[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you bench without a spotter /fit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: fa9.jpg (22 KB, 840x405) Image search: [Google]
fa9.jpg
22 KB, 840x405
Do you bench without a spotter /fit/?
>>
yeah but i know how much weight i'm capable of doing.

i also don't max out.
>>
>>37671690
I do but i'm a DYEL who lifts 1pl8
>>
>>37671690
I bench in a cage. Putting the safety catches at "15" is perfect. With a mild arch I can easily touch my chest without hitting safeties, but they take it off me if I exhale and flatten out. I can bench to failure without worry.
>>
>>37671695
Next term a friend of mine said he'd spot me which is good since I been doing dumbbells and machines for 8 months and am now switching to barbells
>>
>>37671690
Yes.
>>
>>37671721
Are you afraid of killing yourself?
>>
>>37671690
Yeah. The fear of not getting the rep makes you have to get the rep, ie more gains.
>>
>>37671731
Also should mention I workout in a home gym where nobody can hear my screams
>>
>>37671737
>add weight to the bar
>go to failure
>can't do last rep
Dead.png
>>
Yes
To failure
Roll of shame
Everytime
>>
>>37671690
>dont put clips on so the failure roll is super loud and embarrassing
>>
>>37671865
I have a spotter thank fuck. I'm also a dyel who can only 1pl8mao
>>
>>37671690
I've failed bench enough times to not want to deal with that anymore, roll of shame no thx.

Lately I've been doing heavy dumbell press and flies to failure and extreme muscle fatigue, finish out the day with some fixed-weight bar presses. You know, the short bars that don't go past 135. Yes, they're not particularly heavy, but chest is tired as fuck by the time I get there.
>>
>>37671910
The uni gym opens at 7am and my spotter friend wants to go there first thing. He's a 6'4 swimmer who actually doesn't lift, his back and delete are gud but everything else is literally atrophy mode. There's no one there first thing in the morning except maybe 2 cardio bunny qts so I can do my dyel lifting in peace.
Okay home atmdoing a really shitty dumbbell routine but at least it's something
>>
>>37671954
*delts
>>
>>37671690
home gym for five months
only one roll of shame
>>
>>37671690
>>37671711
This, usually, but I always bench without a spotter, even when visiting and using a commercial gym chain.

I hate people being in the corner of my eye sight when I lift.
I'd rather roll and zercher 330lbs than loose tightness and injure myself, because some dickweed is standing behing me.
>>
Why don't you just avoid the clips and dump the weight if you catastrophically fail?

Btw, you should know what you're capable of. I know my 3 rep range...
>>
>tfw usually bench without a spotter
>one day
>ask random dude for a spot because feeling weaker than usual
>tell him not to touch the bar until I do 3 reps
>tfw he aggressively rows the bar on the first rep
>all u brah u got this cmon all u
>finish the set
>man you could've done 5 more
>th-thanks
>mfw grills are better spotters because they do exactly what you told them to
>>
>>37672018
I'm a curl bro (good arms for normie standard) who is new to barbells. I spent 8 months doing compounds and a few isolations on machines and dumbbells. Before that I literally did Chad tier curl bro home workouts.
>>
Just ask someone when you go heavy you fucking autists
>>
I do, but I don't do any sets less than 5 reps. I feel like I just have a very good idea of whether or not I can get that 5th rep based on how the 4th went. I've only failed a couple times, and It's not like failure meant my muscles just instantly went limp and the bar plummeted towards my chest or threat in free fall. I was able to lower it to my ribs without issue and tilt the plates off me.
>>
Usually.

I'll ask for a spot if I feel I need one. If no spotter is available I'll just bench in the power rack with the safeties up. If there is no power rack don't use clips or learn to utilize the roll of shame. No need to make a big deal out of a simple process.
>>
File: 102hhc.png (65 KB, 360x268) Image search: [Google]
102hhc.png
65 KB, 360x268
Does no one use these or OP just trolling ?
>>
>>37672048
girls are better sex partners for similar reasons
>>
All the time. Just don't panic or rush to get the weights off of you when you can't do a rep and you should be fine. However, not rushing is easier said than done since you want to get the weights off as quickly as possible to minimize embarrassment.

I injured my wrist failing on incline bench last time. I tried to dump the weights, but they are so rubbery that they wouldn't move.
>>
>>37672286
Most gyms don't have those desu
>>
Yes, the fear of injury and embarrassment pumps you up to get those reps. Only low test betas need spotters.
>>
Yeah but I lift babyweight in sets of 12 reps.
>>
File: 1450692939060.png (41 KB, 271x204) Image search: [Google]
1450692939060.png
41 KB, 271x204
>>37671690
Yes. Everyone's nice and nosey at my gym so if i pause there's someone there.

>be me
>be morning
>all the 20 yo hotties are lifting
>legit get rekt by my 3xlmao2pl8 set of benchpress
>some danty red head helps me while her cooch touchs the top of my head.

Breddy dank.
>>
>>37673338
Notice
You used this as a way to get her normie book or something right?
>>
Yeah. Only had to roll of shame twice
>>
>>37672048
Lol, I could imagine this. Literal gains goblin.
>>
ya but i only DB bench so
>>
Yes. I do a good amount of focus on the negative rep so the bar never comes crashing down on me, and I always use collars in case I need to do the roll of shame. I'm pushing babby weight anyway, so I'm not as concerned about it
>>
>>37671713
Are you trying to be a pleub with doing machines for 8 months.
>>
When I'm attempting a max weight, I'll use the power cage so I don't crush my larynx. Most people (I'm guessing 9/10 gym goers) can't spot for shit and will lift up immediately when you start to stall.
>>
>>37672440
kek'd
>>
>>37674280
>dumbbells
learn to read fagit. Also post body I bet your a scrawny dyel.
>>
I never max out but I never bench with a spotter and probably fail on my last rep a few times a month. Just roll of shame that shit down to your hip, sit up and then stand up while bracing your core ,and lower the bar to the ground. I'm only benching 80kg and doing this is easy as fuck. I can see it being a problem once you get to heavier weights but I don't think it will be an issue until after the 100kg mark at least.
>>
>>37671690
I move babby weight, so no.
>tfw had to do the roll of shame with 155lbs
>>
File: 1440691973752.jpg (62 KB, 367x615) Image search: [Google]
1440691973752.jpg
62 KB, 367x615
>>37671788

>not literally leaving humanity behind while bencing

dyel?
>>
>>37671729

I must not fear. Fear is the gains-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total skelly-mode. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
>>
File: 1466719724767.jpg (53 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1466719724767.jpg
53 KB, 500x377
>>37671690
Nah. There aren't many retards at my gym, so I get someone to spot me, tell him how many reps I'm aiming for and how to proceed when I can't push it anymore. That's it, what's there to be autistic about? A few negatives at the end of your heaviest set can be very beneficial.
>>
>>37671690
I do my regular barbell bench with no spotter in the beginning of my workout then burn myself out with incline dumbbells press at the end. If I want to increase my barbell, ill just lower the weight of my dumbell for a few weeks then start adding 5 pounds per week w/ a spotter.
>>
I do my maxes on a smith machine, so yes.
>>
>>37671731
This. Plus it's beta as fuck to bench with a spotter. You're pretty much saying "I can't make it on my own" when you use a spotter.
>>
>>37675269
That's dumb because you can bench more on a smith than you can normally.
>>
Homegym here.

Floor press instead of bench

Currently at 200x6
Never
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.