[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The great protein debate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 1466326195027.jpg (119 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
1466326195027.jpg
119 KB, 620x349
Good evening fellow fit friends, tonight I would like to bring to your attention the following video.

https://youtu.be/1imMDS4Aolc

How do you feel about his reasoning and can you refute it?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you :)
>>
Holy shit a thread about veganism! And the OP doesn't even tell us what it's about.

sage sage sage
>>
File: 1451156959634.jpg (37 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1451156959634.jpg
37 KB, 250x250
>>37666184
>hovered over the video link
>saw some hipster faggot and the word "vegan"
>mfw
>>
>how do you can you tell the vegan in the room
>dont worry he'll let you know
>>
>>37666201
>>37666212

It is not about veganism.

I am interested in what you guys think about his opinion on protein intake.
>>
>>37666212
this
>>
Will I get enough protein to lift my man bun?

>fixed
>>
>>37666212
kek same tbqh famalam
>>
>>37666226
He's not completely insane, although he is misguided on several points, and I'm only 3 mins into the video: the origin of the word protein: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2598953/?page=1 ez google search; chimps have a very different digestive system and microbiota, so a direct comparison to humans is stupid. Cows make protein from grass, people can to some degree do it as well, although it is highly inefficient, and the silicates in cow feed would destroy our teeth in short order. Which brings me to Mr. Rasta's main point: yes, you can eat very little protein and be OK. From wiki: "Although proteins from plant sources tend to have a relatively lower concentrations of protein by mass in comparison to protein from eggs or milk, they are nevertheless "complete" in that they contain at least trace amounts of all of the amino acids that are essential in human nutrition."
You will look like a fucking skellington though. Raw Vegan Frutarian diet retarded for a variety of reasons, but hey, I don't wanna look like Weed Jesus, so I don't follow his ways.
>>
>>37666352

Thank you for the first normal response.

People on this site tend to get angry when people think differently.
>>
File: 123515125632.jpg (169 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
123515125632.jpg
169 KB, 1440x900
>>37666212

my nigga
>>
>>37666365
gotta use my bio undergrad for something, even if it's for making semi-literate posts on /fit/
>>
File: picard facepalm low.jpg (90 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
picard facepalm low.jpg
90 KB, 1440x1080
>>37666226
hey OP, a suggestion: if a dude on YouTube confabulates some claims, take like 5 seconds and google them. Rasta-man says (paraphrasing) "raw protein is more digestible than cooked protein". This should set off alarm bells in your brain. It sounds wrong, but how would you actually ever know? Luckily a bunch of scientists did a study on this very subject, and here is what they found:

"Five ileostomy patients were studied, once after ingestion of a test meal consisting of 25 g of cooked 13C- and 15N-labeled egg protein, and once after ingestion of the same test meal in raw form. Ileal effluents and breath samples were collected at regular intervals after consumption of the test meal and analyzed for 15N- and 13C-content, respectively. The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively. A significant negative correlation (r = −0.92, P < 0.001) was found between the 13C-recovery in breath and the recovery of exogenous N in the ileal effluents. In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. A simple 13C-breath test technique furthermore proved to be a suitable alternative for the evaluation of the true ileal digestibility of egg protein."

Holy shit, this was published in a peer reviewed journal, so there is at least a decent chance that their study is not total bullshit, like the frutarian lies.

Out of sheer curiosity, OP, why do you you even care what they think?
>>
There is zero debate. Optimal athlete intake is at least 1.8-2.2 grams per kg. Saged, reported, called the cops.

>>37666212
This. Just wished the thread had the same courtesy.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.