[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
depression and exercise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3
What's your take on it depressedfags? Also keep in mind I'm talking about the mental illness depression not "depression" because you didn't get the job, lost your gf etc.

Personally I feel it's a double edged sword. It certainly helps me but soon enough I find it becoming an addiction more than a healthy habit. I start going to the gym to get that endorphin rush when I'm way too fatigued to be going. But if I have a rest day I feel myself slipping down into a shut in state where it's easier just to stay in my room on the computer all day.
>>
>>37806705
it's an emotionally unhealthy addiction but I'm OK with it
>>
>>37806705
good for your body, good for your brain.

better body comp = more balanced hormones and neurotransmitter production. get your ass to the gym
>>
For me, rest day equals: yoga day or meditation day, flexibility exercises, etc.
>>
>>37806705
Just accept it as an addiction but one of the healthiest addictions you can have.
>>
>>37806705
I get you. During my depression, the routine of going to gym was the only reason I got out of bed sometimes and went to my classes. I guess it's not 'mentally healthy' to rely on one thing so much, but it's better than being a broken mess.
And yeah, I know what you mean by rest days. Any days off I took, I wished or felt like dying/not existing - had nothing to pick me up or make the day better,
>>
It sucks I've been depressed since I was around 12. Officially diagnosed with major depression and social anxiety when I was 18. I'm 21 now . I've made a lot of progress since my teens but my depression and anxiety are still there. I don't think they'll ever go away desu. I try distract myself as much as possible to not think of my problems.
Working out only helps my depression while I'm working out. It doesn't really improve my moods overall though.
>>
Sarah Tonin' regulation is totally worth it.
>>
>>37806705
Depression is the result of dysfunctional mitochondria in the brain. This may be the result of poor macronutrient metabolic flexibility. I.e. your body is prone to burning carbs instead of carbs and fat. Try a ketogenic diet for a while and some slow steady state cardio. 120-140 bpm range. Faster than walking, but not running pace for most people. It'll retrain your mitochondria.
>>
>>37806705
When I'm depressed I go run until my mind is mush and nothing matters.
Don't do cardio otherwise. Been fine for 2 weeks now
>>
>>37806803
The exact molecular site
and the primary cause of signal transduction disturbance associated with the symptoms of
depression or mania are still unknown.
Dysfunction in mitochondria and neuronal metabolism are one of many causes for depression. Your suggestions are not approved or well researched psychotherapies.
>>
>>37806705

Some days it's the only thing that gets me out of bed. Other days it's the primary source of my shitty moods and any missed rep becomes the sole reason why I should kill myself.
>>
Thats why u need at least 2 healthy addictions. Mine are gym and vocals. Writing helps when i can single out something specific that's triggering the feels, so i can basically reverse a toxic thought process on paper and feel good about having the strength and wit to do so.

Also not thinking about it as an "illness" helps. Kinda makes you feel like there's something wrong with you or you're a victim or you're stuck feeling this way for life. All really unhelpful, self-fulfilling beliefs.
>>
File: whatthefuckamireading.jpg (63 KB, 397x394) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckamireading.jpg
63 KB, 397x394
>>37806803
>>
>>37806887
>gym and masturbation
making it?
>>
>>37806858
Wrong.

Feel free to google "mitochondria delression" if you take issue with it.
>>
>>37806901
Eh, i should have said productive addictions. Fapping is healthy when it's not an addiction.
>>
Does lifting really feel good?
Does it really help with the depression?
I've never gone to the gym. I really should though, I guess.
>>
>>37806892

Monoamine oxidase homie. I dunno about the carbs part but cardio is legit advice.
>>
>>37806973
For a couple hours afterwards, it feels like everything's alright and you're gonna make it after all.
>>
>>37806705
I work freelance and sometimes have months of no work. The gym is the only fucking thing getting me out of the house three days a week. I do feel much better in general going vs. not. There is just something so innately satisfying about picking something heavy up and lifting it over your head.
>>
>>37806980
MAOI are as effective as placebo. And fuck your shit up.
>>
>>37806984
How did you start getting off your butt
>>
>>37807103

Hardest part of the whole exercise
>>
>>37806705
Don't know m8, I'm just bipolar so I went mad at the gym one day and book some equipment then moved to a new gym where I've managed to keep it together so far.
>>
>>37806705
>not "depression"
>"Hey Anon, just snap out of it"
>"You're just distracted/bored"
>"Why always so negative? You'll die friendless and alone, lol"

>Last night we were watching the Civil War movie with my friends
>That "mission report 1991" scene could sum up how depression takes you over. You fight it with all your might and desperation, that monster eating your brain, slowly getting inside you like a parasite while you only can watch

I hardly have the energy to get out of bed or shower, let alone exercise. i just want it to stop.
>>
Been in a depressive episode for the past few days. It was my birthday, and I literally did not get out of bed once other than to piss. Didn't bother looking at my phone or anything, just laid in bed and stared at the ceiling.

