[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>yfw you read the scientific literature and realized fatties
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: zain.jpg (73 KB, 995x611) Image search: [Google]
zain.jpg
73 KB, 995x611
>yfw you read the scientific literature and realized fatties are right

there is literally no concrete evidence that being obese directly leads to a higher mortality rate rather it's likely to be underlying problems such as poor cardiovascular health

in theory you could be a fatty but train cardio and be at the same health risk as the general population

i'm not defending fatties but damn

>yfw you read the scientific literature and realized those in the underweight category die at a greater weight than any other category, including morbidly obese

>yfw you read the scientific literature and realized that individuals classified as 'overweight' on the basis of BMI (25-30) have the lowest rate of death of any category, even lower than those considered 'healthy' on the basis of BMI (18-25)
>>
>>37769900
They taught us that in college.

By the way, fatties aren't parading around because they're less likely to die, they're parading around because they are subconsciously trying to get that good Chad cock.

You'd do well to stay out of their way.
>>
If you manage to be fat while exercising often and following a good diet then yeah.

Except that's extremely rare.
>>
>>37769900
>needing someone else to tell you living a sedentary life is more deadly than obesity.
Sloth is what causes peoples legs to fall off when they are fat, the being fat part just doesn't help.
Sumo wrestlers who retire have to maintain a pretty rigid diet to go back to a more manageable calorie intake or else they would fucking die.
>>
>>37770013
>>37769900
Actually this is untrue.
I'd be very interested to see any study that controls for these conditions with obese and average subjects.(For example, most of these studies compare mortality for obese and average people both afflicted with the same problems, and find that fat people with heart disease have similar mortality rates to thin people with heart disease, despite heart disease in Shamu being a complication of obesity).
It's a bit silly to say "obesity doesn't kill, heart disease and high cholesterol kill" when obesity begets high cholesterol and heart disease.
It's also completely ridiculous to ignore the simple mechanical implications of obesity on a body, such as faster wear and tear on bones, joints and ligaments.
>>
>>37769900
5'9, 173lb

Overweight on bmi (i think i was 25.8 or something). And 13% bodyfat.

Healthy as fuck.

Shit is designed for DYELs
>>
>>37770155
>It's a bit silly to say "obesity doesn't kill, heart disease and high cholesterol kill" when obesity begets high cholesterol and heart disease.
/thread
>>
5'10
Doctor says I'm apparently healthy as fugg, that I only need to eat a little less red meat
>>
Thats all fine but I do not want to be fat, fat people look like shit and I do not want to look lile shit.

I'd rather die 5 years earlier looling like a sick cunt, or maybe when I'm around 80 years old I'll get fat and start a nice herion addiction.
>>
By "fat" they mean 17-20%

Not 30-50%
>>
>BMI

Fuck off with that. Useless dyel crap
>>
>>37769900
>there is literally no concrete evidence that being obese directly leads to a higher mortality rate
Yeah sure thing OP, but do those studies exclude anyone who is being kept alive with lots of pills, shots, and surgeries to fix the damage they cause themselves by being fatter-than-fatass? I think not.
>quality of life over quantity of life
>>
Does anyone have sauce on anything being posted in this thread? Specifically:

>individuals classified as 'overweight' on the basis of BMI (25-30) have the lowest rate of death
>being obese doesn't have higher mortality rate
>>
File: 20160515_183522-1.jpg (1 MB, 1251x1704) Image search: [Google]
20160515_183522-1.jpg
1 MB, 1251x1704
Fucking retarded.
https://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm
>>
>>37770777

This.

Everything I've read suggests being a bit overweight actually increases life expectancy. That's not true for real fatties though. Diabetes, heart disease, etc.
>>
>>37771018
>These findings from representative US cohorts are consistent with global observations. In a quantitative analysis of a number of previously published studies, involving >600000 men and women, Troiano et al.8 observed a similar U-shaped relationship between BMI and mortality, with the lowest mortality rates between BMIs of 23 and 29. Most of the range considered ‘overweight’ was not associated with higher risk. On the other hand, low BMI was. For example, mortality rates for men with BMIs between 19 and 21 were the same as those for men with BMIs between 29 and 31. Troiano et al. emphasized that, ‘this quantitative analysis of existing studies revealed increased mortality at moderately low BMI for white men comparable with that observed at extreme overweight, which does not appear to be due to smoking or existing disease. Attention to the health risks of underweight is needed, and body weight recommendations for optimum longevity need to be considered in light of these risks.’8

>But the greatest problem with the statistical linkages between body mass and mortality is that other confounding factors are not considered, leaving little basis for drawing causal inferences. Most epidemiological studies estimating the relationship between body weight and mortality do not control for fitness, exercise, diet quality, weight cycling, diet drug use, economic status, or family history. Furthermore, in studies that control for some of these factors, the data are usually self-reported and thus of extremely questionable reliability. (See, for example, the five-point exercise scale used in the Nurses' Health Study.) By contrast, when one or more confounders are controlled for in a rigorous fashion, the already weak association between higher body mass and greater mortality tends to be greatly attenuated or disappear altogether.

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/35/1/55.full

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/147/8/739.full.pdf
>>
File: qualitystory.png (581 KB, 1121x271) Image search: [Google]
qualitystory.png
581 KB, 1121x271
I swear we've had this exact thread before.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.