[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the general consensus of SS on /fit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
Is SS really necessary? I see /fit/ always recommend people do SS for 1 year before doing anything else, when they are starting out.
>>
>>37665038
it's a simple routine that's easy to follow, it teaches you all the main compound lifts while building a strength base
>>
>>37665053
Why do people constantly make fun of it then?
>>
>>37665038
it's not "necessary", it's just one of the most productive things you can do as a novice. when you're done with it you'll be bigger and stronger than most people in public gyms, and it only takes a few months to complete.
>>
>>37665067

memes
>>
>>37665067
>why do people make fun of something on 4chan
>>
I'm just curious. what are the best videos on how to do each exercise in SS? There are tons of videos out there I don't want to fuck it up.
>>
>>37665105

http://fitsticky.com/how-to
>>
SS is a meme
>>
>>37665105
the best "video" is to read the book. if you think you can get everything you need from youtube videos you're setting yourself up for bad form and injuries down the form
>>
SS is truly fantastic
>>
its not necessary but its pretty damn good.

one problem with it is that people read about it on retarded sites and think that SS is just doing the workouts listed and increasing weight everytime, but its a lot more than that. you pretty much HAVE to read the book in order to do SS properly. there's a thread about SS on a certain fitness forum and im fucking tired of seeing people take their squat from 60kg to 100kg in four months thinking thats great progress. if they did shit properly, they likely could have doubled their progress.

another problem is Rip's mentality behind all his programming: doing the minimum amount of work required to progress. the principle is of course reasonable but except for squats, results in all his programs having pretty damn low volume and some people would do way better with some more volume. if one just wants to look good, id definitely add curls and rows/face pulls and possibly LTEs and lateral raises to the program.
>>
why does rip always try to post pics of him being alpha/overly masculine? Shits cringey
>>
>>37665038
SS for a year is absurd unless you want to be a competitive powerlifter. Do it for 6-8 months tops and then switch to something like PPL if you want to look like a sikkent.
>>
>>37665266
you can tell that he's like that off of camera
>>
>>37665256
>think that SS is just doing the workouts listed and increasing weight everytime, but its a lot more than that. you pretty much HAVE to read the book in order to do SS properly. there's a thread about SS on a certain fitness forum and im fucking tired of seeing people take their squat from 60kg to 100kg in four months thinking thats great progress. if they did shit properly, they likely could have doubled their progress.
What do you mean?

The rest of the book is just form, common issues, and recommendations if I remember right?

What was your squat when you finished it?

It's probably the best program I've ever done.
>>
>>37665256
To be fair as a novice the volume in ss is just right at least was for me and it got me from couch potato to 1/2/3/4 for 1rm whilst on a cut.

Lots of his texas method templates include lte and rows.
>>
>>37665038
It's the single best program you can do.
>>
>>37665315
He explains increments to increase what to do for failure and how to milk the program as much as possible.
>>
>>37665337
Ah that's right.

Also, did you do GOMAD?
I went from a 50kg skelly to 75kg in a few months after I started, I could never get over how easy progress was once you were eating enough (I was a bro-split faggot eating steamed vegetables and chicken for a few years before).
>>
>>37665067
I think it should have more accessory workouts. I think 5x5 is probably the technique I like best, I look for a little bit more intensity in my workouts. Try adding in some "conventional" weight lifting after your compounds for the day, compounds make you secrete massive amounts of the testosterone into your blood. If you get a pump in your biceps after lots of compounds it's supposed to help with gainz.
>not doing side laterals the first year of lifting
>don't ever play yourself
>>
>>37665315
someone else already answered, but
form plays a big part in the progress you can make. just looking at some 5min how to squat videos on youtube really wont give you the gains reading SS would, and thats just about what most normies "doing SS" do.

eating properly is another thing, and while SS doesn't go into depth in nutrition, its obvious that "finishing LP" while weighing 175lbs at 6' is not really finishing LP - it's not eating enough. i think everyone doing SS should read this http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/

i "finished" at 3x5x290 squats while weighing around 180. i probably could have made it to 3plate for reps easily if i ate more and better.
>>
>>37665105
ignore the other replies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIB_X2N6020

the other four are in the related videos.
>>
>>37665380
I'm this guy >>37665322
Went from 88 to 71 kgs so by cutting I wasn't really doing the program however it still gave amazing results. I see what you mean though once I started bulking and doing Texas method all kinda gains.
>>
>>37665322
yeah its great for most people, but some people need more which can be a bit problematic because of the YNDTP thing

AFAIK the TM templates with additional shit are by baker, not rip.
>>
>expecting consensus on an anonymous Vietnamese knitting tip exchange forum

SS is a meme is a meme. I think you're better off starting with some variant of Greyskull's Linear Progression, but any form of program with linear progression is probably good enough when you're starting out. Nobody got big benching 135 lbs.
>>
>>37665473
Makes sense since he pretty much directs almost all of the programming questions to baker. Are you squatting low bar ? Just wondering because I hurt my hip with too much knee forward on my high bar at 165 x5 kg intensity day and after a month of form work sports massage and foam rolling it's gone but now I want to switch to low bar.
>>
>>37665105

