuck
>>
Also my routine calls for 5x5 chinups

If I can only do one because I've done negatives like you autists are suggesting, where am i suppose to pull the other 24 reps out of? Wouldn't the assisted machine better for this then?
>>
>>37827847

It is a big deal yeah. The assist machine will help build lat and some arm strength, which helps with pull-ups, but it doesn't train the movement pattern. The torso has a slight lean back during pull-ups whereas it tends to be vertical during assisted pull-ups.

Negatives have your body in the exact same state of muscle activation as a pull-up so your body adapts better to it.

I made the mistake of starting with assisted pull-ups and got nowhere fast. I got my first pull-up within less than 2 weeks of starting negative training (i was a 200+lb fatty at the time)
>>
>>37827912
>I got my first pull-up within less than 2 weeks of starting negative training (i was a 200+lb fatty at the time)

Damn. I'm 210lbs right now and I can't even do a couple chinups, maybe i can squeeze out 2-3 if i absolutely have to.

Can't even deadhang for 15 secs... negatives are that good huh?

But as i said, my routine calls for 5x5 chinups, how could i possibly do that if i did negatives to barely 5 at most
>>
What about dips? Assisted machine shit for them as well?
>>
>>37827840
Kinobody :^)
>>
>>37827937
Do 5 sets of 5 negs, you dingus.

>>37827951
Actually it isnt bad for dips.

If you cant do 10 bodyweight dips, you could probably still find push ups useful.
>>
>>37828009
>Do 5 sets of 5 negs, you dingus.

Yes but I mean once I learn to do them bodyweight.

>Actually it isnt bad for dips.

What makes it different for dips?
>>
>>37828021
You slowly start implimenting bw chins (say like 2x2-5 then 3x5 neg) and when you hit 5x5 you start adding weight.

I recommend adding in increments of 2.5lb instead of 5. It is easy to do as it does not require microplates and allows you to progress longer without stalling

You should give greyskull a read, if you havent already, and are just starting out,
https://a.pomf.cat/uyuwms.pdf

I wish i had read it when i first started liftan....
>>
>>37828117
I am doing this routine and he says otherwise:

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chins 15-20 total reps, add weight or use assisted.
Rows 3x5 SUPER STRICT.
Optional: Cable rows, 3x8 bicep work, 3x8 rear delt flyes, do this at your own discretion. If you don't feel like it, don't worry

B
Front squat 3x5
MP 3x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Optional: 15-20 reps of dips, 3x8 tricep work
>>
>>37826749
I got a pull-up bar for my home, how often can I do pullups at home without cucking my gym gains?

Can I do them everyday, even on rest days?
>>
>>37827564
I'm using it right now. I can't do a single pullup (actually using my lats). It's great for learning to use your lats and pull up with correct form. If you try to do it bodyweight when you can't you'll just hurt yourself or make no progress.
>>
>>37828148
Aside from the squat frequency and progression layout, that is basically gslp.

Read the book to understand his reasoning, and why they are solid improvements for both hypertrophy and strength.

If you are progressing 2x a week, how long can you possibly hope to progress before you stall?
Are you going to add fucking 370lb to your squat in 6 months?
>>
>>37828362
By the way, that infographic you see is just one of MANY possible layouts.

You can train 4x a week and be doing greyskull. You can train 2x a week and be doing greyskull.

There are lots of different variations you can do to your routine, while still following the greyskull program.
>>
>>37828176
this
>>
>>37828362
>If you are progressing 2x a week, how long can you possibly hope to progress before you stall?

I dunno, I'm cutting right now and just going with how much I feel i can lift while pushing myself
>>
>>37828176
If you stay like 3-4 reps shy of failure, you can progress on "total reps per day" even on rest days (i highly recommend you read grease the groove, if this is something you are interested in. Cannot emphasize enoug how much and directly that knowledge will help you). If this is the case, probably do it just about every day (take a rest day when you feel your body needs more recovery) and remove any vertical pulls from your strength training.

For some reason horizontal pulls never seemed to interfere with my pull up progression.

I found it useful to take a break from endurance training, and focus on strength training (i.e. Weighted chins) for a week or two (3-6 training sessions) then go back to greasing the groove.
>>
>>37828491
Either way, check out the book, it is like a 20 minute read, if that. And i think it will give you a good perspective on linear progression.
>>
>>37828491
Also you might find this interesting
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ud7CnPJcK6U
>>
>>37826883
Keep working on these chinups and the pullups will follow in no time, they did for me.

>>37827381
> worried about looking retarded
> making it
pick one
>>
>>37827847
>Ok i get the core part, but is it really that important?
No, fuck these autists.
>>37826749
Doing assisted pull ups or chinups and then some sets of some seconds of deadhangs are as close as it gets to the real exercise.
Lat pulldown works also fine, and I would say it's actually harder than actual pullups.
If you have access to neither machine, buy a long elastic resistance band and put it between your bent knee and the bar.
>>
>>37828666
>Lat pulldown works also fine, and I would say it's actually harder than actual pullups.

