[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just found out I've been doing bench press wrong for like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: capture.jpg (421 KB, 850x567) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
421 KB, 850x567
Just found out I've been doing bench press wrong for like a year...

I've been bringing it down to my collar bone, apparently it's supposed to go to just above your sternum?

Is it harder to do it properly (proper bar path)? If so how much harder? How much should I drop my weight by?
>>
Drop the weight 100% on your neck
>>
>>37666681
Thanks I'll try that next time
>>
Just go to the gym, bench with just the bar with proper form, then keep adding weight until you feel it's a good working weight for you. Your post belongs in QTDDTOT.
>>
>>37666681
3 sets of this
>>
>>37666693
Will this mess up my sets at all?
Sorry, I didn't think there was QTDDTOT up atm
>>
>>37666672
just go to your nipples
>>
>>37666672
these are the people who claim home gym is master-race
>>
>>37666705
>Will this mess up my sets at all?
Honestly I wouldn't try to do an actual routine involving further barbell bench press after fixing your form. Treat it like a discovery day and continue the rest of your daily routine as normal.
>>
>>37666724
Instead of doing (3x5) bench press I'll just do your discovery tactic?
>>
>>37666672
>Just found out I've been doing bench press wrong for like a year...
How is that even possible? There are idiots just like you making threads like these constantly, plus the fucking sticky that mentally ill transvestite made has tons of info on proper form. How have you never read it?
>>
I bench over 2x body weight. I switch up how I bench very frequently. Grip widths, foot placement, arch or not, leg drive or not, more shoulders/no shoulders. Diagonal or straight. Collar, nipple, sternum. Touch and go or pause.

Some days i focus on pecs, some days i focus on tricep reflex, some days i focus on my shoulders and lats getting loaded some days i focus on my elbows and forearms holding the weight/

When i press in perfect powerlifting position it feels so automatic and comfy, but the truth is that it doesnt really make a huge difference. I can protract my scapula, no arch, and engage rotator cuffs 100% and ill be safe and i wont lose a single pound off my PR.

The variety really spiced up my bench training and made it more enjoyable. different forms give different percepted* advantages for sure but ultimately theres no perfect form that will blow up your bench insanely. All your benches no matter what form will be ~5 pounds within each other.

What im trying to say is, dont sweat it. Your bench is not wrong at all. Its just a different style. Try the others out and play around a lot. Things like this make lifting more fun. More fun means more time dedicated to lifting, and more time means more gains.
>>
>>37668663
>T. Blogger
>>
>>37668663
nice blog fag
>>
>>37668663
>telling a lifting newbie to bench to his collarbones
please posts your blogs on reddit next time
>>
>>37668663
/personal blog
>>
>>37668663
>>37668663

As much hate as you're getting, brother, you're right.

Just because the OP has been trying to guillotine himself for a year doesn't mean he hasn't made gains.

>>37666672

You've still got tricep and pec strength. Work on your form starting with the empty bar, and then pyramid up to your working weight for one set - i.e. 5x45/5x95/5x135/4x185/3x225/till tire.

As soon as you find the weight that you struggle with (Which may be 10% lighter or 10% heavier then what you already rep, who knows) go on from there, you Scarlet Pimpernel.
>>
>>37668663
Fuck off redditor
>>
>>37666708
To the nips! As close as possible for max 'range of motion'. I have two trainers, including a former magazine frontin' meathead. He's tough, near my age - but he knows form.
Other trainer is 31 and skinny ottermode super good guy. 8.5%bf Both say to the nipples
Paz
>>
>>37668476
Scooby made the sticky?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.