[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best PPL routine floating around the Internet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1430059319903.jpg (173 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
1430059319903.jpg
173 KB, 1440x2392
What is the best PPL routine floating around the Internet?
Is the leddit routine, with some modifications, just a meme?
https://m.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

Is Coolcicadas the shit?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833

What does /fit/ think?
>>
>>37730453
>[the reddit routine is] an accessible program for beginners
>Coolcicada's P/P/L is a intermediate routine
>>
>>37730453

Coolciwhoever's has way too much shit in it.

The reddit one is decent as far as a PPL goes, if you chuck in some ab work. But if you're lifting 6 days a week it's best if you've lifted for more than a few months else your body will find it rough.

It will also be easier if you're bulking and making sure to sleep lots. Doing all that on a cut will wear you out.
>>
>>37730482
I realize that; I was being retarded and realized they were each meant for a different level so it's not exactly a fair comparison. I'm curious about what the consensus on these routines is. Is Reddit one actually good? I, personally, would make some modifications to it such as the retarded 5x15-20 face pulls and taking out the lateral raise superset. I also think weighted dips should be in there.
>>
File: Coolcicada progress.jpg (223 KB, 827x971) Image search: [Google]
Coolcicada progress.jpg
223 KB, 827x971
I personally ran Coolcicada for around 8 Months (Pic related, my coolcicada progress).
You'll make amazing gains if you eat properly.

I'd run it again/nonstop if I was willing to eat at a surplus high enough to lift 6 days a week again. By the end, I was getting injured every 2-3 weeks, the last two months (not shown) of the program I actually lost a little gains because I was constantly rehabbing. Benching 195lbs for 3x5 twice a week on a 300cal surplus was way different than 245lbs.

I'm not willing to go above a very mild surplus, so I jumped to a U/L split (JDavis Fierce 5). The gains are slightly slower, but I haven't been hurt since, I still make progress, and I can stay lean. Have to choose your priorities :).
>>
>>37730551
Natty? I hate to be that guy.
But nice progress.
What do you mean benching 195 was different than 245? Was that a result of your injuries?
>>
>>37730606
Yeah natty, just really focused on my nutrition as well as the programming...like I never had a cheat day, ate the same meals, etc. I also was an athlete in high school, so I had a decent background.
To be honest, I really clamped down on my diet about the same time as starting Coolcicada, so that honestly is probably where most of the gains came from. Any program you end up running is only as good as the diet powering it.

>What do you mean benching 195 was different than 245
Benching 3x5 of 245lbs (at the end) is harder for the body to recover from than benching 195lbs 3x5 (at the start). I was only eating around 3100 Cals per day, roughly 300 over maint, so I wasn't having maximum recovery. Combine this with weighted Chins in place of Pulldown, and Heavy squats... By the end, lifting so much, so often, on such a mild surplus, just meant I'd strain something pretty much every week.

If you're just coming off a beginner routine, and you're not trying to cut, I'd 100% recommend coolcicada (except sub in chinups for the pulldowns). Just make sure to eat and sleep :D.
>>
its this simple
use rep schemes like 5x5, 3x10, 4x8 etc
Pull:
>deadlift variation (normal, partial, snatch grip, sumo, one handed, anything off the floor)
>row variation
>vertical pull variation
>curl variation

push
>bench variation (incline, flat, dumbbell)
>ohp variation (behind the neck, dumbbell are good if bench is pushed hard)
>dips or close grip bench
>tricep isolation

Legs:
>squat variation
>rdls
>lunge variation or leg presses
>calves
>>
>>37730453
Do PPLxPPLx

The specific exercises don't matter as long as you hit every muscle
>>
>>37730551
Looking great bro. Nice gains. Keep it up! Just started PPL myself
>>
>>37730680
I'm coming from a similar background: clean diet, athlete throughout my life, except I've been running for a little over 12 years, so my legs and knees are a bit whack with some injuries and weaker leg muscles.
Did you use linear progression still? Coolcicada says somewhere in the thread about adding 5 lb once a week to each main lift, or every other workout.

If that's what he suggests, then what makes the Reddit routine a beginner one and Coolcicada's an intermediate routine?

Also, did you throw in deadlifts or just leave them out?

>>37730809
I'm thinking about doing that so I can deadlift and squat with no issues, but I like to have consistency in my workout schedule since I can't lift on Sundays due to conflicting work schedule and gym hours.
>>
>>37730551
I'm currently running KS98's PPL, which is a variant of coolcicada's (DL included). I just hope I can break my 2pl8 squat plateau with it
>>
File: FullProgresss17MonthReg.jpg (796 KB, 2484x978) Image search: [Google]
FullProgresss17MonthReg.jpg
796 KB, 2484x978
>>37730851
You can see how much the gains have slowed since I hopped off PPL, but I never wanted to stop being lean, it was SO hard to cut down. Natty life= you have to choose =/.

>>37730893
What separates beginner and intermediate is amount of volume, and how fast the weight increases. Beginners can add more weight with less volume, where as intermediate takes more volume with slower weight increases. When I ran coolcicada, I jumped up 5lbs per week, and I kept at it for quite some time, adding when I could. By the end it was a 3x5->5x5, then up the weight by 5 lbs and back to 3x5, but still somewhat linear.

I try to use somewhat of linear progression, just very slowly. I run the Fierce 5 U/L now, but slightly modified. I never had success with his 3x5=>3x6, up the weight, 3x5. The six reps was far more difficult than adding 5lbs. I had a lot of success adding in the 5x5 week from coolcicada, so I kept that idea in this U/L, and now do a 3x5 week, then 4x5 week, then 5x5 week. I do that with the initial "big" lifts, Bench, OHP, Chinup, and Squat. It's slow, but steady, and It doesn't cost me my abs.
I'll be the first to admit, I lift for girls, and nothing demotivates me faster and makes me want to stop lifting than bulking and losing definition. I could make better overall practice if I stayed with a pure bulk/cut routine, but I'm not sure I'd lift as hard, diet as cleanly, or even continue lifting, when my training style was actively working against my goals (being lean/jacked).

I stopped deadlifting, it was just too much intensity. I found it took me too long to recover from, and I never noticed any real gains from deadlifting that Squats did not provide. Some people love them, some hate them, but after I hurt my back, it was wasn't worth the risk. If you like them and can recover from them, definitely try that variation.
>>
>>37730491

way too much shit how?
>>
why does coolcicadas have shrugs on push?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.