[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any advice for people getting into swimming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1467210855084.jpg (47 KB, 450x297) Image search: [Google]
1467210855084.jpg
47 KB, 450x297
Does anyone have any advice for people getting into swimming? I swam for the first time yesterday and it made my muscles feel amazing, like the first time I started lifting. Post tips or whatever
>>
>>37776409
Swim more
>>
>>37776419
What's the volume I should aim for? Everyday? Every other day?
>>
Start twice a week then build up. Observe other people's technique. Watch tutorials and apply. Aim to add one more length each time
>>
>>37776439
just depends on how in shape you are.
Competitive swimmers swim minimum 2hrs, 5 days a weeks, 5000m
>>
While it obviously isn't lifting, is swimming worth it for muscle growth? It'd be my favorite exercise activitt.
>>
>>37776409
How about you start with more drills and learn how to swim correctly because your form is probably quite shitty
>>
>>37776656
It probably is, what's the best online resource for correcting it? What are drills?
>>
>>37776621
google "professionnal swimmers" and if you like what you see then i'd say it's worth for you to do it.
>>
>>37776656
Id say youtube because of the sheer amount of videos, drills in the sense of form drills for example practicing kicks with a kickboard
>>
I literally can't relax enough to float on my back. I can float on my front just fine and I have the feeling in my mind. I know to look at the ceiling put my chin back and take a breath but i can't bring my hips and legs up enough and just sink.

Any tips?
>>
>>37776860

If you lift and are muscular, floating can be a serious struggle. I give swim lessons and swim competitively for 8 years and cannot do a proper float on my back since lifting.

Best advice I can give is do what you're currently doing plus focus on 'pushing' your hips and stomach up to the surface in the water (essentially by putting a bit of an arch in your back.)
>>
>>37776877
I thought the number one rule of good form was keeping your spine neutral and in line with your body
>>
Are speedos actually useful?
>>
>>37778750
pretty useful for making my ass look JOOCY
>>
>>37776686
Drills are just strokes broken down so you exaggerate a part of the stroke to help you focus and improve the stroke. But what you should aim for is 2 or 3 days a week since your doing to cut I'm assuming. You should aim for 1500 yards or meters which ever kind of pool your in and then just build up to whatever you can get done in a hour to a hour and a half. Swimming will help you cut a lot but also remember to look up breathing patterns and proper technique online to avoid injury. Also remember to increase calorie intake due to now doing a carido sport.
>>
>>37778869
I'm not actually planning on a cut, I"m only 6' 150lbs or so at 10% bf, I just think it's a fun thing to do. Also lifting has been hurting my shoulder and it doesn't hurt while I swim
>>
What's a good beginner stroke? Breast?
>>
c-can someone tell me how to swim?
getting back into it now and I can't swim. I autistically take a few strokes than stay under water for too long or don't breathe.

do you breathe at the end of each stroke or motion? i also smoke 2 packs of cigs a day so that might be why
>>
first buy a kickboard and do that for about an hour. back and forth, back and forth, only using your legs. once you get decent at that you can move on... this is how most children get started when they take lessons
>>
>>37776409
Are you doing it for sport (that is, to be a better swimmer, eg, for competition) or conditioning (to be healthier)?

If your primary goal is conditioning, you don't need to care too much about form, aside from basics to avoid injury. You're not trying to win any competitions. I recommend exercising for time. That is, rather than trying to accomplish X distance, try to swim for X time, and aim for better distance in that time.

I'm afraid I don't know much if you're trying to specifically get better as a swimmer, but practicing a shit load can't hurt.

>>37776621
No. It's excellent exercise, but water only provides a set amount of resistance. For optimal muscle growth (or for any muscle growth at all, past a certain point), you need to be able to increase resistance.
All professional swimmers, like most professional athletes, do some form of strength training to improve their swimming ability.
>>
>>37776409
Don't drown
>>
>>37780872
Doggy paddle, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, and sidestroke.

>>37780891
Assuming you're talking about freestyle/front crawl. Normally, breathe on opposite sides. So breathe while taking a stroke, stroke, stroke, breathe while taking a stroke.

When you're tired, breathe on the same side. So breathe while taking a stroke, stroke, breathe while taking a stroke.
>>
>>37780971
It's not for sport. How do I avoid injury? Thanks in advance anon.
Also how do I work this into my lifting routine? It's Reg Parks routine basically
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.