[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knowing what you know now would you have started working out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 640x803) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 640x803
Knowing what you know now would you have started working out at a younger age?
>>
Nah. I delayed it as much as possible because I hate it. I only started because it was necessary, the aesthetics are just a bonus.
>>
>>37679891
Don't fucking remind me.

26 and that kid looks better than me. Not by much. But still better.
>>
I think middle school was the right time to start lifting, for me. Would have done sports in elementary school though, and actually listened to my weights coach all of school instead of half-assing it.
>>
>>37679891
>started at 10

lol
>>
>>37679891

Every day I regret my teenage years. I wish I could go back in time and slap my retarded, teenage self, and throw his WoW-obsessed ass into a gym and not let him leave til he does some fucking squatz.

But I can't, so I'm stuck living with my mistakes.
>>
>>37679955
I had a regretable past but i can tell myself that i have no ragrets, get some mental gains
>>
File: gymnast.jpg (94 KB, 600x485) Image search: [Google]
gymnast.jpg
94 KB, 600x485
>>37679891
wouldn't start going to the gym before 16 - 18. Let your body grow.

look at the gymnasts that trained since their childhood.
>>
>>37679987

I wouldn't necessarily say I regret it. After all, it's made me who I am today. I just wish I wasn't such a sedentary fuck in my younger years.
>>
I still don't fucking know.

On the one hand, science hasn't really reached a definitive conclusion on the whole growth plates thing. I'm 6'1, so maybe starting lifting earlier (I startet 1 week before my 19th birthday) would have made me a manlet. I don't know.

On the other hand though, just imagine being aesthetic af in middle and high school. God damn...
>>
>>37679988
>Not knowing that tall gymnasts don't usually make it to olympics.
>>
>>37679955
This

I wasted my teenage years in my basement playing vidya, thinking I couldn't change anything anyway, that being /fit/ was a pipe dream and that I'd always be an ugly out of shape loser.

Well, now that I proved myself wrong I can't help but think what if I acted sooner, I could of had the time of my life in high school. At least it's not all bad, I'm only 20 so I still have plenty years of youthfulness left to enjoy. I guess you gotta focus on what's ahead of you, not what could of been behind
>>
No, I started lifting when I was 14 for football. Being cast as a lineman fucked me up though. If I could I would have told myself to be a linebacker or something other lineman I wasn't even fat then, just had a big growth spurt
>>
>>37679891
believe it or not, I looked like that when I was a kid
>>
>>37680055
Post pics
>>
I would have done lots of calisthenics when I was younger. Just be really lean and have somewhat of a muscle base.
>>
>>37679987
If you believe you have a "regretable past" but tell yourself that you have no regrets, then you're doing nothing except lying to yourself. You shouldn't just adopt popular philosophy because everyone seems to believe it. The idea of having no regrets is a pretty stupid one, anyway, if you ask me
>>
No regrets I'm 6' 0.75". I took weightlifting my sophomore year, luckily my teacher didnt care for squats and deadlifts. Just combine stats and bench max.

This guy I knew when I was 10 years old turned out to be 5'10", it's because he was lifting since 13 years old. Literally every meathead in high school at least 90% who benched 300+ were not even 5'10".

I feel like people shouldn't play football or wrestling, that's a lot of fucking pressure growing up. amirite on this? Playing sports is fine because you gain muscle and dynamic stretch while playing but shit like football is something my son won't play
>>
>>37680038
>>I'm 20

How I envy you I'm 27 I don't even know if it matters anymore for me to start getting fit.
>>
>>37680038
Its good to recognize previous mistakes and not repeat them going forward, living in the moment is most important tho
>>
>>37680132
yeah, plus all that concussion shit

my son is gonna play baseball and/or basketball tbqh
>>
During my teenage years I didn't train, I had few friends, I didn't play video games and I have never watched an anime in my life. I just don't know how I wasted those years.
PS: gave my first kiss at 19
PS2: have been called a fucking weirdo by girls during High School.
>>
I started when I was around 16 - 17 so what I really wish was that I didn't take an off period from age 24 - 28. Should have stayed with it but ot all turned into some awful mental chore that I hated.
>>
>>37680077
>>37680055
Its dubs, we always believe dubs
>>
Lifting before 18 stunts growth?
Fuck...that explains it
>>
>>37679955

WoW as a teenager was glorious, especially if you played during vanilla. Don't kid yourself, you'd got back if you could
>>
>>37680929

I don't regret the fact that I played WoW. I played as far back as vanilla launch, and it was amazing for what it was.

