[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im a fat and want to go to the gym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
Hi /fit/.

I'm 6 foot 6 and 330 pounds, and really want to start making a concerted effort on my health. I've started eating better and I have a gym membership done. The thing is, I'm scared about going. I'm worried i'll walk in and all the attractive skinny people will immediately look at me and laugh to themselves.
Any tips for getting over this, overcoming the fear of being in public 15 years of being fat has brought.
>>
>>37820930
Just remember that no one's looking at you. Nobody cares. They're all focused on their own routine.
>>
>>37820930
>>37820937
only the new guys care about what other people are doing.
>>
Just do it. People are people.
Do it every day.

It will change and eventually they will be staring for a different reason.

Just do it
>>
>>37820930
Man up, they will undoubtedly make an opinion about you, you cannot change that. Now if you let other people mental image of you discourage you from even trying then you don't deserve to make it in the first place.
>>
>>37820937
Adding on: people might stare if you do something stupid. Educate yourself and you can avoid that.
>>
>>37820930
so you're 6'6 and wider you could rape anyone
>>
File: 1467115828291.jpg (36 KB, 640x623) Image search: [Google]
1467115828291.jpg
36 KB, 640x623
You have every right to be in that gym as they do i know what youve been through but if you just say fuck it and walk in do what you gotta do and leave it'll feel amazing. Best decision i made was going to the gym, you can do it man
>>
Thanks guys, the support actually means a lot to me, as stupid as that sounds coming from a stranger on the internet.
>>
The big guys working out at the gym to lose a hundred plus pounds are usually given thumbs up and shit and people notice them...but in a positive way.

There's a guy who had to be like 450 and I swear he has dropped a hundred pounds in the last year. Literally every time I go to the gym he is there riding the recumbent bike.

He's gonna make it /fit/bros
>>
>>37820930
Nobody gives a shit about you. There's probably people even thinking "good for him". Re-rack weights, don't ego-lift and don't do a program that's 90% arms and you'll be fine.
>>
>>37820930
just hop on the cable weight machines but only move around in a clockwise direction otherwise people will know how new you are
>>
Just go in, I have never left the gym feeling worse than I did walking in. It is ALWAYS an improvement, I still drag my feet getting to the gym but now that I'm there I always meet my goals and add on a few more exercises that I feel need to be done. Best advice I can give you is to do a lot of cardio if you want to lose weight, an hour a day should be your minimum. That could mean just walking for an hour, try to jog a bit as well. Don't fuck around with the bicycles or elliptical, the stairmaster and treadmill are where its at.
>>
>>37821654
wat he is 330lb he needs the bike till 250max, this fucking gorge lord will not be able to stand the next day after walking for 20 minutes
>>
File: sunbro.jpg (12 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
sunbro.jpg
12 KB, 300x168
>>37820930
Every fatty who puts in the effort to lose weight is a cool fatty in my book, OP.
Remember one thing though- there will be times when you'll want to quit, when you just can't take it anymore and be tempted to go back to your binge eating and couch potato lifestyle.
And when these moments come, wherever you are and whatever you do, remember that there's this little anon from /fit/ who'll quietly cheer you on from the sidelines. Whenever you think you can't make the next rep or run your last mile, this little anon will say: "C'mon fatty, I know you can do it, you got this!". Whenever you get tempted by a piece of candy or greasy fast food, this little anon will say to you:"Fuck this garbage, man! Both you and I know that this won't help you on your journey, put it away or throw it in the trash!" And when you eventually succumb to your temptations, the little anon will not berate you, but simply say:"It's okay bro, everyone has their moments of weakness. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going!".
Whoever you are or wherever you are OP, remember the little anon from /fit/, for he'll probably never meet you in person, but he wants you to succeed, to become the best physical version of yourself you'll ever be. Don't let him down, he believes in you!
>>
Fat people at the gym is andre inspiration for everyone. Seriously nothing motivates me more than people making an honest effort to improve themselves even though they might be uncomfortable at the gym.
>>
>>37820930
Yh you fat shit
read this
>>37821726
>>
File: manlyman.png (74 KB, 224x351) Image search: [Google]
manlyman.png
74 KB, 224x351
>>37821726
I won't let you down, little anon
>>
>>37820937
Nah, I usually look at what everyone is doing between sets, especially those who do retarded shit or grunt like bears when struggling to deadlift 20 lbs.
I don't say anything because I'm not a cunt, but I remember everything. When someone says hello to me, I recognize them as "that guy who did pullups with the worst form ever" or "that guy who was wearing his lifting belt backwards", etc.
>>
I always get really fucking motivated whenever i see fat people in the gym. Makes me happy that they're trying to improve.
>>
Avoid Milo and you should be fine. Also make sure to give it your best every time you step in or you are cheating yourself.
>>
>>37820930
It's really just getting used to it. I was nervous as fuck when I started going to the gym and had no idea what I'm doing.
One time I even went there and just left 2 minutes after stepping in after I saw how crowded it was. Now, I don't give a fuck.

