[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Training muscular endurance at high intensity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 640x640
So coming off of my novice strength program, i have plenty of strength, but having only trained at the 3-5 rep range, i have ZERO muscular endurance.
On literally all of my lifts, i can drop 20lb off my 6rm, and i will still fail after the sixth set, even coming into the workout fresh.
But my 1-6rms are pretty normal and abide by 1rm calculators...

Clearly my strength endurance is garbage, but i want to start using 6-10 rep ranges to add in more volume without as much intensity, for weekly progression, and lots of progressive overload.

So my question is this: can i "grease the groove" with my heavy lifts? Like if i can 1pl8x5 ohp, should i just rep it 1-2 times, rest like 10-30 minutes, and keep repeating that over the course of the day as many times as possible?

I figure.. It works for pull ups, right? Why not for training strength endurance on other lifts?
I am home gym and work from home, so the timing isnt an inconvenience to me.
>>
>>37732458
>sixth set
Sixth rep*
>>
File: 1464942360200.gif (2 MB, 323x207) Image search: [Google]
1464942360200.gif
2 MB, 323x207
in
>>
>>37732662
...?
Thanks for the bump and the titty...
>>
Are you on creatine?
>>
>>37732714
Nope. Waste of money.
>>
>>37732732
>>37732732

Not in your situation.
>>
>>37732732
Creatine is literally the only supplement that is not a waste of money
>>
>>37732825
the gain is absolutely minimal. stop using for a couple weeks and you won't notice a thing
all supps are a waste of money
>>
>>37732662
Why was this sharking particularly hot
>>
>>37732782
Ehhh last time i tried it, it did precisely jack shit, and i am too poor to waste money on it again.
I would rather just train strength endurance.

Greasing the groove worked well for pull ups, i got from 4 to 12 just from gtg ( then 12 to 24 on 50pullups.com, before i stopped giving a fuck and started doing low rep weighted now i could probably do 17)

Wouldnt the same principle work on a bench or ohp or squat?

I take my 5 or 6 rm, do a double, and rest for a long time, so i am still fresh as fuck, then do a single, and rest another hour, so i am fresh as fuck, then do a double, and rest like 30-60 minutes, then do another single, and keep going, nonstop.
Everyday.
Never approaching failure at all.
Always staying fresh.

Wouldnt this train endurance enough to go from say 10 reps the first day to 12 reps the next, to 13-4 the next, to 14-15the next, etc.

Then i should be able to rep it 8 times, right?
Then i could just do 3x8-10 as planned, right?

Is there anything wrong with this line of thinking?
I eat lots of rare meat (literally over a pound, almost daily) so i have a fair amount of creatine in my diet, probably nearing on 5g
>>
>>37732825
enjoy the early baldness
>>
>>37732832
Stop eating vegetables for a couple weeks and you won't notice a thing either doesn't mean it's not good for you, faggot
>>
>>37732856
That is only if you are genetically inferior scum that produces dihydrotestosterone
>>
>>37732848

It's so cheap. All you need is the cheapest creatine monohydrate. I just bought a 2000 gram tub for 25 dollars and this is gonna last me all year.

And high volume for endurance is the worst meme ever. The real way to get endurance is by becoming stronger.

In your situation, creatine would really help since this is literally your goal.
>>
>>37732860
Listen man, i am not looking to buy supps, only change my training approach.

I am asking if there is a fundamental flaw in this approach to developing endurance, rather than lowering weight, not which placebos i need to add to my life
>>
File: image.png (42 KB, 1008x1008) Image search: [Google]
image.png
42 KB, 1008x1008
>>37732887
I have gotten tons of strength.

My strength endurance is shit. (E.g. I can strict press 145x3 or 135x5 super clean strict, easy. I cant rep 95 more than 7 times)

You cant build strength endurance, without training strength endurance.

Lifting really heavy weights a few reps, trains you to lift really heavy weights for a few reps, unsurprisingly
>>
File: 1460056154319.jpg (394 KB, 650x969) Image search: [Google]
1460056154319.jpg
394 KB, 650x969
>>37732838
Fit chick?
>>
>>37732888
But placebos have been shown to work. Just get some and youll see your gains explode
>>
I just wanted advice, not creatine shills :(
>>
>>37732923
Nah.