Today was a bit better, got out of bed and went grocery shopping. Tomorrow I'm hoping I'll be back to the gym.
>>
I am getting treated for it.
Working out is anti depressant so you should try to get into it somehow.

Its tough to get motivated, but I've been starting out slowly and now I'm increasing shit steadily.
It definitely helps with the mood and the energy levels.

Doctor said cardio helps the most but I like my weights more for now.

Rather than dropping working out you should look for more things to do.

Also go into therapy if you arent yet. I made huge improvements in a few months already.
>>
>>37807553
i tried therapy for almost a year. did pretty much nothing
>>
>>37807553

Can you share what you talk about during a session?
>>
>>37806973
>when a lurker who was just here for memes becomes a lifting bro

good job /fit/
>>
>>37807883
Not the guy you asked but for me, I talked about my feelings pretty much. Men tend to not keep in touch with their feelings as it's not seen as socially acceptable for them to express their feelings. In my sessions, I talked about how I felt about all sorts of things about my life. You're going to have to be willing to talk about embarassing, awkward, uncomfortable feelings/situations if you want to get the most help from your therapist. They're there to help you, not judge you or make fun of you. Hope this helps a bit
>>
>>37806705
Clinical depression doesn't exist retard.

You only lie to yourself and look for excuses to be lazy and a neet.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>37806705
Depression is applying your will in unnatural ways to your thoughts, mind, body and expression causing your energy to deplete and block. This makes you feel depressed and tired.

Let go of all control and live your life as effortlessly as you can. Deeply surrender to it. Spend a half hour a day doing this and drop it when it becomes more of a natural movement in you
>>
>>37807883
The therapist will try to figure out what causes your fucked up state and then work on that.

He will make you take notes of every day stuff to understand what your values are and adjust the therapy based on that.
As an example a religious person will approach life in a different way than an atheist or agnostic one and there is no one size fits all solution for all people.

There is a lot of talk about your mindset and how you approach things, then attempts at trying to change the way you think with special techniques and homework assignments.

From the looks of it setting up life goals is essential too, at least for me it seems to be.

Its kinda tough, but it helps me a lot.
>>
>>37808359
It's the opposite but I'm not going to bother arguing with a retard.
>>
>>37808348
>>37808444

Thanks for sharing guys. I heard more stories about therapy. And now also your stories. I come to the conclusion the biggest part of your therapy is finding out what is wrong. Am i right? Can you guys be a bit more specific on the solutions they give you?
>>
>>37808581
if the thread is up later I can elaborate some more, but now I got visitors.
>>
>>37808581
This isn't really the formal process but I'll give you somewhat of an idea of how I think it works. They find out what's bothering you. They then dig deeper about why it's bothering you (this is a pretty important part as once you become aware of why you're behaving the way you are, you can make a conscious decision to do something about it - You can't change something if you don't even know it's a problem) So that's essentially the solution I was given, making myself aware of a problem (in other words, gaining some insight into myself) and then my therapist proceeds to inform me of my options of what I can do about it.
>>
File: 1371137020939.jpg (54 KB, 421x363) Image search: [Google]
1371137020939.jpg
54 KB, 421x363
>>37806705

I was struggling with it until like two months ago, then I got on antidepressants.

It's not like my life became perfect (there's still lots of damage to repair), but it became better, that's for sure.
I can feel happiness more, and my default state is now 'neutral', instead of 'pure despair'. It has also helped me get back into a normal sleep schedule, since I don't spend hours turning in my bed crying every night anymore.

Go to a psychiatrist. All those people that say antidepressants are the devil are people who never took them and read on some vegan blog that they're bad. Or victims of the worst healthcare business in the world, the American one, that prescribes SSRI after five minutes, instead of after 6 months of psychology sessions LIKE EVERY FUCKING COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.

That shit will save your life.
Trust a medical professional, not gullible mongrels on the internet.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.