[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people do deadlifts and squats when one wrong move could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: spine.jpg (290 KB, 1500x784) Image search: [Google]
spine.jpg
290 KB, 1500x784
why do people do deadlifts and squats when one wrong move could fuck up your spine for life?

why risk it for short term gains?
>>
why do you drive a car when one wrong move could fuck up your life for life?
>>
"short term gains"

>only ever did squats and deads for leg work
>have gone 6 years without lifting
>legs are still swole and hard as hell.
>girls like it, even gays are mirin'
>>
Why breathe air if you know it's the last thing you're gonna do before you die?
>>
>>37693863
proper form you cuck. Don't fucking lift more than you can't handle.
>>
>>37693890
because life can be fucking impossible to live without a car

you don't need to do deadlifts and squats jackass
>>
>>37693863
>when one wrong move could fuck up your spine for life?

Which wrong move?

Bench is much more dangerous, Squats and Deadlifts are very safe. If you can't handle the weight, just dump it.
>>
>>37693863
I knew someone who did deadlifts once. 10 years later, BAM! herpes.
>>
>>37693913
THERE IS NO REASON

TO BE ALIVE

IF YOU CAN'T DO DEADlift;_;
>>
>>37693897
>only ever did squats and deads for leg work
>have gone 2 years without lifting
>legs went back to shrimp chiken mode

Genetics.
>>
>>37693863
>bend for whatever reason
>get up
>back feels sore/exhausted as fuck

I've only been lifting for 2 years ;_;
Did I just fuck up my back?
>>
>>37693914
bench more dangerous? side roll that shit. stalling on a bottomed-out squat is fucking scary.
>>
>>37693991
>benching
>bar as high as possible
>something goes wrong, muscle cramp, you snap your shit, anything
>fucking 140kg drops on your neck and you die instantly

vs squat

>you fall
>the weight hits the side protector whatever the fucks they are
>no harm experienced
>>
>>37693975
yes

see how easy it is to fuck your shit up?

stick to exercises that give you more room for error, it's not worth it
>>
>>37693913
Lol, where do you live that your public transport is so shit you have to depend on a car and neglect yourself from looking at all the qt3.14 at the train?
>>
>>37693991
>bench more dangerous?

Bench press is infinitely more dangerous than squat or deadlift though.

>Bench anywhere near your max
>Drop bar/arm gives out/whatever
>Gg broken rips

>Fail deadlift
>Just drop the bar onto the floor
>>
>>37694010
You can just go to a gym that also has safeties for benching you know?
Injury in squats/dl is not about failing the rep, it's about bad form because you got distracted. Disk hernias are incredibly common.
>>
>>37694047
>it's about bad form because you got distracted
The fucking retard that gets distracted on a squat or deadlift deserves to fuck his shit up for being stupid as fuck
>>
File: 1394214772397.jpg (21 KB, 441x342) Image search: [Google]
1394214772397.jpg
21 KB, 441x342
>>37694080
>you're not doing a perfect form every time
>you deserve a lifelong damaged spine now

the exercise isn't even fucking worth doing if it's that easy to fuck yourself up on
>>
>>37693863
Why did OP feel the need to make this stupid thread when he could just be in his comfy safe space gym with only machines and a lank alarm?

Maybe because OP never lifted anything other than a pizza his whole life and is bored in a Saturday night? I'll let you be the judge of that.
>>
File: ivan.jpg (155 KB, 780x911) Image search: [Google]
ivan.jpg
155 KB, 780x911
>>37694080
>Thinking it actually works like this
>>
>>37694047
>>37694094
HOW???

How do you fuck up your squat/deadlift?

Unless you go obscenely heavy because you're a powerlifter or trying your ego one rep max there's no way.

Just work in a reasonable weight you can handle and use safeties.
>>
>>37693863

>why do people do deadlifts and squats when one wrong move could fuck up your spine for life?

1.) You are GREATLY overestimating the rate of injuries from minor form deficiencies. Unless you're the retard that tries entirely too much weight the first time they do a lift, you are not likely to hurt yourself.
2.) I play rugby. Having a strong squat is IMMENSELY helpful. And rugby is SO much more likely to injure me anyway
>>
>>37694038
You should bench with pins set about 1 inch below chest level. I dropped 285 once and mildly bruised my chest but the pins protected me.
>>
WERE FREAKS WE DONT CARE ABOUT INJURIES
>>
It's fun to get BTFO by squats and deadlifts and then graudually master them as time goes on. I actually have a weak wrist as the result of a shattered schaphoid.(My right hand is kind of like a claw) so it's extra challenging to do deadlift for me because it starts slipping out of my hands and my right side of my back would hurt like crazy!

