[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I improve my stoicism ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: LeoD.Cover-FTR.jpg (153 KB, 1240x775) Image search: [Google]
LeoD.Cover-FTR.jpg
153 KB, 1240x775
How do I improve my stoicism ?
>>
>>37763303
Go to /pol/ read everything and don't react in anyway
>>
Become dead inside
>>
>>37763303
When thinking of something that might affect your mannerisms, simply don't react to it.
>>
start by not making threads on 4chan where you cry about your problems
>>
Expose yourself to all the hate and vitriol the world offers. Find love and destroy it.

Repeat until emotional failure.
>>
nimp
>>
i sai d help
>>
>>37763303
Buttplug xl.
Ask anyone that uses them, gotta keep a straight face.
>>
Find genuine lasting happiness.
Then please come back and explain how I can get it too.

I used to think I was "stoic" or "reserved" but I'm probably just depressed.
>>
You could do what I did
Fishing, Hunting, Horror movies get completely desensitized because people can tell a faker faster then wet paint.
Always be thinking about something it kinda gives you a aloof look on your face.
Workout so you give off that Strong Silent Type vibe
Lastly always choose your words carefully
For example
>Anon your a very quiet person
Now your want to tell them to piss off but you got to know your roll like an actor on a stage.
Try "Depends of the topic"
When your stotic people seem to look for your option like your a sage or wise man(you can BS alot) It kind of goes with the saying of "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Your voice will carry weight with it.
Eventually whatever personally you had before will disappear or only resurface around your loved ones/people close to you. I used to have a horrible speech impediment but its gone now.
Just remember only when look dead inside can you truly feel great inside.
>>
>>37764729
You just gave him a great example of why "trying to be stoic" in a superficial way makes you look like a completely autistic loser.
>>
>>37764569
HAH not falling for that again!
>>
Stoicism was partly refined by Marcus Aurelius, and his works are very easy to read compared to say Diogenes'. Read his "Meditations".
>>
>>37764754
Were all just actors Anon and the world is our stage
>>
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 650x842) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 650x842
>>37764729
At least you didn't tell him to wear scorpion jacket, drive an old car, and raise some spics son.
>>
>>37763303

You react to every thing like a schoolchild because the stresses of your everyday life are difficult for you.

If you start to increase the stresses you place yourself under (Like lifting until you can't walk, Getting used to being screamed at, etc.) everyday stresses won't trigger an emotional response from you, thus improving your stoicism.

aka "I've been through worse shit than this, this is nothing".
>>
Seems like 90% of you idiots have no idea what Stoicism is. It's not about becoming emotionally dead inside, in a nutshell it's about goal-setting and not letting your emotions distract you from those goals. Read Marcus Aurelius and stop talking out your asses.
>>
>>37763303
You don't want it. I have a what females call a resting serial killer face apparently. I'm Russian and my parents always said only an idiot smiles for no reason which does not blend well with the us culture of smile like a retard and generally be bubbly to everyone.
Girls think I'm scary but really I'm just attentive.
>>
>>37764890

Same here. Polish Ancestry.

I've tried being gregarious and smiling a lot but holy fuck it seems fake as hell.
>>
>>37764811
Diogenes was a cynic you fucking retard. And aurelius didn't define stoicism it was already the most popular philosophy before he was born. He isn't easier to read you just got a dumbed down translation. I'm pretty diogenes writings were all lost anyways so your whole post was nonsense from the beginning.
>>
File: 1467344009102.jpg (957 KB, 518x3648) Image search: [Google]
1467344009102.jpg
957 KB, 518x3648
>>
>>37764873
> Flips through one book
> Is expert on stoicism
Read Seneca and Epictetus and you'll have a much more thorough understanding.
>>
>>37764919

Is the Hays version ok?
>>
>>37763323
Edgy but accurate and helpful.
I found what I would say is one "true" or "intense" love in my life. That love was wild, crazy, always passionate, she was brilliant, challenging, sexy, fun, she could drink, it was just amazing. Unfortunately it failed because we were two greatly passionate people.
Fast forward to two years later, every other girl I've tried to date has always commented that I don't get very excited over much, or that I seem emotionally closed off, that I hardly show any reaction to things. It's rough, because it's not that I dislike these women, or that things we do together don't illicit an emotional response, it's just a lot smaller than what it used to be because I've become accustomed to more strenuous emotional situations from my previous passionate love.
>>
>>37764890
same here, I just have a ugly face and it's 100x worse when I show a huge smile. Plus my teeth are shit
>>
>>37764959
You'll get comfortable with the material with either way, but I'm partial to the Long translation. Sorry for the plebbit link but there's a side by side comparison of a couple translations. I find Long to be pretty language while hays is more concise.
>>
>>37764873

