[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cardio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_nx91xfYeed1ubm73lo1_500.jpg (56 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx91xfYeed1ubm73lo1_500.jpg
56 KB, 500x378
How often do you do cardio?

Pic related is my feeling after cardio
>>
Is running for 30-40 min such a problem for you fucks?
>>
>>37810255
I literally never do cardio, but I ride my bike often. Running is for fags unless you're doing marathons or some shit like that. Stick to strength training, eat well, go outside and run around sometime for fun. You'll be fine. We're all gonn make it.
>>
File: Swoleesi.jpg (59 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Swoleesi.jpg
59 KB, 640x640
20 min. everyday
>>
>>37810255
30 minutes after workout.
>>
>>37810258
>>37810262
I'm trying to work 20-30 mins of high intensity steady state cardio in my day lads but it's hard af
>>
>>37810255
Every day. Start small and work your way up, no need to over work yourself with cardio alone. After you start getting runner's high you won't mind it nearly as much. Good music helps as well.
>>
>>37810255
I run about 30km a week

I just bought a bike though to try that
>>
>>37810270
does runners high apply to all cardio? I hate running personally, I'm just not built for it
>>
>>37810255
20 mins on statonary bike after workout, 5k on rest days.
>>
>>37810282
>does runners high apply to all cardio?

Pretty much, it's just called runner's high. It typically kicks in after the first 15-20 minutes. After that I can sometimes go for an hour+. The first 20 minutes suck ass, though.
>>
>>37810323
Man I've been trying to conquer the stair climber but shit's hard.

I'm considering just going at it for 30 minutes no matter what even if i feel i'm going to pass out until i literally fall off it.

And eachtime i'll increase the "level" by one
>>
>>37810269
>high intensity
>steady state
That's your fucking problem.
>>
I really want to get back into running, but I'm still pretty thin, will running daily make it harder to gain muscle from lifting? I really miss it regardless, it requires so much more willpower than weightlifting, and my memory has been worse since I stopped
>>
i run up to 6 days a week 20-30 miles

>>37810388
eat more
>>
>>37810361
cpr is not fun i promise you
>>
>>37810401
I was wondering if it really comes down to calories. But I have seen some studies that suggest the metabolism of a runner is a lot different than that of a weightlifter
>>
>>37810425
no magic here. they have a higher metabolism because they burn more calories on a daily basis. on non training days they have a lower metabolism because they have less muscle mass
>>
>>37810361
Like I said, don't overdo it. With a slow progression, you'll be able to build your stamina up and eventually tackle 30 minutes on the stair climber no problem. Start with a short, but reasonable time and add 5 minutes to it every other week. In half a year you'll have great stamina and doing basic cardio will be a breeze.
>>
>>37810454
How often should i do it mister?
>>
>>37810471
At least 4 days a week.
>>
I went running yesterday. I have terrible stamina. Is couch to 5k worth doing? It seems like really slow progression and only running 3 times a week seems insufficient. Could I do each step of the program a day and accelerate it?
>>
>>37811841
Running more than 3 days a week as a beginner will btfo your knees and ankles
Once you complete ct5k you could add a fourth if you wanted
>>
>>37810255
>Pic related is my feeling after cardio
Let me guess: Your idea of 'cardio' is just doing HIIT, probably without any sort of actual warmup running first?
>>
Cardio takes so much more effort and willpower than lifting.
>>
>>37811915
>Cardio takes so much more effort and willpower than lifting.
Yes, it does. And that's why you'll always be WEAK if you don't do it.
>>
Ive been biking 4-6 times a week which adds up to 70 or more miles a week. Its anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours per bike ride
>>
>>37811841
Just finished couch to 5k. defo worth it
>>
>>37810255
Crew rower here, 4km run & 12km row every morning,
Weight training in the evening
>>
>>37811841
I think it's a great program. I didn't stick to it after the first week, because I had no stop watch and had to reach into my pocket for my phone when I felt like I'd hit time.

If you're not used to running, definitely stick to running every other day. At least for the first few weeks. Your legs will thank you later. I'd cut each 3 day week into 2 day "weeks" if you feel like it's too slow.

Once you've built up strength you can definitely run every day. I've heard for stamina HIIT is very useful for building stamina, and a good idea would be to alternate long runs with HIIT sessions.
>>
File: welcome home.jpg (352 KB, 786x576) Image search: [Google]
welcome home.jpg
352 KB, 786x576
>>37810255
I run for half an hour at 10km/h at an elevation of 2,5% on 4 days a week.

12km/h if i feel especially dangerous :^)

I also do 5min warm up and cool down before and after lifting.
>>
>>37812163
>HIIT sessions

Is that just a minute of sprinting and a minute of walking repeated for ten minutes?
>>
>>37812337
More or less, yes, but there are variations.

I'm a cyclist on a road racing team. What you all call 'HIIT' we call 'Lactate Tolerance Reps', and they're literally the hardest type of training you can do, right up there with full-on race-level sprint reps. The problem is that almost without exception, you guys are doing these without the proper long thorough warmup you need to get your muscles and cardio-vascular system ready for them, and you're sure as fuck not doing all the months of prerequisite work necessary to do them without running a big risk of injuring the fuck out of yourselves. So it's no wonder to me when I see guys on /fit/ talking about how they're dizzy and enervated for hours and hours after they're done beating themselves to death with HIIT: they're straining their hearts to the point where they might actually be doing more harm than good.
>>
>>37812337
Pretty much. Give yourself a little more rest time though, at least to start. Like a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of sprinting to walking.

There's plenty of example workouts around. Just search "HIIT running" and find something you like.
>>
>>37812429
>>37812448

That's what I did yesterday. I ran as hard as I could for two minutes, then walked for another two, for a total of thirty minutes. That explains a lot. How slow am I supposed to run?
>>
>>37812491
Have you tried just running?

Go find the C25K program and do that. If you can do that already then go looking for other running programs. Also get a heart rate monitor and look up testing you do to determine heartrate training zones so you can target your training and not blow yourself up. Just doing everything as hard as you can all the time isn't good for you and will result in an actual decrease in performance because you don't have the aerobic base to really support it.
>>
>>37810261
riding a bike is cardio, nigger
>>
>>37812491
Slow jog or walk is fine for HIIT. For long runs, just jog, you'll eventually drop into a natural rhythm. Alternating these workouts will help avoid injury while still improving your running ability consistently.
>>
>>37812742
>>37812491
Sorry, meant it say
>Slow jog or walk is fine for resting in between sprints for HIIT

When you're sprinting, accelerate from your resting pace and go all out.
>>
Did 13 minutes today, was going for 20 but it's sunny out and I'm way less fit cardio-wise than I used to be. Used to be able to do 12 miles easy back in my cardio bunny days.

Is a 20 minute jog 3x a week good enough for health purposes? I also do strength training 3x a week. I don't want to become a runner (as in have it as my primary training) and I don't want weight loss.
>>
>>37812798
I think 25-30 minutes of raised heartrate 3 times/week is the recommended amount.
>>
>>37812990
150 min per week
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.