[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"men" who lift instead of doing calisthenics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: human flag.jpg (63 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
human flag.jpg
63 KB, 600x396
>"men" who lift instead of doing calisthenics
>>
What's a good calisthenics routine I can do 5 times a week? Thus far I've got; Push ups, diamond/wide pushups, chin ups, pull ups, squats, ab crunches, sit ups and bicycle crunch. What else can I add?
>>
>>37763687
Kek
>>
>>37763687
get a pair of rings and progress to do the variety of exercises you can do with them
>>
>>37763687
Do some one-legged squats since you have no leg work.
>>
>>37763687

>push ups
>diamond push ups

Those are not two different exercises, just a progression of the same exercise. It's like you were doing a 50 lbs bench press and 60 lbs bench press as two different exercises.

>chin ups
>pull ups

No need to have both. They hit the same muscles, just with slightly different emphasis.

>crunches
>situps
>bicycle crunch

WTF is this shit. Throw away all that shit. If you want to train abs then try progressing with L-sit. Maybe try dragon flags.

Aside from that you can train bodyweight rows, front lever, back lever, pike pushups (later progress to handstand pushups) and all kinds of shit on gymnastic rings (ring dips being the simplest and pretty good for chest).
>>
File: laughing sloots.jpg (30 KB, 358x406) Image search: [Google]
laughing sloots.jpg
30 KB, 358x406
>>37763053
>"men" who can't lift more that than their body weight
>>
>>37763765
Chin ups and pull ups hit different areas, maybe I fucked up the name but one is underhand which does biceps whilst the other is overhand with wider grip and focuses on back. Not sure I'd be able to do dragon flags, give L-sit a whack though.

>>37763755
Cheers, lunges alright as well?

>>37763732
zozzle
>>
Ah good ole Kali in his natural habitat
>>
>>37763868

You got the names right. But chin ups still engage the lats, and pull ups still hit your bicep. Doing both is kinda redundant.

If I were you I'd do pull ups, and if you want to additionaly hit your bicep specifically, then maybe look up Ring Bicep Curls.
>>
>>37763868
>>37763909
>If I were you I'd do pull ups

Ah, to give you some reasoning behind this one - most people are just better at chin ups than pull ups, so I'd focus on the weaker lift to hit the parts that are lagging, and I just assumed you'll be like most people in that regard.
>>
>>37763979
People are worse at pull ups because it is mechanically disadvantageous comparred to chin up.

Chin up is better for lats and bicep.
Pull up is better for forearm and lower traps.

Dorian yates says to stick to chins if lats are a concern..

And he had the GOAT lats
>>
>>37764014
Also, wide grip focuses more on the upper back musculature (teres, rhomboids, trapezius) where as narrow grip is more lats, and gives a bigger ROM.

Hammer grip chins are great for brachialis, radiobrachialis, and bicep. A good compromise between chin and pull ups
>>
File: 234.png (298 KB, 600x512) Image search: [Google]
234.png
298 KB, 600x512
>>37763979
>tfw stronger at pull ups than at chin ups
>>
>>37763053
>not soing both.

The guy in the OP lifts.

I tried to do calisthenic progression for 4 months, made no real progress.

Coming off 6 minths of greyskull, i can do a straddle planche, a muscle up (not strict, tho), a front lever, and a human flag.

I can almost do a back lever, but i cant hold it for more than a quarter second
>>
>>37764040
Weak bicep, strong forearms, stronger lower traps than lats.
>>
File: f2.gif (2 MB, 324x244) Image search: [Google]
f2.gif
2 MB, 324x244
>tfw so close to my first bar muscle up today, but hand slipped off just as I was about to press myself out because some faggot gym employee had cleaned the chalk off the bar with what felt like a soap.
>>
>>37764059
I've been doing it for a year and I made a lot of improvements. I would go to the gym too but I don 't have a vehicle yet. Doing both is definitely the better idea
>>
>>37764080
Tip top mother fucking kek. Sabatoged!
>>
>>37763687

This is a good program.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html?m=1

Be sure to look up every excercise on youtube so you have proper form, form is very important.

Good luck anon, we are all going to make it.
>>
>>37764014
>>37764014
>People are worse at pull ups because it is mechanically disadvantageous comparred to chin up.

All the more reason to do pullups? There are some people for who the inverse is true, so it's not pure mechanical disadvantage, and you say yourself that they emphasize slightly different muscles.

>Chin up is better for lats and bicep.
>Pull up is better for forearm and lower traps.

I don't think the part about chins working lats more is true, and I don't see why there would be a difference in how forearms get worked. Otherwise, yeah.

>Dorian yates says to stick to chins if lats are a concern..
>And he had the GOAT lats

Yeah, okay I guess. I say do whichever of those, so I guess we're not really in a disagreement here.
>>
>>37764102
A year, and you made a lot of improvements, eh?
Why do i feel this is only partially true?

Can you planche? Can you v-sit? Can you muscle up? Can you front lever?

Progressing for a full year, i would think you did all those a while agoo
>>
>>37764145
>i dont think the part about chin up working more lats is true.

