[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A man's body and mind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot_2016-06-22-09-44-46.png (568 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-22-09-44-46.png
568 KB, 854x480
My body started to feel more like a man's when I started lifting and as I progress and keep improving my body I start to feel more and more the disparity between my body and mind, I would like to train my mind as much as my body, have you also struggled with this /fit)?
>>
Read
>>
>>37652369
>>37652369
I like to read, but what does a man read? Im sure the big leaders in the world aren't reading teenage romance novels.
>>
>>37652467

What do you like?

I personally read history, mystery, horror, survival fiction, philosophy (*tips fedora*), and generally anything that looks interesting.

Go to a book store and spend an hour looking over the categories and find what interests you.

just finished this book and got dayum it was good
>>
>>37652167
If you feel like reading big boy books head over to /lit/ and make your way through their recommended list
>>
>>37652369
Not saying it doesn't help but what does reading really do? Do you mean a specific type of book?
>>
File: ngExKHr.jpg (1 MB, 1820x4348) Image search: [Google]
ngExKHr.jpg
1 MB, 1820x4348
>>37654447
Depends on the book and the content but it really can make you think about things in a different way, especially Classics or Philosophy. Most shlock today is pretty bad.

>>37652167
Best to start with very early philosophy from the Greeks or read the Art of War. They're really the basis for plenty of modern thought today.

If you want fiction there is pic related. It's a few years old but it's pretty accurate to /lit/'s taste today.
>>
>>37652167
I like reading biographys. I recently finished kissenger by Niall ferguson.
>>
>>37652467
I think world leaders read books on economics, politics, history, human behaviour etc.

>>37652167
Mental masculinity is linked with hormones and neurochemistry which are affected by behaviour, diet, lifestyle etc. so I'd suggest living healthy in general and "acting like a man" in any way you can think of:
>taking up a combat sport
>being more competitive in general
>being more ambitious
>spend more time in male company (if you don't already)
>being more self-reliant
>looking out for others
>challenging yourself
>being more confident, less inhibited
>putting yourself through hardship
>making sure you've earned what you have

if you want to read I'd suggest reading about warrior cultures like the germanic tribes, vikings, sparta etc. and roman society (before it started declining) - /his/ or /lit/ should be able to help with that. There's the viking sagas and the Iliad if you're up to reading the source texts, again /lit/ and /his/ should help you work out how to do that. I'd say reading about warrior cultures might work as a way of taking you outside the modern mindset, although acting on what you learn is necessary.
>>
>>37652167
Study philosophy of the ancient warrior cultures

Stoicism, for instance

Improve yourself as a person, don't just read "books on economics, politics, history, human behaviour" if you don't think it will actually help you or interest you at all, just so you can feel smart or manly. I guarantee you most people don't give a shit what you read, so it's not like you're going to impress anyone
>>
>>37655647
[fedora tipping intensifies]
>>
>>37652167
>>
Read these for life gains

Flow - Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
Thinking Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
The Power of Habit - Charles Duhigg
Seven Habits of Highly Effective People - Stephen Covey
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.