Just start and you'll get used to it and it will become normal.

And seriously: No one is judging you. Most people in the gym are focused on themselves.
>>
>>37820930
Just fucking suck it up. Of course there will be some faggots that look at you and laugh. Just don't worry about them.
>>
>>37820930
Fearing the public has nothing to do with being fat and everything with your own psyche
Exfat 300+

I now outlift the people who used to point and laugh when I was walking on the treadmill 4 years ago when I started and they actively avoid eye contact nowadays, I literally tested this by invading one's personal space and staring at him for 5 seconds, eyes darting everywhere but not to me

Fucked off after those 5 seconds to continue my workout.

They no longer point and laugh at fat people
>>
>>37821726
Gotta screencap this for future motivation threads.
>>
>>37820930
you need to realize and memorize this sentence to the center of your heart:

DO YOU WANT TO MAKE WHAT YOU WANT DEPENDENT ON OTHER PEOPLES OPINION?
>>
>>37820930
>Im a fat
>>
>>37820930

Just don't forget to tip the receptionist.
>>
>>37820930

The gym is the one place fat bastards shouldn't be laughed at, they're exactly where they need to be. Just lift and do cardio regularly, stick to your routine and try not to eat as much shit as you have been.
Also remember that if you stick it out and work hard a 6'6 frame with decent gains on it will look good.
>>
>>37821726
Screencapped it.
>>
It's all in your head.
Unless people come up to you and laugh or tel you're fat ignore when they're watching.
When I watch fat people I just think 'good to see him always train.'
>>
>>37823637

Let's be real, there are assholes at some gyms that will laugh at fat people. Thing is, you can run into those people anywhere. No reason to stop going to the gym because of it unless you're going to become a total shut-in.
>>
Who cares what they think about your current form, you're going to leave that behind anyway. They won't laugh anymore when you're shredded, so go for it.
>>
i usually assume fat people in my gym are just powerlifters desu
>>
>>37820930
I don't think any manlets at the gym will be brave enough to laugh at a 6'6" 330lbs mountain giant, kek
>>
>>37820930
>I'm worried i'll walk in and all the attractive skinny people will immediately look at me and laugh to themselves.
In my experience the opposite of that is actually true, people are usualy very helpful and will take time out of their routine to help fatties out, if peole are being assholes your at a bad gym
>>
>>37823529
this!!! op, this is the biggest faux pas you can do at the gym
>>
>>37820930
3 reasons why people stare at other people in the gym

1. They are attracted to them
2. They are doing a heavy lift
3. They are doing something weird/dangerous
>>
>>37820930
>The thing is, I'm scared about going. I'm worried i'll walk in and all the attractive skinny people will immediately look at me and laugh to themselves.

They probably will. Fuck 'em, they don't matter. You're here to do your thing, and to hell with anybody that doesn't like it.
>>
File: 20160706_114916.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160706_114916.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>37821726

Congrats fåm, you live on the side of my work monitor now.
>>
>>37820930
I just got back from the gym after my first attempt at deadlifts and I can tell you that they'll ignore you at worst.

There was a guy there who even went out of his way to stop his routine and show me proper form so I wouldn't be taking a one-way trip to snap city.

Disclaimer: I'm DYEL but not fatty.
>>
https://www.google.com/search?q=concerted+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
File: hope-for-humanity_466x466.jpg (46 KB, 466x466) Image search: [Google]
hope-for-humanity_466x466.jpg
46 KB, 466x466
>>37820930
I used to think just like you when I was 130kg. One day I went to the gym and realised no one give a flying fuck about me, because fat people trying to improve are always better than fat people celebrating their failure on McDonalds or whatever. I lost several years struggling with social anxiety to go to the gym, but at least I won, thanks to /fit/.

Now I'm 80kg and happier than I ever was. My only regret was not going sooner.
>>
>>37820930
You could always sit on them
>>
Why do you honestly care what anybody thinks?
The fact that you've been walking around as a human blob for God knows how many years tells me you basically don't give a fuck, so why start caring abou what people think now?
>>
No one gives a shit, sure they might look for a moment but most of us are so self absorbed at the gym it's a fleeting thought at best, I'll be checking out that girls ass with my peripherals not your man boobs trust me, I've never saw a fat guy at the gym and just hated on him...
>>
>>37823470
You must be proud
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.