[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rowing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3800x1577) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3800x1577
Who /row/ here?

Im trying out for my college team and need training advice.
>>
I think you should do barbell rows and don't forget to do your cardio on the rowing machine
>>
>>37676587
don't forget legs, biggest muscle group in the body and key to a strong pull. do your skwat and diddly
>>
Might be someone on here with good advice but I'd probably start by asking your college team for suggestions. They'll appreciate that you're expressing interest, and can probably also advise you on what they're looking for.

I rowed very casually at uni, so can't really help much, but anyone trying to give advice here will probably also need more information. What's your general fitness level and rowing experience? Have you any idea of specific tests you'll be performing for them (2k test etc.) and how long you have to prepare?
>>
Do long rows on an erg at UT2. Basically you should row at 19 strokes/min at a point where you can talk but not sing so very slightly out of breath. Start with whatever you can manage then work your way up to longer distances. A progression could be 5k -> 6k -> 2x5k 1:30 rest in between -> 2x6k ->...->3x6k.

You could first test how fit you are by doing 30 minutes at rate 20. Do it at a steady pace for sure but make sure you are exhausted by the end. Then the time to hold for the 5k etc. above is your split for the 30 minutes plus 5-8 seconds. So if was 2:00/500m do 2:05-8/500m just make sure it's sustainable as you should be able to hold that pace for an hour pretty quickly.

This is what I've gathered from doing rowing at my uni. I wasn't terribly great but the above seems to be the way to really improve fitness. Since most of the racing is in the 2nd semester it's best to build up fitness and do weights now and then get into racing form for the 2nd semester.

In addition to the above get as much time on the water as possible. Power and fitness only count for so much, having power with shit technique is not a good thing.
>>
>>37676569
i rowed in undergrad, you should just get training advice asap from the actual team you'll be rowing with, ask the coach how to prepare for tryouts best, he's the one who will be setting the metrics by which you're measured
>>
Have you been in a boat before? While squats/DL's and lots of erg are pretty good preparation, all my coaches keep repeating that ergs don't float, which basically means that results are mostly dependent on work in the boat.

Also work on your core and flexibility, this will help with technique
>>
Thanks for the help guys. He basically said do a lot of pulling movements in the weight room. Cleans, deads, pullups stuff like that. Right now Im 5 11 175 so ill probably try to gain some weight this summer. And he said to spend a lot of time on the rowing machine.
>>
>>37676587
>do your cardio on the rowing machine

Shit everybody ought to do this. It's much more relaxing than other cardio, and it's full-body.
>>
>>37676569
Book suggestion: rowing faster, 2nd edition. Good advice and goal setting in there. You should also ask your coach. As a novice, you really shouldn't row without proper instruction. You will reinforce bad habits and possibly injure yourself.

Assuming you don't or won't ask your coach -
Mostly aerobic work in 60 to 90 minute sessions, 18 to 22 spm broken up with short rest as desired. Cross train running or cycling as desired.

Off-season weeks include two to three hard sessions, maybe one AT and one sprint to stay in touch with high end speed. 2x20 minute or 2x6k at like 24 26 28, or mid rate capped, with half work time rest. Sprints could be short work like 500s, rate capped 1000s or 20 stroke bursts with full or more rest, or active recovery. Nothing too intense.

Core lifts should be clean if you can, squat, deadlift, bench pull. Core/ab work every day.

Source: US team (I did not make Rio)
>>
Pull fat ergos every day, fuck water practice.
>>
>>37681651
this is gold anon thanks
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.