I don't know where you got the impression that I just "flipped through" it. I do need to read the others though, I agree with you there.
>>
>>37764917
Problem is the eyes. Charismatic people are either genuine or have better control over the small muscles in and around the eyes. The way your brow pulls heavily determines if a smile looks real or not.
>>
Far better it is to have a stout heart always and suffer one's share of evils, than to be ever fearing what may happen.
- Hermocrates
>>
>>37765074
Forgot the linkhttps://m.reddit.com/r/Stoicism/comments/137knd/survey_best_meditations_by_marucs_aurelius/
>>
>>37763303
Break your legs
>>
>>37765124
Your understanding is shit because you've only read MA. It wasn't meant to be published and it was just his notes. There isn't a flow to his ideas it's essentialy his quote of the day. While MA was a stoic you won't become a stoic by reading his book.
>>
>>37764811
Seneca is better at stoicism tho.
>>
it's good for picking up girls but it will screw you in business because you aren't warm and friendly
>>
>>37765784
The point of stoicism isn't money or pussy, CHAD.
>>
realize that everything is simply a cruel joke. religions, desire, love. all of it is a cognitive lie fostered by your genetic predisposition to continue the species. you might think this might be special: wanting to continue, but it isn't. if you had two animals and one wanted to procreate and the other didn't, which one would be around a generation later? our existence is the result of randomly being the one that fucked.

you might think we're smart. we're not. we as humans are simple, with only hundreds of billions of neurons incapable of processing the vast complexity of the universe. there are hundreds of /trillions/ of neutrinos passing through your body every /second/. nothing that you or even the sum of humanity will do can even come close to grasping or processing the shear immensity of the universe or even the mechanisms at in play in our own tiny world. we as a species will die out, just like the others, and there is no reason to think we are special in any way.

once you accept your insignificance everything becomes pretty dull. glhf
>>
File: m'lady.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
m'lady.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>37764729
>>
>>37763303
The fact that you care about your stoicism means you already are on the wrong path.
>>
Find something you love and lose
Find something you love and be forced to lose it through your own actions
Find someone to love and have the world tear your apart

and whenever you're just about to crawl out that hole the world dug for you remember that whatever happiness you find outside is just a brief interlude between pits of sadness and despair.
>>
>>37764569
Don't do this OP. You'll be left with a permanent smile since you're a faggot
>>
>>37764873
Came into this thread to say this.
>>
>>37763303
My friends say that when I watch scary movies and shit I look like a psychopath because I can't be scared. They try to jump out and scare me sometimes. It never works. Is this stoic or just lacking a fight or flight in fabricated situations
>>
>>37767238
this desu
>>
>>37767409
I mean this sincerely . You have autism
>>
>>37764729
You're really trying hard to be something that you're clearly not.. Just drop it already and enjoy yourself
>>
>>37764837
Cringed hard at this post, sheesh
>>
>>37763308
and post a pic of yourself
>>
>>37767409
When I was depressed I was like that, I still am to a certain extent, but not nearly as bad.
>>
>>37764890
Serb here, they think I am always angry.
>>
>>37767409
That is autism, honestly. This is one of the symptoms, I have it.
>>
>>37767176
You're describing nihilism, not stoicism.
>>
>>37767109
CHAD is OPTIMISTIC and goes to CHURCH while you read STOICISM and CRY.
>>
>>37763303
Just repress anything stressful till it becomes hard to deal with day to day life.
Congrats your now stoic.
>>
So is Stoicism being calm at all times? I'm a goofy motherfucker and I get too hyper I would like to learn how to be calm. I think my enthusiasm for shit rubs people the wrong way.
>>
>>37767670
Yeah it's basically about embracing reason over all else and acting independent of emotions
Realize that just because you feel excited doesn't mean you need to act like it
>>
Tim Ferris, please go.
>>
>>37767670
Stoicism is a meme-word used by tweenies for being a fucking adult.
>>
>>37767670
no. if your dog dies, for example, even a Stoic Sage would grieve for it--but he'd grieve adequately.

>>37767736
this guy has the right idea in that Stoicism is indeed about thinking rationally so that you aren't overcome by your emotions, but it has nothing to do with not acting excited when you feel it

the only 'acting' part of Stoicism is acting virtuously, i.e. doing 'good' according to the duty you were assigned. are you a writer? be the best damn writer you can be to the best of your ability

however, a big part of Stoicism is recognizing what you can and cannot control. you can control what you do to become a good writer, but maybe circumstances prevent you from becoming famous or rich from your work--and learning to accept this is the mark of a good Stoic. keep trying, but don't get pissed off if it doesn't work out

TL;DR control what you can, accept what you can't
>>
>>37767643
kek'd

but in all seriousness OP said Stoicism with a capital S, not the retarded horse shit that is now the definition of 'stoic' with a lowercase S
>>
>>37767238

This lol

Fucking tryhard faggots, no one in here will make it
>>
>>37768370
>trying hard to improve oneself
>not making it

pick one
>>
>>37768325
I got the impression that acting without passion (in that language feelsies) was one of the points of it
>>
Ask yourself what life would be like if you were to allow it to be the way it is at this very moment without trying to change it.