I just hate the fact that it was literally the only thing I cared about. It wouldn't be incorrect to say it defined my life (at the time).
>>
>>37679988
wasnt there a study that showed that lifting with good form was the safest possible form of exercise to do? playing sports has a higher chance of limiting your growth
>>
File: noexit.gif (410 KB, 221x196) Image search: [Google]
noexit.gif
410 KB, 221x196
>>37680260
I'm 35. It's never to late.
right? Right, guys...?
>>
>>37680588
No, it doesn't. You were always meant to be a manlet. Blame your parents for shitty DNA.
>>
Hey Anons, help me please, I'm a 15 year old and I'm going to start lifting soon, any advice?
>>
>>37680132
> This guy I knew when I was 10 years old turned out to be 5'10", it's because he was lifting since 13 years old. Literally every meathead in high school at least 90% who benched 300+ were not even 5'10".

Literally anecodtes lol. I know plenty of guys that lifted heavy from a young age and grew to 6'1-6'2. One guy ended up 6'5 and he was doing hard physical labour since he was a kid because his dad was a stone mason.

The only way you'd limit growth lifting weights is if you fuck up your back due to bad form. But even then, there's tons of kids that ego lift and still end up at their predicted height.
>>
>>37681055
Lift with your back instead of your legs
>>
>>37681172
Thanks, I'll definitely do that
>>
lifting at a younger age would stunt my growth

I wouldve told younger me to

>eat better
>eat more
>run every day
>do calisthenics every day
>take sports seriously (good workouts)
>>
>>37679891

Nope.

Any hard weight prior to 16 can stunt the bone growth.

I started at 18, and wouldn't do it any different.
>>
>>37681208
Lifting at a younger age doesn't stunt growth
>>
>>37679988

jeez look at that frame, you can tell he would have been taller without the constant force impacts of gymnastics.
>>
>>37681215

Lifting heavy ass weight on the reg does.
>>
>>37679891
I would concentrate on eating healthy and frequently, while working on running both sprinting and long distance with mostly body weight exercises untill I was in highschool then go hard with the weights
>>
>>37681215
it compresses your spine

I want to believe you anon
>>
i wish i started eating right so that i could start lean and thin at 18. i went to go from fatass to Auschwitz softy to enjoy not being fat, then i realized i should really start lifting and getting size. oh well.
>>
>>37681231
True, but I don't know if a lot of kids lift heavy

I started at 14, with 10 pound dumbbells and worked my way up
>>
>>37679955
Same thing with me but I wasted them plating BF3, god I loved thst game too much ;_;

No going back though only forwards so no regrets r-right babes?
>>
>>37679891
ditching swimming at 13 was bad

after that I wasted my first year in the gym, doing that dumb ass split was basically useless

but the biggest mistake was having a shit diet for 20 years, so I never had a chance
getting fat makes your life a living hell
>>
>Age 10
>Convince my parents I want to start weightlifting (actual weightlifting)
>Get a coach
>Have perfect form day 1
>Olympic champion, bring USA back into the light
>>
>>37680377
If he goes to a highschool where they have a decent tennis program, make him do that. Tennis player aesthetics=best aesthetics
>>
>not knowing that China recruits kids at the age of 4.
>>
>>37681231
No it doesn't.
Only if you fuck up with form.
>>
>>37679891
If I knew what i know now, I wouldn't have started working out until at least 18 so that I could've fucking grown taller. But then again I didn't even care about height until recently because of this board.
>>
>>37681354
Heavy ass weights put stress on your bones regardless of form retard. Your bones might become thicker because of it but they won't grow as long.
>>
>>37681466
>Your bones might become thicker because of it but they won't grow as long.

Interesting. Not him, but that has me wondering..

If you anons had to choose, would you rather be short with a proportionate thick frame, or tall with a frail frame?
>>
>>37681494
An hero in both cases
>>
>>37679988
I thought that was Taron Egerton for a second.
>>
>>37679891
10000000%
Would have started in 6th grade, to be a sick cunt in high school
>>
File: 97584373763.jpg (47 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
97584373763.jpg
47 KB, 1000x625
>>37681058
>The only way you'd limit growth lifting weights is if you fuck up your back due to bad form.

lol no. Even good form on squats still leads to spinal decompression. It's why you should foam role your back as best you can after squats.
>>
>>37679988

Wow haha.

I mean at this point in his life he might as well dress up like a hobbit and drink and dance all the time to make people laugh.
>>
>when people act like really young men aren't as hot as older men
>then you see this picture

jesus christ
>>
No, I didn't have the money to lift before I started lifting.
>>
File: 1464761495239.jpg (31 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
1464761495239.jpg
31 KB, 500x367
Yo is anyone going through this shit right now, lemme explain
>skinny fuck in highschool
>unoticeable, no one even knows i'm in class somedays
>literally go through school as a stranger with no name
>college is the same
>get good job with loadsofmoney and start buying and eating my own food (bought a fucking fridge with first paycheck) and lifting like a motherfucker starting at 25
>fast foward 5 years
>30 years old and now i look like a fucking jock/chad
>i feel weird/lonely/pissed off that i didn't have this body back in school
>could've been basking in attention and having people notice me left and right

What is this feeling /fit/?
Ok look, normally a guy goes through highschool with a rock solid body, right? And this is normal I think, but what about the opposite?