Can't confirm.

I lat pulldown 120lbs for 3x8 and I can't even do 3 clean and easy chinups.
>>
>>37828666
Satanic trips...

Post filled with lies to make you get nogainz...
Coincidence?
>>
>>37827847
That's why I said>>37827766 this. It's better to get used to the movement itself on its own even if you can't do one just push yourself to do a bit more then you did before. Trust me I was a fat fuck who couldn't even do one. It wasnt until I started doing that then I started seeing numbers in pullups and gains in my back. And negative pullups serve more of a purpose then the assist machine. Negative pullups and pullups with a band will get you closer to banging out pullups. Look at it as doing a clean from blocks your basically getting yourself stronger in the lockout position.
>>
>>37827743
...It's the exact same movement, with or without the machine. Pull up is a pull up. You're getting trolled
>>
>>37828963
No its not your legs stay stationary in the movement of an assisted pullup on the machine and take out your core completely creating a straight path that's why I said it's like a smith machine for pullups. Now if your talking an assisted bandpull up that's different because that is more of an actual simulation of the pullup and works all the muscles just with reduced weight.
>>
>>37829067
Also to add on this the band pull up creates a natural path for your shoulders which help with their mobility
>>
>>37828963
Who the fuck is this faggy trip... 100% srs btw
>>
>>37829113
It is a namefag, not a trip.

And you should not pay attention or care, this feeds their ego, and they will continue namefagging for all those delicious (You)s
>>
>>37828963
>A roiding moonfaced dyel looking clit dick Vinnie voice cunt doesn't know how to exercise properly
Color me surprised
>>
>>37829067
>>37829067
Your making this too technical. As if comparing the minor differences between the two is even notable. The effect on your core, could you even refer to that as a secondary muscle? No, the impact would even be lesser then the impact you get on your core while doing cable triceps, which sometimes does leave a minor burn the next day. When you are doing pull-ups stationary. Your legs are not dangling around, they are in a stabilized and controlled position. When on weight assisted pull-up. The movement is controlled sure, but you are holding the same hand positions and using the same muscles to obtain a result. The only true difference is that you are able to take away the difficulty and preform less weight on an assisted, which often helps on longer drawn out sets of pull-ups. Especially how your strength quickly diminishes after the first few sets. Tell me, who here has ever really felt a core burn from a pull-up? If that is what you are looking for, a core impact, go hit two sit ups after a set of weight assisted pull-ups and you will get far more benefit then you would have on your core from the stationary pull-ups.
>>
>>37829254
B T F O
T
F
O
>>
>>37828682
Well my 5rm at chinups is 90+20kg (no kip) and the most I've done on the lat pulldown (same grip) is 100kg x3
>>37828813
Fuck off, there are plenty of gains to be made with assisted pullups until you can do real ones properly
If there is an excercise I got zero back gains on, it's rows.
>>
File: 1461350311697.gif (681 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1461350311697.gif
681 KB, 480x270
>>37829254
>mfw thinking about you hurting
>>
>>37829312
Thanks lad. Gained some new confidence. I might stop the lat pulldowns and just hit the assisted chins with full force.

How the hell do I actually use my lats to do it though? Do I just squeeze my shit on the chins? On lat pulldowns I mostly just pull with my elbows and pull it down with my body at like 110 deg angle, i guess that's it, right?
>>
>>37829161
If I didn't know how to exercise properly I wouldn't be bringing home a medal for winning top 5 in comp.
>>
>>37829356
Learn me to do pullups senpai

I will begin with the meme assisted machine immediately, how do I get maximum benefit from it?
>>
File: pinky_pull_ups_3032987a[1].png (197 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
pinky_pull_ups_3032987a[1].png
197 KB, 620x387
>Maibam Itomba Meitei
>does pull ups like mofo
>looks dyel
you just need to roid, tbqh
>>
>>37829352
The lat pulldown part ofy post was meant to be interpreted as "if I can do 80kg for 5 reps at the lat pulldown at 80kg bodyweight, it's time to move to real chinups since they are definitely manageable now"
Am I making any sense here?
Anyway
>How the hell do I actually use my lats to do it though?
If your humerus is moving towards your ribcage, you are using your lats. No other way around it. Don't worry about "feeling it" there if that's what you meant.
>>
>>37829387
Nothing wrong with the machine really, I don't understand why people are making a big stink out of it. If you can't rep out the bar only pull ups then you would obviously start with the reduced weight machine. Also the benefit of machine is that you can really controlled the speed, try going down slowly, chest up, go down until your arms are fully hanging then pull up, and make sure that your elbows are not pointed forward, they should be pointed to the side, it helps get that good clench to the back.
>>
>>37829356
Cute participation trophy fampai :^)
>>
>>37829508
>Don't worry about "feeling it" there if that's what you meant.