Ignore this guy >>37665433 and listen to this guy >>37665134
>>
>>37665474
>nobody got big benching 135

>tfw just had to deload back to 135 :(
>>
>>37665105
Read the fucking book newfaggot.
Jesus christ it isn't that hard.
>>
As someone who did SS for 6 months when I first started lifting 6 years ago I sometimes think about no reccomending it. But then I remember how I literally didn't know any of the lifts and I would read the book everyday at work and watch videos to have perfect technique and I realize that it really was worthwhile hammering form on all the lifts. Because now I see people with absolute shit form and I'm thankful for what I have.

I would not do gomad though (which I did) and I wouldn't do ss for a year. Half gomad with skim milk might be alright if you're really skinny. But I did the whole milk gomad and it wasn't worth it
>>
>>37665038
It's just to troll summerfags, don't fall for it.
>>
>>37667339
sounds like you didn't read the book if you did SS for a whole year and did GOMAD until you were fat. you're supposed to stop GOMAD before you get fat, and you should stop SS when the linear progression stops.
>>
>>37667089
Don't worry, bro. You're well on your way to making it. Leave the ego at the door and lift for you.
>>
>>37667430
If you do it right, you can actually drag out linear progress a pretty long time, and I believe he actually discusses some of this in SS and more in Practical Programming.

Not who you were responding to, but you're supposed to stop SS after 3 deloads, and a deaload and build-back-up (assuming you deload 10%) can take a couple of weeks.

I also got a lot of mileage out of replacing 3x5 with one heavy work set and going at 90% of my heavy work set for the other two sets of five. It helped a lot when 3x5 started to feel like too much to be able to handle.

After that, you can start alternating heavy and light (80-90%) squat days.

Then, taking longer deloads can help a lot with extended fatigue. I had taken a week at 50-60% at mine then started again at 90% of what I had before

I was able to drag out starting strength and get up to a 375x5 back squat, so I figured it worked well for me.
>>
>1 year
whoa there 6 months top
>>
File: 20160620_201340.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160620_201340.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Idk man ive been on ss with accessories for 4 months and ive gotten alot stronger. Just lift heavy and add accessories to where you feel your lacking.
>>
File: 20160523_110035.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160523_110035.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>37668079
Legs
>>
>>37668079
>>37668101
Did you read the book? I am too poor to read the book so all I've been doing is the exercises.
>>
>>37668183
No, got the routine online watched a ton of videos on form. I did a few sessions with light weight and focusing on form then just went from there.
>>
File: tumblr_ms0kww2nyP1qgojlgo1_1280.jpg (436 KB, 920x1380) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ms0kww2nyP1qgojlgo1_1280.jpg
436 KB, 920x1380
>>37667442
thanks mayne
>>
File: aestheticasfuck.jpg (171 KB, 738x415) Image search: [Google]
aestheticasfuck.jpg
171 KB, 738x415
>>37665038
If you want to be a powerlifter yes, if you want to be a strongman maybe, if you want to be a bodybuilder no.
>>
SS + GOMAD
>>
>>37668483
xD
>>
>>37665038
>Is SS really necessary?
If you can't lift 1/2/3/4pl8 x 5, then yes. Otherwise no.
>>
>>37668183
You can torrent it now, then buy a copy if you like the results later.
>>
File: image.png (396 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
396 KB, 750x1334
>>37668686
>Not buying Starting Strength 6th edition and doing the Advanced 2nd stage modified microloading phase for 14 months and subscribing to the Wichita Falls Weekly and hiring a milkman to deliver you milk everyday
YNDTP
>>
>>37665416
You mean lateral raises right?
Do they give some good results in addition to The Press™?
>>
>>37665380
>>37665423
I ate 3k a day for 3 months, stuffing my face with food, clean food, and I struggled as much if not more than now that I'm on a slight deficit.
Only thing that I got was a disgusting belly fat, literally didnt gain weight in any other part of my body.
It's ok if you wanna eat a lot and gain fat, and then torture yourself to lose it... and rinse and repeat, but it's not a requirement for everybody.
I'm just a weak person that will have to do a lot of volume to get my bench press, ohp, rows, dls, chinups, dips and grip strength up
>>
>>37665038
It's a great program. But Rip is a bit dogmatic in his thinking which rubs people the wrong way.

Personally I'm a fan of GSLP which evolved from SS.
>>
>>37665038
It's a great beginner program

It lasts until your squat stalls big time basically. It's not about some stipulated time on it.
>>
SS is fine, but if you're skinny and don't bulk like crazy ( >3k cal, and yes that is a big bulk for a skeleton who's 6ft or less) you will stop making gains in about 6 months and not reach 1/2/3/4. If you're a fat guy on a cut then you'll probably hit 1/2/3/4.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.