Google the emg comparison. Fgt.
Also mechanically disadvantageous lifts are generally worse not better.

People dont replace deadlift with snatch grip deadlift.

You move more weight with comventional, and thus get more results.

I would rather someone did a chin up, and just add more weight to make up for the mechanical effeciency
>>
>>37764151
>Progressing for a full year, i would think you did all those a while agoo

"Improvement" is relative. That kinda depends on his starting point, doesn't it?

From obese or skellington to a V-sit in a year would be pretty fucking amazing.

Planche in a year I believe is straight up not doable unless you had previous training.
>>
>>37764181
Did i mention i am formerly obese?

If you cant v sit after a year of "progress" you really didnt make much progress.
>>
>>37764181
Lift and you will get to planche in a year
>>
File: 1448576154792.png (426 KB, 610x430) Image search: [Google]
1448576154792.png
426 KB, 610x430
>>37764178
>Also mechanically disadvantageous lifts are generally worse not better.

We're talking calisthenics. Mechanical disadvantage is how you achieve progressive overload here. How the fuck do you expect to progress otherwise without weights?

>People dont replace deadlift with snatch grip deadlift.
> add more weight

Calisthenics, remember?
>>
File: 1451094123274.jpg (124 KB, 691x680) Image search: [Google]
1451094123274.jpg
124 KB, 691x680
>>37764204
>formerly obese
>Planche in a year
>>
>>37764259
To be fair, i did start losing weight before i started calisthenics or lifting. But 10 months in and i have been able to straddle planche for a while now.

>>37764225
Herp derp.
You win this round.

Why not do weighted chins though, aside from the arbirtrary distinction that it wont be calisthenics anymore?
Just grab something heavy with your feet, ya dingus
>>
>>37764299
Nothing wrong with using a weight vest for your calisthenics if you ask me
>>
>>37764299

Not saying adding weight is bad, but most people are doing Cali because they don't have access to weights/don't want to go to the gym. Adding weight to chins/pulls is just hella awkward without a dip belt. I mean you could put some heavy shit in a backpack, but that shifts your center of mass and it's still kinda awkward.
>>
Of course, walk into a thread about bodyweight shit and its literally the gayest thread on the board

Grow some fucking balls and lift weights you faggots
>>
>>37764400
But I'm autistic and I don't like the noise
>>
>>37764400
calisthenic parks are awesome when you and your bud don't go to the same gym
>>
DYEL here, looking to do a slow bulk (300 cal surplus) with calisthenics this summer

Will I make any muscle gains at all or just fat? Are calisthenics as much of a meme as /fit/ claims it to be?
>>
File: no-equipment-8-beginner-routine.jpg (179 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
no-equipment-8-beginner-routine.jpg
179 KB, 1366x768
I'm not going to have access to a gym for a few weeks so i want a full body calisthenics workout I can do which doesn't require any equipment (bar etc). Can anybody recommend something? Pic related is all I've found so far
>>
File: Startbodyweight.jpg (2 MB, 2481x6600) Image search: [Google]
Startbodyweight.jpg
2 MB, 2481x6600
>>37764681
If you progress properly, yes, you will gain muscle. Pic related.

>>37764857
Pic related.
>>
>tfw did my first day of a calisthenics routine and followed it with 20 min of cardio like scooby recommends in his home workout routines

After months of SS, I needed this. I don't even need to cut, I need to bulk, but I just feel like I am working my body way harder and the workout feels more balanced. Also, all of this was outside in the middle of the day in Central Texas. I don't think I've ever sweat like that before.

Also for guys who are worried about legs, coming from SS, I thought that it would be easy, I was surprised how hard some of the squat progressions are.
>>
TWENTY MUSCLE UPS
>>
>>37765390
I second that routine. Been doing it for a year and doing great. Really looking forward to getting to work on the harder progressions
>>
>>37763687
5x a week?
Monday pull ups
Tuesday squats and lunges
Wednesday handstand pushups
Thursday l-sit, planks, leg raises, knee raises, crunches
Friday pushups, dips, pseudo planche or planche
>>
Progress to 100 pushups, 20 pullups, 150 dips, 200 squats, 200 lunges, 200 situps/crunches, and a 12 minute plank. Each in a single set
>>
File: 1463005894331.png (704 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
1463005894331.png
704 KB, 720x1280
>>37763880
lul
>>
>>37763765
saying that pushups and diamond pushups are the same exercise is like saying bench press and close grip bench are the same exercise
>>
>>37770211
what do u mean

they are the same exercise

just different grip
>>
>>37764344
Literally grab a heavy dumbbell (or object) with your feet or knees
>>
>>37770267
Reverse grip bench press is the same as bench too right?

Hell ohp is the same as bench, only difference is the angle, silly
>>
>46 posts
>ctrl+f "burpee"
>zero results

Pathetic. They're the only real full body workout.
>>
>>37770753
Yeah burpees are legit. You and incorporate alot of exercises into them.
>>
>>37770776
can*
>>
>>37770776

I mix it up alot. Add in mountain climbers at the bottom, one legged jump, weight vest, etc.

They were really big in prison. The guards would always come harass guys if too many were doing them together.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.