Yeah I don't feel shit .In fact I never get doms or feel it any of my muscles.

Like on lat pulldowns I just end up getting exhausted and unable to do any more reps without pulling with my entire body, so I stop. Never feeling it my lats. Same with squats, I squat below parallel then i come back but my quads are never sore, nothing is sore. I don't get it.
>>
>>37829521
Yeah and I can see how adding 2.5lb increments would be a lot easier to do than increasing with negatives
>>
>>37829549
Literally add more reps or sets, dingus.
>>
File: chair+assisted+pull+ups[1].jpg (171 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
chair+assisted+pull+ups[1].jpg
171 KB, 1600x1066
>>37829531
try standing on a chair and starting from finished position trying to do it in the slowest way possible
>>
>>37829587
Don't you see how slowly lowering yourself down(and all the variance that can have, speed, control etc) and adding more reps/sets is much less "accurate" then just tossing on 2.5lb?
>>
>>37827626
My dik
>>
>>37827626
That isn't you.
Also where are those lats
>>
>>37827799
It's true. My gymnast friend can do 90lb for 5 reps and he has big lats but not bigger than a person that did a cycle
>>
>>37829793
>Being this retarded
I merely posted a pic of a bitch I never said pic related was me I'm also a male. Don't know any females that do 5x8 pullups with a pl8
>>
>>37829997
Oh okay. How much do you weigh?
The less I weigh the easier it gets for me.
Can currently do 3x5 60lbs im 167lbs at 5'10
Also do people mire when you do weighted chins?
>>
>>37829254
Yeah sorry man but you just went full retard by adding in another excercise because I can refute that by saying well performing situps after unassisted pullups is far better for your core then doing assisted pullups followed by sets of situps. The point still remains if you want to get better at pullups do pullups in this>>37827586 scheme. Assisted pullups will only make you better at assisted pullups.
>>
>>37830046
I weigh 215 at 5'10 but I'm sitting around 15-17% bf. Tbh I don't lift at a commercial gym so people only mire when somebody pulls benches or squats big numbers
>>
>>37827269
I'm told negatives are one way to slowly build strength. I used an assisted pull up machine to build up my strength and went from not being about to do even 1 pull up as a skelly to knocking out 10-12 with good form, both wide grip and normal. So, when I read people on /fit/ going autistic over the effectiveness of assisted pull up machines, I can only laugh.

>>37827473
>band assisted pull ups are 100% effective
>lever assisted pull ups are 100% ineffective and will kill your grandmother if you do them

Where'd you get your degree in broscience? You sound like a college boy. Kappa Gagma Fagma, I presume.
>>
>>37827809
>The assist machine stops you from assuming the same natural position you would during real pull-ups and turns it into an arm and lat only exercise, which doesn't transfer well to pull-ups.
>"compound" only exercise
>pull ups aren't an "arm and lat exercise"

Holy shit, this is some dank bait.

Look, if you're too weak to do even one pull up, then strengthening your lats will help. Pull ups strengthen your lats. HOW CAN WE SOLVE THE PARADOX? Negatives? Sure. Lat pulldown? Definitely. Assisted pull ups? Yes, obviously, yes.
>>
File: back.jpg (228 KB, 1200x617) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
228 KB, 1200x617
>>37826883
When I started lifting long ago, I couldn't do a single proper pullup and could barely do a couple of chinups. I tried assisted pullups but honestly I didn't feel like that helped at all.

I stuck with good form barbell rows as I could start with practically no weight and progressively add more. I did nothing but rows for months, adding weight whenever I can, trying to max sets of 5x5.

Then I went back and tried doing pullups, and suddenly I could knock out sets of 5 to my amazement, and with some work I was doing sets of 10. It was a pretty great feeling to be doing full sets of wide-grip pullups like a big boy.

By this point I was doing heavier deadlifts, which improved the overall strength in my back, I was doing more pullups, heavier rows, and got to the point where I started added weight to my pullups.

The point is, just start some place where you can progressively strengthen your back and over time you'll find pullups, and all back exercises will become much easier.

pic related: my back now, after starting as a 140lbs skelly who could barely do 2 chinups
>>
>>37827840
>Traps can't grow

That's a new one
>>
>>37827414
try doing 2
>>
If you can't do one pull up, how about Australian pull ups on like a desk?
>>
>>37832505
And when I can't do that?
>>
File: 139483627938[1].png (563 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
139483627938[1].png
563 KB, 569x802
>>37832012
Bane?
>>
Why are you all so retarded

If op is too weak to do pullups

Let him do deadlifts, powercleans, rows and lat pulldowns

In a few weeks he'll be able to do the fucking pullups

At this level of strength the carryover between pulling exercises will be enough to strengthen his lats
>>
>>37832332
HRT is a bitch
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.