It was really scary for me and I was wondering if I should just give up entirely.

What I did instead was go back to basics. Starting with the bar, i made sure to place extra attention on form and also did grip exercises to strengthen my forearm. Slowly but surely I'm catching up. I just did 235 today but considering I had trouble with 1 plate just two month ago, I think this is respectable. I expect to be at 3 plate by two months.
>>
ITT: deadlifts are totally safe guys!

please see the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp-c-Dr8vuU
>>
File: 1466738876927.png (164 KB, 984x722) Image search: [Google]
1466738876927.png
164 KB, 984x722
>>37693937
Muh diddles
>>
>>37694161
>deadlifts are totally safe guys!
>nothing ever goes wrong!
>>
>>37694161
that form...

Also he's clearly using too much weight.

I add 5 lbs everytime I can cleanly deadlift 5 reps of the weight. So the fact that I added 5 reps from my previous 5 rep max is not going to destroy my body in any way.
>>
People get chronic injuries from unnoticed problems with deadlifting and squatting form. There is a myth that if you don't feel pain, you're using proper form. 20 years of occupational safety research on the spine shows that this simply isn't the case.
Lumbar damage is cumulative and acute injuries are just signs of underlying damage.

There are many lifters whose proportions and hip socket depth mean that they should deadlift from blocks or front squat rather than back squat.
>>
>>37694161
looked very serious dude probably died the day after

>should be fine in couple of weeks
ah shit
>>
>>37694161
>safe pt. 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnqggNm7g0Q
>>
>>37694109
Yo go do your stuff, do it as usual, then hear a snap on your back and get inmense pain.
You don't even know what went wrong.
When you ask on /fit/ you get memed about snap city.
That's how it is, if you want to live in denial and think this can't be like this or that it will never happen to you, it's your call.
>>
>>37693890
So you can get to your destination much faster
>>
>>37694239
>You go do your stuff, do it as usual, then hear a snap on your back and get inmense pain.

How... Man that doesn't just happen out of nowhere

Explain to me why Powerlifters on youtube can hoist enormous amounts of weight with no problem for 1-3 rep maxes, and fail lifts and STILL be able to lift?

EXplain why Pete Rubish and Eric Bunganhagen can lift like maniacs and are still capable of training many years later?
>>
>>37694228
That looks more like tissue failure rather than form problems.
Deadlift is forgiving in that regard, at least. Tear a hamstring or spinal erector during a deadlift and you just drop the weight. A torn quad at the bottom of a back squat without any safety pins is a scenario where you can break bones or have the bar roll backwards and snap your arms.
>>
>ITT: Squats are totally safe guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3WkV8C93I
>>
>>37694178
I had pins and needles once after deadlift. I did something similar I was out of breath and tried a heavy deadlift without breath. Now I just make sure to not rush it and take 10-12 seconds between a deadlift rep if I need that.

If you want to prevent tissue damage you shouldn't really do more than 5rm's on deadlifts, even if you fail your erectors can likely take the abuse instead of your spine if you're more advanced in your training. You screw up hips a lot faster.

Squats and bench are more unsafe. Because with squats a slight movement in the knee or back or wherever can seriously screw you up. Bench because it is so straining on the shoulders. Without spotter insanely unsafe, the pins are not very reliant you never get them where you want (either too high or too low). Meniscus injury was the worst I had and I walked with it for 2 years. I didn't progress and eventually lost a huge amount of weight mostly in my legs. Couldn't bench couldn't squat, could only overhead press.
>>
>>37694290
>Goes for a one rep max

This is why he went wrong you stupid fuck

Just do like 4x15 squats and roid, i don't think you'll have a problem
>>
>>37694030
>what are suburbs
>>
> fuck up my lower back deadlifting
> take months and months off of the gym
> the smallest amount of lower back exertion makes the pain come back
> 8 months later and my lower back still isn't the same

is it really permanent?
>>
>>37694290
>that fucking buttwink on every single rep
>probably has been going on for years
yeah no shit he'll end up destroying himself
>>
>>37694257
Ronnie Coleman did bodybuilding PL style and look at him. He can barely walk. Many of these lifters are using a shit ton of advil and injections to motor on. Also, a lot of injuries occur with no warning because they simply occur due to how your genes attached muscles to tendons.
>>
>>37694305
Time to talk to a sports med doc or PT.
>>
Why are you people even replying to this thread? The OP and the dude who keeps shitposting probably never went to a gym in his life. A million fucking people deadlift every day, some idiots get hurt every now and then, so what? It literally happens in every sport/physical activity.

