[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How Do into Cardio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: 1467060767349.png (242 KB, 767x286) Image search: [Google]
1467060767349.png
242 KB, 767x286
So I really like lifting. Like, its really fun for me to get stronger.

My aerobic conditioning is absolutely shit though. I'd like to not be absolutely pathetic with running, but I have no idea how to make it fun for me. (It has to be running because bikes are shit for posture, and no idea how to properly swim OR cheap pools around)

How do I make cardio training fun in the same way strength training is? How do I even really start?

I have a feeling I'll just be fucking around if I "just do it", Id like to make improvement somehow for motivation.

Thanks guys. Posting your own "success story" would also be cool if you want. The more motivation the better, now is the best time.
>>
i think the most important thing is to follow an actual routine
couch to 5k is pretty nice
or else you're just running around with no short term goal, that would kill my motivation desu
>>
>>37766541
Couch to 5k. I did it last year and although my strength has gone down a little bit I lost 40 pounds and feel great. I only run 5 to 10 miles a week which is pure shit compared to most runners but is better than probably 90 some odd percent of the population. 'murica
>>
>>37766557
Exactly.

What next after c25k? Any books on running training that are genuinely interesting reads?

Thanks
>>
>>37766714
there's a lot of articles about progressing from 5k to 10k etc
high intensity interval training is awesome too and great for fat loss
trailrunning is fun too

never read a book about running
>>
>>37766714

Bridge to 10k, there's a subreddit for it. C25K on reddit is full of "week 2, feel so amazing!" commentless threads but when you get to b210k the number of people posting drops dramatically, which tells you something. After that, half marathon training or just do speed work hill runs or whatever. Trail running is probably the most fun, but its dependent on where you live. Much better for big quads, running uphill for 2 or 3 miles is no joke
>>
I started doing a lot of the "fat burning" workouts that youtube guys post. I never really paid them any attention and then figured it was easier to do some HIIT "cardio" than running around the block. just play a video and get on the ground. There's thousands of workouts and goofy names for the different movements but ultimately they're all there for you to get sweaty.

https://youtu.be/XTZZ6cn-N80
>>
File: run with emi.jpg (2 MB, 4268x3100) Image search: [Google]
run with emi.jpg
2 MB, 4268x3100
>>37766541

Try warming up 5-10 minutes before workout and ending with 20-25 minutes?

Get your heart rate to 60-80 % max BPM.
(220 - age) x percentage
Work up resistance but maintain intensity

Or use the pic. I don't listen to music or anything when doing cardio but I was watching the Euro Cup on the television, which helps.
>>
>>37766755
My primary focus is strength, so HIIT would get in the way if trained frequently. Not sure what trail running is I'll look it up.

Ive read a few books on lifting. After two or so they get pretty repetitive, training can be complicated but the concepts behind it arent.

>>37766814
So I just increase distance/time? If I wanted to get faster, like say a >16m 2mile, how would I do it? The more I can learn about it the more likely I'll stick to it.

Thanks guys
>>
>>37766541
MUSIC
U
S
I
C

&

GOALS
O
A
L
S

Seriously, good music goes a long way in cardio.
Competitive goals also make a huge difference.

Challenge yourself, give yourself a reason to think this is all worth it.
Run a mile with some insane hills, have that feeling of being beaten half to death by the end of it. Two months later after training run that same route and see how easy it feels, how badass you are for doing something most other 1st worlders can't.

When you eventually move into moderate-experienced cardio you'll look back and know it was worth it.
>>
>>37766541
Cardio can be more than running, biking, swimming. Switch things up by using the rowing machine. Do sled runs. Throw balls at the ground and catch them. Pick up a tire only to put it back down.
>>
well since it's summer it's hot as fuck out, at least in my area. However if you're a fan of nature go out when it's cool (personally I go for a run between 7-8pm) go to a park or something and just run around it with your favorite music. Start at what feels comfortable speed and distance wise then either try to go farther or try to go faster. Also don't run indoors, shits not fun imo.
>>
>>37766541
Train for a triathlon. Specific goals, technique and performance focus, and you get to learn to swim. You could also do marathon, half, 10k, etc. but those are kind of shifty for you
>>
File: 1466793754914.jpg (38 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1466793754914.jpg
38 KB, 657x527
>>37766541
to make running less painful at first:
>start on grass / dirt trails, avoid loose sand and pavement until you're more conditioned
>avoid gravel like the plague
>elevate your feet above your heart after running
>use pic related if you get blisters
>run earlier in the day--i find i sleep best with this schedule
>use Desitin diaper rash cream if you get irritation in between your legs

to make running more fun:
>music music music, whatever gets you pumped. Last summer, i would listen to dragon ball z battles because Gohan screaming while powering up really did it for me
>run in areas where there are lots of people, it's very motivational
>sometimes it's fun to see how fast you can go, so i practice running alongside random people on bicycles. it's very fun, and the person on the bike usually gets a kick out of it
>when I'm running laps (and don't have to worry about cars), I tune myself into whatever is on my headphones. This is a way to detach yourself from the run and meditate.
>you haven't lived until you've run shirtless in the rain
>>
>>37766714

Daniel's Running Formula is an excellent source of:

Exercise physiology of endurance training
Programs for 800/1500m, 5k/10k, half marathon, and full marathon for beginner, intermediate, advanced, elite
Answers to most of your questions about running mechanics, stride rate, breathing, treadmills, some psychology of running, etc.
>>
File: 12229707.jpg (72 KB, 300x339) Image search: [Google]
12229707.jpg
72 KB, 300x339
>>37766769
>subreddit
>reddit
>>
>>37767507
Uhhh pic related is autistic Pepe with glasses.
>>
>>37767507
Use pepe for blisters?
>>
File: c26-B005CPGN1S-1-l.jpg (50 KB, 425x700) Image search: [Google]
c26-B005CPGN1S-1-l.jpg
50 KB, 425x700
>>37768362
>>37768393
kek didn't think that one through, meant to put this
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.