What if you don't have that rock solid body until you're in you late 20's early 30's? Is that normal? How does that affect you any differently than if you had a good body in grade school?

Tell you the truth, to describe what i'm feeling and saying about this, it's like i missed the morning train and the afternoon train, and now i gotta hop on the night train to go somewhere, like i really late to a party and by the time i get there everything isn't as partyful as it was early, you know what i mean, right? Please respond.
>>
>>37683339
that's life, yes it's unfair, but so is not being smart enough and putting stocks in apple when u were 8 years old.

besides, everyone at your age looks like shit, all the women peaked already at 23-25

just enjoy it bro.
>>
>>37683339
I feel for you bro. I was drowning in puss in highschool/college with my shitty ottermode body back then. 25 now but i'm tempted to leave my long term relationship to go back to that.
>>
>>37681023
dude I'd rather live as a fit 40-year old than as a skinnyfat/fat 40-year old, so no it's not too late
>>
I started at 14 but bro split for 4 years.
I wish I did as and slbfor a year
>>
>>37681257
What is heavy lifting as a fucking kid? 25, 30lbs?
>>
Started at 13 so I'm good. Muscle memory is a crazy thing for me I can have a 6 month break go gym for 2 months and I get accused of roiding even though I'm life time natty. It's like my body knows what's up and just transforms back rapidly.
>>
File: CkyJMvJXAAAO_CE.jpg (56 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
CkyJMvJXAAAO_CE.jpg
56 KB, 640x1136
>>37679891
I started at 12 and have Aspergers so I took it very seriously.

It really isn't that cool. You're not an adult yet so you can't really choose your foods which was a huge pain in my ass and I was always butt blasted if my parents didn't buy what I told them I needed. You can't really get a gym membership without your parents driving you and such and they won't bother doing it. You're not having sex with any girls, just having those awkward "we talked on AIM today and we're going to hug for 3 seconds tomorrow" relationships that I always thought were really lame.

Seriously, the only time I EVER got compliments was when we had those presidential gym test things and I would always get the school pushup/pullup/sprint records and such all throughout middle school and high school, and all of the girls would touch my arms and shit while they were all fuarking pumped up and they were definitely wet, and the guys would always say shit like "don't mess with Anon, man, he's super strong he'll fuck you up". one of the girls that complimented me all of the time was actually fucking adorable.

the only other time was when we went into the pool for gym class. obviously, you took your shirt off and wore swim trunks you brought to school with you, and so all of the girls and guys would see my body all built and shit, but mostly the gay guys would cat call and hit on me. It was funny and boosted my confidence, sure, but that's all it was.

not even joking, really could have waited until high school and it wouldn't have made much of a difference at all.

College is when it really matters. If you've been working out one year before university, you're fine. You're an adult. You can(and will) have good sex with plenty of cute girls. You understand the world and there is more of a need to be healthy when you're an adult when it is very easy to be unhealthy. It does a lot for you, on paper.

Until university age, nobody really cares.
>>
>>37679891
Hell yeah. I don't regret sitting on my ass playing WoW and eating dorito's, though, because it was fun as hell, but getting those aesthetics earlier probably would've helped me out a lot.

I probably wouldnt even be depressed right now.
>>
>>37680042
post a picture
>>
>>37680114
Why would you have regrets? You made the choices that you made with the information you had at the time. You literally did the best you could. I wish I could've done better, perhaps, but I don't regret anything since it was all part of the learning process which made me into the man I am today.

Hating on something just because it's 'popular' is stupid, anon.
>>
File: image.png (239 KB, 638x330) Image search: [Google]
image.png
239 KB, 638x330
>>37681172
>>37681187
>>
>>37679955
>Every day I regret my teenage years

>>37680007
>I wouldn't necessarily say I regret it

??
>>
>>37679891
Yes, around 16
>>
I feel them feels, my retarded teenage self stayed in a relationship with human garbage who would actively tell me I couldn't work out. While I have mostly undone the physically damage mentally I am probably fucked for life.
>>
>>37681231
you don't need to push heavy ass weight when you're starting young. as much of a meme as it sounds like high repetition high intensity is the way to go for putting on mass when you're young
>>
Yes. I'm 164cm short as an adult now so stunted growth wouldn't be an issue.
>>
>>37680038
I'm in the same boat anon. Was slim at 15, got fat throughout high school from just playing video games and eating like shit, now 20 and have lost 60lbs since senior year, but still, what could have been always haunts me
>>
>>37679955
Dude, literally everyone regrets their teenage years. They are horrible, awkward, and clumsy for almost every single person, even the people you think skated through them as a Chad. Stop worrying about them, make the most out of the now.
>>
>>37681055
Do your best every time in the gym.
DONT fucking think of ever giving up.