I feel these two points bear re-iteration
>i already tried creatine and it did jack shit
>i get a lot of creatine in my diet, probably not far off from 5g
>>
>>37732908

Yes but imagine you can strict press 225 for 3. 135 is going to feel like an empty bar because your muscles are just so conditioned and streamlined to work with more weight.
>>
>>37733007

Strength and endurance are concomitant.

Endurance alone is a waste of time.
>>
>>37733007
Nigger my 8rm is supposed to be 120 and i cant get 95 for 8

There is a problem with endurance.
Dont be a silly faggot
>>
>>37733102
Oh shit 125, not 120

Even worse than i thought.
>>
>>37733102
>Nigger my 8rm is supposed to be 120 and i cant get 95 for 8

According to what? You cant take those calculators seriously. Your 8RM is your 8RM because thats what it is. Who knows what kind of rest you had, what kind of energy you have, what type of muscle fibers you have.

Some people are good at reps, some are good at maxing out all the time, it varies a lot.

Youre not lifting anything extraordinary yet so you shouldn't really worry about your reps. If you do your just gonna fall into a loop of no gains. Just keep working on strength. theres a reason people who can squat 3 plate can probably do 1 plate for 40+ reps.

The people who focus on squatting 1 plate for 40 reps in a set though...they definitely CAN NOT squat more than 2.5 plate.
>>
>>37733007
>tfw deadlift just under 4pl8
>45lb pl8s still feel heavy
When are things supposed to start feeling weightless?
>>
>>37733166

When you get a good arm pump? Holding the 45s is more about arm and grip strength. The deadlift is a whole different beast.

Just do like 3x10 rope pulldowns and 2 sets of 21's and then pickup a 45 plate.
>>
>>37733165
Holy nigger fuck, i am not trying to do 50 rep bullshit.

I am aiming working well above the intensity threshhold for metabolic damage, and adapptive strength response. And in a recommended area for intermediate lifters on a volume day
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8v6frDJHc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nun-vSQV6wU
Plus let us not forget i am talking about working with my fucking 5rm weight.

So.. What the fuck is your complaint?
I am not trying to do 50 rep babyweight, i am trying to do as many reps of my 5rm as possible, to bump up my 8rm

Also, did you not read the OP?

I can take 20lb less than my 6rm, walk into the gym fresh and strong as fuck warm up, and fail at 6 on 20lb less than my 6rm.

Then add 20lb and rep it out super easy easy easy, like the failure at 6rm was a warm up.

Obviously endurance is a problem.

And that is on ohp.

On bench it is probably closer to 30lb.

On squat probably even more. Idgaf about my legs, i kinda t rexed a bit
>>
>>37733283

Have you tried using creatine? You should try that out. Thats exactly what it will help with.
>>
>>37733317
>>37732941
>>
>>37733328

Try it again.
>>
>>37733336
Can literally anybody but you please chime in?

Preferably someone familiar with GTG?
>>
>>37733336
Post body, mark rippetoe creatine shill.

Who is trying to give me advice?
I smell DYEL
>>
>>37732662
anyone have sauce on this?
>>
>>37732860
You're starting to sound like a GNC sales rep
>>
>>37732458
I have a similar problem. I got to 42kgX3 on weighted pullups (84kg bw), but could hardly do 20 pullups in a row.
working on scoobies pull ups program now, it's mostly 5 sets of 10+ reps.
and let me tell you, making strong, dense muscle have to grow vascular tissue (which is practically what you are going to do) is annoying as fuck. It's more painful, more straining, and you can feel the soreness for at least two days after a session.
I don't know anything about greasing the groove so I can't help you there, just giving you a heads up. prepare for shit.
>>
File: 280.jpg (60 KB, 476x687) Image search: [Google]
280.jpg
60 KB, 476x687
>>37732458
>fixed parallel bar dips
>not rings
lmao enjoy no stabilizing gains
>>
>>37732825
this
>>
>>37732458

I'm not sure this will work, and you may injure yourself without warming up when you start working with really heavy weight.

It sounds like what you're after is muscle tone - not the PT buzzword but the amount of electrical activity that is running through the muscle tissue at rest. It's what 'old man strength' is.

The best way to increase muscle tone is through conditioning and endurance training - lighter weight, more reps.
>>
Start doing more low weight high reps same zhing happenef to me with squats. Could do 5 reps 3 plate but I would feel exhauszed every time I passed fifth rep even if it was only 1 plate squat
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.