Hell it happens in everything in life, to this day people get ran over because they are looking at their phones while crossing the street. Lemme tell you a secret that will blow your mind OP, nothing is idiot proof. People will get fucked up just by being alive if they are stupid enough.
>>
>>37694305
Sounds like you need to stretch
>>
>>37694257
Nobody said you can't lift with a herniated disk.
Nobody said you can injure youself and then go back to lifting anyways.
If they disclose their injuries or not is their own business. Most injuries happen during regular workouts, not during filming.
So I don't get your question.
>>
>>37694350
>Nobody said you can't lift with a herniated disk.
>Nobody said you can injure youself and then go back to lifting anyways.

I'm asking how people can lift for 5+ years, lift 3x as much as the average gym goer will ever lift, have bad form from trying to force one rep maxes and still push on.

YET, you think that if I squat 315 for 10 reps my spine will suddenly snap and break one day.
>>
>>37694290
>500lbs with shit form

Yeah if you suck at squatting and don't use safety equipment you're going to fuck your shit up eventually.
>>
>>37694338
/Thread
>>
>>37694364
They are literally on HGH and HGH massively increases the speed of tissue repair time.
>>
>>37694410
>HGH massively increases the speed of tissue repair time.

Why am I not on HGH?

Is there any reason not to take it besides expensive as fuck?
>>
Actually i do good mornings too which could REALLY fuck up your spine lol

Just makes me concentrate harder

I've already broken my spine once anyway and not from lifting, gotta make that shit stronger

Btw any lift could fuck you up if done wrong, may as well stay out of the gym amirite
>>
>>37693863
why do girls when you can fuck me up the anus for life?
>>
>>37694364
I don't "think", I know for a fact.
Call me in 20 years young sapling.
>>
>>37694416
You should ask /fraud/. naturally high HGH in old people is associated with increased cancer. That could just be a coincidence, or it could be that increasing growth increases cancer rates.
>>
>>37694443
how about i call you now on your bullshit!
you talk like you sport a Phd, well guess what buster! I sport a PHD (pretty huge dick) and if you are going to act all big and tough, why don't you come over and jerk me off! look me in the eyes while you are at it.
>>
>>37694475
But you're already jerked.
>>
>>37694416
>Is there any reason not to take it besides expensive as fuck?

you will get a nasty looking gut baka senpai, take test instead.
>>
>>37694338
you just argued their point that doing squats is stupid
>>
So what are the safer alternatives that train the same muscle groups?
>>
>>37694490
i mean deadlifts
>>
>>37694493
Leg press and leg curl, glute press, abductor/adductor machine, bb rows, aome gyms have low back machines

Boring
>>
>>37693863
these movements are good for your back and overall posture. "one wrong move" doesn't fuck up your spine; continuously doing the movement with bad form and heavy weights on the long run will.
>>
>>37693924
I feel like you are describing me
>>
>>37694482
think you're smart all the sudden?!? cum on my face and call me Susane! I dare ya! im not afraid.
gimme those proteins, gotta hit my macros like your dad does your mom after a bender with the boys!
come on over and show yourself! whisper sweet nuthings in my ear motherfucker. i aint afraid of no dick! i eat dicks for breakfast! dicks for days!
>>
>Bench press is totally safe guys!

https://youtu.be/NHoKk-kjq8I?t=330
>>
>>37694482
yeah that's what i thought! i bet you kiss girls.....faggot
>>
>>37694536
Well, his spotter did his job. And with that weight, he could probably rest it on his chest.
Muscle tears are annoying and forever weaken the muscle by a few percentage points.
It's not the same as a fucked up lumbar disk from a failed back squat. In belgium, you can get assisted suicide for low back pain.
>>
>>37694536
That's it I'm switching to bodyweight only
>>
File: 1451637760604.jpg (61 KB, 580x775) Image search: [Google]
1451637760604.jpg
61 KB, 580x775
>>37693863
>get shoulder injury
>take 1 month off lifting and diddlies
>get lower back pain because no diddly
What gives?
>>
>>37694622
ask you dad to fuck you in cowgirl style. doggy clearly is fucking up your back
>>
>>37694536
Part comes around 5:30
>>
>>37694328
That has more do to with all the weight he is carrying around. His joints are fucked up, my man
>>
>>37694416
Increases the size of everything except your eyes and brain. Bigger heart, bigger gut, bigger muscles, bigger bones
>>
>>37694297
Yeah i always kinda resetmy body between dl reps even on light sets
>>
>>37693863
>I'm a fat weak lazy piece of crap who looks for any excuse to avoid working hard
>>
>>37695166
not sure about OP and don't care. But i've being seeing more of these people. Fat and saying exercising is too hard. Heavy breathing and dick attitude.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.