Supplements:
If any take Creatine and Whey Protein (buy from Optimum Nutrition)
>>
Absolutely, was a late bloomer, but hit my growth spurt in 9th grade and could really throw a football. All the coaches wanted me to play with them and start working out with the team. Was full skelly though, 6'4 140 lbs. Could still huck it 50 yards cause I had really good technique. Mfw if I had played football instead of trumpet I would have been 6'4 225 by the time I was done with high school. Right now, at 6'4 180 and can throw 60-70 yards, and 40 yard lasers. What could have been...why'd my mom have to be a pediatrician and not let me play.
>>
>>37679891
Yes.
>>
Yes, yes I do.

Or, rather, had worked-out smarter.
>>
>>37686317
you cannot think about alternate timelines, and what could've been.

thinking about the nonexistent is for betas; you must take what you want NOW, look how you want NOW, feel how you want to feel NOW.

once youve adopted this, you will be finally understand what it means to be alive
>>
>>37681250
That doesn't make you not grow. It just compresses your spine, which will go back to normal when you lay in bed for a few hours.
>>
>>37679988
Short people are just better gymnasts. I trained 4-5 days a week from age 6 to 15, and I'm 5'6" now. But my parents are 5'2" and 5'7" so it's not the gymnastics that made me short.

Also, I was the biggest motherfucker all throughout middle school and impressed the prepubescent girls with backflips. No regrets whatsoever
>>
I actually tried to in high school. We had a workout class after school and there was even a squat rack. I fucked up by eating nothing and drinking a ton of energy drinks so it felt like I was dying. I also couldn't fuck myself to stay at school another 3 hours (inefficient bus system).
>>
>>37684813
>You can(and will) have good sex with plenty of cute girls

I'm on my phone so I can't post a reaction image fitting of my doubt
>>
>started at 14
>19 now, still dyel because never ate enough

fug
>>
I've worked out fairly consistently since 15 or so (21 now), the only big benefit is having a great CNS

I lift a lot more than I look
>>
>>37679891

>fat in hs and college

yes

it's too late now but at least im fit and healthy, sucks I missed out in school though.
>>
>>37683339
Speaking as some one who is 32 and just starting out with weights--better late than never man. Like the other anon said I'd rather be 40 and fit than 40 and fat.
>>
>>37683339
>30 years old and now i look like a fucking jock/chad

Lie about your age. You are now 26.

BOOM. MIND BLOWN.
>>
>>37684832
This is only true if you only ever made good decisions. Sometimes people have all the info and still do dumb shit. I definitely new smoking was bad for me and addictive but my dumb ass started smoking anyway.
>>
>>37683149
What are spinal erectors for 500?

No srsly, gravity compresses your spine over the xourse of the day, and decompresses while you sleep.

You are literally always tallest in the morning.

P.s. Do weighted chins stretch out your spine?
No? But i am sure squats make you smaller, despite actual scientific data saying it doesnt affect growth plates AT ALL

Your fucking broscience is why my dad didnt let me touch weights until i was 16
>>
>>37681012
teenagers are too immature to enjoy more than one hobby or activity. they are very insecure and therefore try to be really good at something so other kids don't make fun of them. so the kid who plays wow is too insecure to go or and socialize or party. meanwhile the kids who socialize and party are too insecure to enjoy anything that isn't "cool" no matter how much those activities interest them, everybody suffered as a teenager.
>>
>>37683462
What were the stats for your shitty otter mode body back then?
Was it just low body fat?
>>
File: 1466755444443.png (960 KB, 828x943) Image search: [Google]
1466755444443.png
960 KB, 828x943
>>37679955
>throw his WoW-obsessed ass into a gym and not let him leave til he does some fucking squatz.

This hit close to home.

Wish I could have gotten motivated at a very young age.
>>
File: high test.jpg (91 KB, 1080x1073) Image search: [Google]
high test.jpg
91 KB, 1080x1073
>>37679891
>>37679891
ok anons i really need your help..

have a friend who is convinced that OP pic is shoop

i am like 99.99% it is not.

reverse image search did nothing to help.

can someone help prove whether or not this is shoop?

have a $50 wager goin

picture as a shameless attention getter.
>>
>>37679891
No regrets. I am who I am today as a result of both good and bad choices. I'm happy with who I've become, so I wouldn't change anything.

Don't beat on yourself for mistakes from your past, instead focus on who you are now and who you're gonna be in the future. The past is done.
>>
File: dat booty butt.jpg (96 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
dat booty butt.jpg
96 KB, 900x900
>>37688063
pls halp....
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.