[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /fit/ I don't normally browse this board so please bear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: skinny-fat-cut.jpg (28 KB, 548x208) Image search: [Google]
skinny-fat-cut.jpg
28 KB, 548x208
Hi /fit/ I don't normally browse this board so please bear with me, and before I ask my question, yes I have read the sticky.

Now I'm a skinny fat guy; man boobs (I'm pretty sure I have some mild gyno), woman like hips, and a decent gut.

From my understanding is need to either cut, or bulk. Now I'm leaning fairly towards cutting, but I'll post pics of myself for you guys to judge.

But I have a couple of questions, I understand that in order to become fit I must do a decent amount of cardio and strength training. Along with a proper diet of course.

Now for my cardio I decided to go for the couch to 5k plan, as I honestly can't run for shit.

Now for my strength training I have no idea where to begin. I looked at starting strength, but the program appears to incorporate a caloric excess and emphasizes lift progress. Which is fine and all, but if I were to cut first (and I really think I should) how would I go about doing this?

Obviously I should opt for a caloric deficit, but do I continue doing the starting strength program? Or should I do something else?

I'm sorry if you guys have seen this post a million times before I apologize, please bear with me as I have literally never been to a gym.

I'll continue to ask more questions as I post my pics. If you can answer them I would really be grate full. If not, I hope I didn't offend you, and I hope you have a nice day.
>>
File: 20160702_003056.jpg (2 MB, 1944x1934) Image search: [Google]
20160702_003056.jpg
2 MB, 1944x1934
So for a guy who is 5 10 and 210 pounds, I understand that I need to eat about 210 grams of protein and I need to eat about 75-100 grams of carbs (if I want to cut).

Do I have those numbers right?

I also understand that as my weight decreases and increases I need to readjust those numbers.

Here is the first picture for you guys to weigh in on if I should cut or bulk.
>>
>>37770476
If you're a skinnyfat beginner, my recommendation is to eat at maintenance or slightly above (like 200-300 calories per day above) with 40% of calories from protein, 30% from fat and 30% from carbs. Weigh and measure your food and be honest about every bite you take, and keep track.
On top of diet, lifting is important. Starting Strength is fine, Stronglifts is fine, but don't bother with either of these for longer than 4 months. Their benefits lie not in building a strength base, but un teaching you the movements for the main lifts. After this you may consider switching routines, but that's another question you'll be able to consider more carefully after 4 months of lifting with concentration on form and eating right.
The key is consistency, so make sure to always watch what you eat, and to push for that progressive overload (increase in intensity either by more weight, more reps or more power) with each successive lifting session.
Good luck.
>>
File: 20160702_003745.jpg (2 MB, 1944x1809) Image search: [Google]
20160702_003745.jpg
2 MB, 1944x1809
>>
>>37770476
>i need to cut or bulk
fuck will this meme just die already.
do both, you will make insane muscle gains while losing body fat.
This will continue happening sometimes up to 2 years depending on how much your deficit is.
Cutting/Bulking applies to people who are already at such a low body fat that they have to increase calories to gain mass.
>>
File: 20160702_002957.jpg (2 MB, 1867x2050) Image search: [Google]
20160702_002957.jpg
2 MB, 1867x2050
>>37770538
From my understanding is that I shouldn't eat at maintenance at all. And go for a cut as apparently my "nutrient partitioning" is all messed up. (I've just been researching on skinny fat so I don't know if this is credible or not)

And that if I were to eat at excess all those calories would go into my fat stores like there already are doing. And that I would not see decent results.

I don't know if this is true or not but skinny fat guys also have a hormone problem due to their diet, and that the fat needs to go for the testosterone to rebalancelebrate itself.

With these in mind I feel like I should cut. But thank you for answering my weight lifting question.

So if I understood you correctly I should just concentrate on lifting, and gradually increasing weight and reps as I felt more comfortable?
>>
>>37770614
Fucking phone

I mean rebalance itself
>>
>>37770614
Cut

You don't need to do SS with caloric excess if you're fat. Read the book

Also 1g/lb protein is overkill, more like .75g/lb
>>
>>37770582
How would I be able to do both?

Surely I can't eat a deficit and at excess at the same time? Or am I missing something here?
>>
File: 20160702_003720.jpg (2 MB, 1944x1804) Image search: [Google]
20160702_003720.jpg
2 MB, 1944x1804
>>
File: 20160702_003952.jpg (2 MB, 1944x1957) Image search: [Google]
20160702_003952.jpg
2 MB, 1944x1957
>>
That's all the pictures I took for now, what are your guys's opinions?

Cut or bulk?

And if any of you wouldon't be able to put your input on my other questions I would be grateful. Thank you in advance.
>>
>>37770681
I also apologize for the typos, my phone is acting all shitty.
>>
>>37770476
Pick up heavy things and put them down again. Or gtfo of /fit
>>
>>37771107
I see.
>>
>>37770633
Ya got memed
>>
So is it safe for me to assume that as long as I dont expect continuous strength growth, following starting strength while keeping a safe 500 calorie deficit I can safely lose bodyfat and be on my way to becoming fit?

Or do I have this all wrong?
>>
i was in your position

it may not be optimal, but if you're gonna give up because you're confused, keep it simple:

follow a lifting routine
eat at a deficit

you will lose weight and see noob gains

everything else is just refining that base
>>
Been where you are.. rhe key, the real key is just picking a simple sunstainable strategy like eating around mantainance favoring protein over carbs, some gym routine AND STICKING WITH IT. Incorporate into your life, it's hard the first month but it ia much easier once you built a habit of it. Going to the gym has to be like waking up for work,you don't evaluate every day,you just go.
Don't stop, don't reevaluate till like at least 9 months into it. I dropped like 30kg in year and only then I could evaluate where to go from there. ( I didn't even realize I was fitter since it was so gradual)
>>
>>37771843
>>37771883
Thank you guys, I appreciate the encouragement.

And thanks to everyone else who answered my questions or put input, I appreciate them. I wish all of you happiness.

And at the very least I hope you guys have a nice day. :)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.