[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/stg/ - Sports Training General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
>lifting for girls
>not lifting so that you can be better at a sport or martial art
ITT: We discuss which sports /fit/izens play and what the best weightlifting and nutritional programs for them are
>>
Why is that guy playing soccer when he could be playing rugby with his physique.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with the juggernaut method or tactical barbell? Looking to get more into rugby and want to know if either of these would be useful.
>>
File: snatch7.jpg (94 KB, 650x325) Image search: [Google]
snatch7.jpg
94 KB, 650x325
This is weightlifting, don't you forget it
>>
>>37748926
Way more money in football. He's on video benching 4 plates though, it does seem like a massive waste that he's playing football.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_xuUlxBP4
>>
I lift because I'm a narcissistic asshole
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5VJafi1cx0
>>
>>37748972
Yeah oly weightlifting's a sport, I've got nothing against it at all but there isn't much discussion on /fit/ regarding sports fitness.
>>
>>37748974
>dogshit form
>spotter lifted it for him

Wtf
>>
>>37748870
Now this is a general I can get behind, especially since/asp/ is just fake wrestling now.

I used to be big into martial arts years ago, moved and became a ham planet. After getting back into shape I took a mma class at my gym and the people there were mirin my striking. I never thought I was that good and thing was I don't think I was. I realized I got into better shape now then when I was doing martial arts before and everything had gotten so much easier stamina, striking strength the only thing that didn't improve was form for obvious reasons.

I'm boxing now and am considered decent, being able to participate in sparring only after less than a month of being at there boxing gym. Forms getting good and body blows hardly phase me unless they hit me right in there center of the chest (the sternum?), Your losing you breath for a second no matter what at that point.

Tl;dr seems obvious but fitness training is just add important as technique.

Also good thread hope to see more generals like these.
>>
Thoughts on having a pastebin or just some stuff in the OP about general training and nutrition advice for different categories of sports like martial arts, contact sports and so on?
>>
Friendly reminder that if you don't play American or Gaelic football or rugby from a young age you're guaranteeing yourself a life as an incel beta.
>>
Cheerleading because chucking women around is immense fun and since they move around we require all around strength instead of only being strong in a few movements https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsJ2vM_U_yo
>>
>>37749261
>American handegg
>Pussy pads
>Beta

Pick 3
>>
>>37749369
Alright just rubgy then but remember Chad plays American football and bangs cheerleaders while you yank gymcels play doom and make counterstrike maps of your high schools
>>
>>37749261
>played American football for one season
>stopped cuz I got scared of the older kids

d-does that count?
>>
>>37749261
Started rugby when I was 20. Best decision of my life.
>>
>>37749475
19 here, I played a bit between 13 and 15 then gave up because I was too skinny and I was addicted to fapping and video games. Now I barely ever do either of those things and I'm pretty built I reckon I'm gonna join my uni's team next year. Quick question, how easy is it to "learn" how to play? How long do you think it'll take for me to get the hang of and be on the same level as everyone else assuming I've forgotten literally everything I know about it?
>>
>>37749529
How big are you, are you faster than you are stronger/big? and what position did you play/are interested in playing? It's not hard to get the basics down, but you'll spend your whole career figuring out the finer shit. I can point you in the right direction if I know what You'll probably be playing.
>>
>>37749529
It will take a year or so to learn your place on the field. I was thrown in the deep end and turned up to practice with literally zero knowledge of the game. Whatever your doubts, join up anyway because it's an amazing experience.
>>
>>37749109
Yeah ok I'd like to see you do that
>>
>>37749665
6'4" 90kg ~15%bf, open to playing in any position that suits my size.
>>
>>37748978
Livin' the dream brah
>>
File: simeon-panda-ex-rugby-player.jpg (125 KB, 714x490) Image search: [Google]
simeon-panda-ex-rugby-player.jpg
125 KB, 714x490
>>37749715
Bumping for a response
>>
been looking for a good soccer fitness program as I play for my uni's club team. I train with them but most of them are pussies who don't lift and I found this pdf from Stanford which looks to be pretty legit.

http://froeberg.com/soccerunited/stanfordfitness.pdf
>>
>>37751553
Similarly here's a rugby pdf I found:
http://www.sarugby.co.za/boksmart/pdf/BokSmart%20-%20Physical%20conditioning%20for%20rugby.pdf
>>
>>37749261
Reminder that if your masculinity is this fragile, you won't get any girls at all
>>
>>37751618
>fragile masculinity
Please stop spreading this cancerous feminist numale meme around, you aren't masculine for crying at romcoms whilst eating boxes of chocolate and drinking wine.
>>
>>37749672
Was it a uni team or a regular one or what?
>>
Play basketball. Really good balance of finesse and roughness. Like all other sports, getting gud takes time as it is a game of skill.
>>
>>37752981
Is basketball training mostly cardio?
>>
>>37752981
this
>>
Road cyclist here. I do lots of pull-ups GHR's and a shit ton of ab work
>>
Soccer
Track and Field, 800m 1600m, shotput, discus.
Wrestling, do open mat once a week with some friends.
Ultimate frisbee + disc golf
Pickup basketball a couple times a week in the summer

First year of university this fall, no idea what sports to try. Is intramural worth doing or should I try to join an actual sports team?
Above average in soccer, not amazing by any means. Average in track + wrestling, won't make uni teams because they excel in wrestling (my weight classes) and track. I did shotput and discus my senior year of HS, I successfully at them.
Disc sports are just a hobby, I will bowl league in the off season of whatever I do.
>>
lightweight rower here. been doing this for about a year now, used to go to the gym but not anymore. Summer recess is coming up and though being on the water in summer is tempting, I'd also like to become stronger (with endurance), so thinking of picking up my gym training again. Squats are definitely good idea, so are cleans. Not really sure what kind of rep range would be ideal, since I can't gain too much mass.
>>
File: resize.jpg (179 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
resize.jpg
179 KB, 612x612
>>37753006
Kind of like soccer in terms of cardio. Need to have long distance endurance (not marathon but decent endurance) and have leg strength to elevate and explode quickly from a stand still. If you really want to get good though, nothing will beat being in the gym and putting up shots. Nothing is more embarrassing than an athlete who shoots like a six year old girl. Also in air body control is important if you drive in a lot.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.