[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gym vs martial arts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
Which is better join a gym or a martial art
ps: i am asking because i don"t have time for both
>>
>>37775918
Better for what?
Obviously /fit/ is gonna tell you to lift, and only lift
>>
If you've already got a strength base might as well do a martial art. But if you are a weak fuck knowing HOW to martial art isn't going to do anything.
>>
>>37776022
Not true man
Jujitsu is great for cardio and developing core muscles. If your trainer is worth a damn they will also have knowledge of at least basic weight training programs for you to start with.
>>
>>37775918
For what?

To fight? Martial Art
For Health? Depends on how hard you do both
For looking good
>>
both lol

Also, there are usually free gyms that have basic shit like barbells if you live in a decent community.

>do compound lifts
>do a diet that isn't nonsense
>stay hydrated
>join a martial art that isn't bullshit (I'm looking at you, Kung Fu, Krav Maga, other McDojos)

Every martial artist I know lifts weights. Do Muay Thai or BJJ, avoid martial arts schools that teach a ton of different styles to mostly children. TKD or Kodokan Karate are acceptable-ish, but try to find some Judo as well.
>>
>>37776134
If you train any style that isnt ameri-do-te, you arent gonna make it.
>>
>>37776060
>Jujitsu
I think you mean Jiu Jitsu. Jujitsu is the japanese base art that focuses less on ground game. Not criticizing, just saying that from your description, it sounds like you are referring to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

>>37776067
Decent response.

DESU, I recommend anyone who is interested in fitness to try a martial art, it dispels the myth that strength is the only factor in a fight. Also, lots of fun.
>>
>>37776134
>tkd
>acceptable

Tell that to black belt (and iirc olympic competitor) joe rogan.

TKD is 99% useless.

Great for throwing powerless kicks.

Might teach one or two kicks that are applicable.

Basic bitch karate is more useful than that shit (just look at stephen thompson or sage. They fight pretty much as any karateka does)

Either way, an actual kickboxing gym where they actually spar is preferable.

I will see if i can dig up the story of black belt TKD joe rogan getting his head kicked off when he stepped into a real gym.

Muay thai is good, especially for the clinch work. It is a little flat footed, imo. And not really well equipped to deal with lots of quick, short, straight shots with 25-50% power. It is more of a heavy handed (kneed, elbowed, shinned) artform. Less blitz style fighting.
>>
>>37776170
>thinks bjj is significantly different than traditional jujitsu
It is literally the same, minus a few techniques that helio was too weak and scrawny to pull off.
>>
>>37776225
Lol too bad tkd is almost a must have for strikers in the ufc now. Plenty of mma coaches are making their fighters train it in order to counter kick and have a "game over" instant knockout technique under their belts. Tkd by itself is a difficult art to use but supplemented with some boxing, I'd honestly be more afraid of TKD than a Thai fighter
>>
>>37776318
> must have.
Literally who?
>>
>>37776225
>might teach one or two kicks that are useful
>>37776318
>Strikers are using it to learn one or two useful kicks
>>
>>37776336
Just saying, those turning techniques are something every fighter uses now. Plus tkd footwork is miles ahead of most striking styles
>>
>>37776318
>more afraid of tkd
Literally why?

The biggest danger is that he will love tap with his foot a few times so gently, you would have sworn he kissed your cheek.
>>
Pizza Hut
>>
>>37776356
>spinning back kicks are fromTKD exclusively
Lmfao kys
>>
>>37776371
Obviously you've never fought against one then. I've cross trained both Muay thai and tkd (itf) and I've been rocked pretty hard.

>>37776388
Traditional Muay Thai has NEVER taught turning techniques
>>
>>37776410
I never said muay thai had spinning back kick
I do enjoy the implication that only tod and muay thai exist, though.
P.s. Every tkd player i have sparred with kicks lighter than i jab.
>>
>>37776435
I admit that too many schools probably teach the way you decribe with point fighting, but more traditional tkd is all power kicking. The modernization of the art into a sport has made people focus exclusively on tapping the chest guard. My gym that i trained at emphasized hard kicks to the legs and leg conditioning along with fast footwork. We also did some minor grappling. The modern art is nothing compared to the older style
>>
>>37776225
I don't enjoy your rhetoric, but this is highly accurate.
I got into taekwondo after I recieved my karate black belt moved out of town. it was basically extreme cardio class.
It was a hard transition into muay thai, but now my kicks are my greatest asset, fight-wise.
>>37775918
if you want to be more mobile, more athletic, more confident, and healthier, than either
A. choose a good martial art (and a good gym)
B. lift weights for a year or so, then get into martial arts with a nice base.
>>
>>37776225
>joe rogan
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.