[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been looking into getting some shoes for lifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 3-q33821_blackrunningwh_el.jpg (638 KB, 1953x866) Image search: [Google]
3-q33821_blackrunningwh_el.jpg
638 KB, 1953x866
So I've been looking into getting some shoes for lifting

I've heard the adipowers or romaleos are some of the best, but how are the adidas powerlifts (pic related)? I've heard they're not quite as good as soon as you lift more than 300 lbs in them, as the soles actually start to compress at that amount of weight. Is this true and should I go with a more expensive but better pair instead of trying to save some money?

What exactly is the difference between the Powerlift 2 and just a "weightlifting shoe" like the romaleos or the adipowers?
>>
Not Op but i have a question

Are lifting shoes only used for squatting? Hows dead lifting in them? It seems a bit much to buy a pair of shoes just to use them for squatting. Do you change shoes during your work outs ?
>>
>>37661077
If you cannot already squat 300lbs, then there's no point in getting weightlifting shoes. If you are going to buy a pair, opt for the adipowers. They're better quality.
Weightlifting shoes only decrease the amount of dorsiflexion needed to get into a squat position. This will make it easier for you to get deeper and keep more upright, while squatting.
They're useful, but only if you've progressed past an intermediate level.
>>37661245
They're used for many weightlifting type lifts. Different types of squats, included.
No they are not used for deadlifting. You need to be as flat to the ground as possible when deadlifting, effectively decreasing the ROM.
>>
>>37661077
if your ankle mobility is shit they'll help until you improve
I bought adipower and they seem like they'll last me a lifetime
a dude at the gym has the ones you show in the pic and he's happy,
but he does not squat a lot
>>
File: chucks.jpg (127 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
chucks.jpg
127 KB, 500x332
>>37661077
/thread
>>
File: nike-cortez-10.jpg (27 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nike-cortez-10.jpg
27 KB, 500x500
Are these good shoes for lifting
>>
>>37661419
Extremely
>>
>>37661077
I wouldn't worry about the sole compressing. There are a lot of people squatting a lot more than 300lbs without any problems. Some people choose Powerlift 2s over Adipowers of Romaleos because of the heel. Powerlift 2s has a lower heel height than the more expensive ones. At the end of the day it comes down to preference.
>>
>>37661419
fuck no
>>
>>37661410
comfy as fuck too
>>
File: 1426220426389.png (787 KB, 1124x1016) Image search: [Google]
1426220426389.png
787 KB, 1124x1016
>>37661410
>powerlifting
>>
>>37661077
Powerlift 2's are ok. The heel height is 0.6" compared to the 0.75" standard for weightlifting shoes like Adipowers or Romaleos. They were marketed as more of an intro/hybrid/crossfit/casual shoe but I wouldn't recommend them in general.

From what I've seen, Romaleos are currently the gold standard. Adipowers tend to run a bit narrow, so that alone may limit you depending on your foot shape. I am very happy with my PowerPerfect 2's but they seem to have died out.

Having an elevated heel allows you to squat more upright, regardless of your ankle mobility. My ankle mobility used to be quite poor though and the WL shoes allowed me to start pushing through my heels more, improving my squat stability and strength immensely.

>>37661245
They're mostly used for highbar/frontsquats & weightlifting. Dan Green uses them for lowbar but he's an exception.

You can deadlift in them if you'd like - they effectively give your deads a slight deficit. If you're ever maxing out, you'll be able to pull more with flat soles. I have one PL friend who prefers to pull in his Romaleos during training.

Most people change in/out of their WL shoes during their workouts, yes. Walking in parking lots or wherever will wear out the shoes much faster. High quality WL shoes last a long time if properly maintained.
>>
>>37661077

I've squatted 550 lbs to depth in those shoes. They're just fucking fine.

>What exactly is the difference between the Powerlift 2 and just a "weightlifting shoe" like the romaleos or the adipowers?

About $120. Also, the Adipowers and Romaleos are .75 inch heel I believe, while the Powerlifts are .5 if I recall. For a cheap .75 inch heel (better for Cleans and Snatches, less helpful for deadlifts and especially squats), /owg/ loves the Wu-Rei Warrior.

>>37661245

Use them for any lift. You MIGHT not need them for the Bench Press, but I, personally, am the King of Manlets and the raised heel helps me dig my feet against the floor and brace dat dem dere perfect arch.
>>
>>37661410

A lack of a strap over the arch of the foot and lack of a rigid sole make them shit for squatting in, retard. Not as much of a problem for conventional deadlifts.
>>
>>37661463
Not OP, but hell, hope you're right. Ordered them less than an hour ago, adidas has 30% off on them, shit costs pennies at the moment.
>>
>>37661077
Isn't needing special shows to lift just as bad as needing a special pad for your neck?
>>
>>37661822
What? How so? Just shut up for a second. It's for range of motion not comfort.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.