And surrender to everything.

That's how I had my spiritual awakening at least.
>>
File: Chuang Tzu Basic Writings.jpg (26 KB, 312x499) Image search: [Google]
Chuang Tzu Basic Writings.jpg
26 KB, 312x499
>>37768325
So how similar would you say Stoicism to Taoism? Your mention about the dog kind of reminds of Chuang Tzu's story about how he acted when his wife died, at least in pic related's translation.
>>
File: stepup.png (305 KB, 383x500) Image search: [Google]
stepup.png
305 KB, 383x500
>>37763303
The easiest way is to not put women on a pedastal. Hot girls are used to men kissing their feet. If you treat them like normal people they'll want your dick.
>>
>>37768635
expand on this i don't get it. so never try to fight for your rights? if your being wronged just let it happen?
>>
>>37768683
Not him, but if people involve you in a negative way then you have no choice but to fight for your rights.

I think the point is that if you're just there then no one's going to have a problem with you in the first place.
>>
>>37764976
Sounds like you got cucked or something ?!??!?!?!?!?---!/!
>>
I think I was born a stoic (aka autism ans schizoid)

I remember those games at school as a kid when you had to try and make the people laugh and break their straight face. I was always the last and I could do it so well that everyone just gave up. ice cold nigga
>>
>>37763323
Effective but totally unnecessary. This is emotional suicide. I would argue that learning to adopt a stoic attitude around is preferable killing your emotions altogether.
>>
>>37767585
I cant tell if this is bait or real my god
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 500x377
>>37767980
>>
>>37768552
the point is not to act without passion, but not to FEEL "passions", which are a whole different concept

Stoics believe that events don't disturb us, only our thoughts about the events. that means to an extent, we can control our own emotions by changing our thoughts

if someone you love dies, of course you won't be able to completely stomp down any sad feelings you get about it, but you can use logic to make sure that your emotions don't become passions--uncontrollable, irrational, very strong feelings that overwhelm you

>>37768639
I'm afraid I'm not very well-versed in Taoism so I can't give you a complete answer, but it definitely has some parallels to Stoicism:
>both advocate for calmness and resolve in the face of hardship
>both emphasize the "natural world"
>both see virtue as being important
the main difference to me is the definitions of virtue
for example, Stoics place a lot of emphasis on fulfilling one's duty, but Taoists seem to avoid the Stoic idea of 'duty'
also the Stoics place a lot of emphasis on logic and reason and the Taoists don't seem to rationalize things as much
>>
>>37768683
it's a common misconception that Stoics just "let things happen"

you should always actively try to do shit, just realize that there is only one thing you can control: your trying. you can't control the outcomes, so you have to learn how to not let said outcomes disturb you
>>
>>37768843
There's a mysterious aura about a stoic that people just don't want to fuck with either.

I knew a stoic growing up in high school and he was in our circle of friends but always had a "don't fuck with me" attitude that everyone respected. The funny thing is that he was short and skinny. His demeanor just commanded respect and no one fucked with him or busted his balls at all.
>>
>literally edgy teenager emo mode
that's not stoicism....
>>
>>37768882
Edgy teenager emo mode is linkin park and a fucking naruto headband. I knew those kids in school and everyone laughed at them. The few stoics, despite not being athletes, were respected by the "in" crowd.
>>
>>37763303
Wait, this is actually a thing?? You people do realize you either are naturally stoic or not, and if you try to change, you look and will most likely act like an idiot.
>>
>>37768870
until the middle of junior year of HS I was never even familiar with Stoicism as a school of thought, but I held many of the same beliefs

coincidentally I was also seen as being mysterious even though half the time I was pretty outgoing and made people laugh, the other half I was just minding my own business

girls used to talk to me a lot because they thought I "liked being mysterious" and maybe they could be the one to get me to open up or some shit... thing is I never kept my thoughts a secret or anything (actually, I was quite blunt when I was asked something), so I wonder what made them assume that in the first place
>>
>>37768925
Stoicism is a school of thought that existed in ancient Greece and Rome

the definition of "stoic" has been perverted by time and ignorance, so look for the capital S to see the difference

also you can make yourself "stoic" if you really want to
>>
>>37768870
>>37768898
I'm calling bs on hs kids being actually stoics. Maybe by today's definition of showing no emotion, but not real Stoicism. More likely they were just depressed and didn't give a shit about anything, yet didn't become turbo Autist.
>>
>>37768950
you're right in like 99% of cases, but I started practicing Stoicism in 11th grade (*because* I was depressed) and ended up teaching some friends about it too
>>
>>37768882
>>37768898
shit i was replying to this >>37767176
>>
>>37768950
I'm talking a couple out of a few thousand. I went to a big high school
>>
Epictetus
>>
>>37764837
You are a fake poser who puts tons of thought into everyday life
>>
>>37768972
are you implying I was not respected by my peers in high school?
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.