[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First Time In Gym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 275x183
Hey /fit/, I have only worked out at home before and I am going to have access to a gym soon.

I was wondering if there is any kind of "Gym Etiquette" I should be aware of.

Also what is the normal dress code like...

>6'4"
>250lb
>Social Spaghetti Levels 11/10
>>
>Dont be on your phone
>Let people work in with you
>RE-RACK YOUR FUCKING WEIGHTS
>If someone wants to give you advice (and people will do this) just sit there and nod dont be a douche.
>If someone asks for a spot just do it
>>
>>37745154
What does work-in mean? Like alternate sets?
>>
>>37745095
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0WxyKGD7sU
This guy goes over a lot in his videos, don't take him too seriously.
>>
As long as you have some sense of spatial awareness and are considerate enough of when someone is finished with a machine/rack, you'll be alright.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't outright avoid social confrontation, otherwise that's when people are going to think you are either acting pompous or just autistic.
Don't just stand/sit around either, act like it's a job and go in there and get your work in and get out.
>>
>>37745174
If you are using weights or a rack or a machine that someone else wants to use then you could switch off with him. You do a set, take of your weight and let him do his set while you rest. Also, As far as what to wear dont even worry about that. If you give a shit what people think about what you look like in the gym you are lifting for the wrong reasons.
>>
>>37745095
From my experience at MY gym.

Manlets are angry all the time and will try to push around those that are smaller than them.

If someone has been on their phone for more than 5 minutes just ask them how many sets they have left. They tend to move.

If massively introvert, try to make a friend or two for a spot. Also don't be afraid to ask a spot of you aren't too introverted. Injuries suck. Don't be that guy.

If someone gives you advice take or leave it. Just nod and say thank you. Fist bump if nessesary.

Compliment people's gains. They will reciprocate which will boost confidence. Don't force it and don't over it. You will look like an autist or a fag.
>>
>>37745154

use your phone all you want, as long as you dont drag out your sets by turning 60 seconds in between each set to 5 minutes through lengthy instagram sessions.
>>
bring a towel and wipe the sweat from anything you use
>>
>>37745574
Don't listen to this anon, sweat is only a sign of your manliness and ability to lift heavy weights. Any gym goer would be proud to accept your sweat into their pours
>>
>>37745574
A million times this
>>
>>37745205
this about the clothing
basicly just a clean tshirt and "sports shoes and pants"
>>
Just dont wear basketball-shorts and you'll be fine.
Also dont sip too much water between reps
>>
>>37745095
Read the sticky
>>
>>37745574
Literally no one in my goes does this
>>
>>37745154
>>37745272
Wtf fags?

I sit on my phone for 5 minutes for compounds and 2.5 minutes for isolations. Why can't I be on my phone? What else am i suppose to do? Stare at the floor?

I'm timing my rest periods between sets. As soon as timer vibrates I get up. I'm not taking selfies.
>>
Ignore all the advice in this thread and focus on your sets and don't worry about looking stupid

You'll settle in after a few weeks at most.

The only thing worth mentioning is to re-rack your weights and don't be afraid to ask for a spot if you need one.
>>
>>37745095

Always remember to tip the receptionist.
>>
>>37747974
This.
The number of times I've seen regulars just walk on out like it was nothing. Lets just say there water bottles have a little extra water if u know what im saying?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.