[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>never really worked out hamstrings before besides squats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 1453662900401.png (63 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
1453662900401.png
63 KB, 367x202
>never really worked out hamstrings before besides squats and deads
>did romanians and lying leg curls for the first time
>2 days ago
>still cant straighten my legs

Why do the DOMS gods hate me /fit/? I want to deadlift today but no chance with my legs like this :(

You guys have any tricks to deal with DOMS?
>>
Wait and/or push through it, that's all you can really do
>>
>>37645783
Light cardio for blood flow and some stretching. Also, ignore it, bitch. It's actually hard not to smile when I feel the soreness.
>>
Leg Extensions/Lying Leg Curls give me the most DOMs, yet they never give me any gains.

I removed them from my routine and didn't see any decrease in gains at all whatsoever.

Something tells me they're fucking useless.
>>
>>37645880
If it's giving such major DOMS it has to be doing something right? Maybe it's just not so noticeable because the hamstrings aren't really a muscle you'll see very much.
>>
best cure for DOMS is exercise OP.
>>
>>37645931
>>37645865
>>37645816
fugg alright I won't deadlift but I'll go to the gym today and do shoulders and arms ight
>>
>>37645931
This. I go to the gym regularly now and don't get DOMS anymore, except when I work arms (thanks to SS, arms got neglected). Legs feel no pain anymore.
>>
>>37645989
Do some light back extensions and RDLs.

Also
>Shoulder and arm day
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>37646000
u just jelly of my juicy delts fagget I go 6 days a week
>>
>>37646019
Shoulder day is literally redundant.
>>
>>37646051
what do you mean by that?
>>
>>37646000
confirmed for still on beginner program and having no idea how people past .75/1/1.5/2 x body weight progress
>>
>>37646082
Anterior deltoids, triceps, and pecs synergistic with each other. They are all worked heavily with presses, such as flat and incline bench. Again, even though it is primarily a shoulder exercise, triceps and chest are also involved in shoulder presses. So, you end up working your delts and triceps twice per week, but chest once.

The same way anterior deltoids are synergistic with triceps and pecs, posterior deltoids are synergistic with your pulling exercises. Rows and pullups hit your upper back muscles as well as your biceps brachii and rear delts.

So, by having a shoulders and arms day, you are working those muscles twice as often. You could however, turn this into another upper body day and get more out of it by focusing on efficient compound exercises that hit more muscle groups.

Most current literature would recommend training each muscle group twice a week (beginners should train each muscle 3 times per week) for optimal progress.
>>
>>37645783
I wish I still got DOMS
I got DOMS first time I did Romanian deadlifts after not doing them for a while but never got them after the first workout
DOMS maker me feel like I actually did something in the gym rather than just going through the motions
>>
>>37646162
Thanks, this is some good information actually
>>
>>37646082
>>37646183
Also, if you place your shoulder/arm day directly after your chest workout, your deltoids and triceps will still be fatigued and you won't get as much out of the workout.

If you place it after your back workout, your biceps will be fatigued and may limit the performance.

It's best to combine chest, anterior delts, and triceps into one workout.

Upper/Lower splits are also a common way to avoid this problem of hitting muscle groups more frequently than others, too because everything is rolled into one workout. Push/Pull/Legs function this way too.
>>
>>37646195
Only problem with that is if you press after benching your press sucks, and vice versa. So then you have to rotate, and your chest/shoulder progress is halved
>>
>>37646207
That's a non issue, really.

You were only benching once a week anyways, right? You were only focusing on OHP once a week anyways, right?

You don't have to keep the same repetition ranges, you can have a heavy bench day and a pumpier day. But the idea is that you hit it twice instead of once. Because an added shoulder/arm day means that for every time you do chest, your triceps and shoulders get an additional workout.

I don't know how you can say progress is halved, either. If you were benching once per week and you managed to add 5lbs every week, and now you bench twice per week, rotating bench/ohp as your primary exercise, you'll still be able to add 5lbs per week.
>>
>>37646271
im a different guy, was just lurkin. on my programs thats what ive found, idk about op
>>
>>37646294
I don't know how you could extrapolate that progress is halved when you are changing the program to work chest more frequently.

It seems your issue is one of being able to test your strength from one workout to the next rather than monitoring the progress of the overarching training cycle.

Here's a sample U/L

Upper 1:
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8
Row: 3-4X6-8
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12
Triceps: 1-2X12-15
Biceps: 1-2X12-15

Lower 1:
Squat: 3-4X6-8
RDL: 3-4X6-8
Leg press: 2-3X10-12
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12

Upper 2:
Incline Bench or Shoulder Press: 3-4X6-8
Pulldown/Chin: 3-4X6-8
Flat Bench: 2-3X10-12
Row: 2-3X10-12
Triceps: 1-2X12-15
Biceps: 1-2X12-15

Lower 2:
Deadlift 1x5
Front Squat: 3-4X6-8
RDL: 2-3X10-12
Leg press: 2-3X10-12
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12

Here, everything is hit twice per week in a couple rep ranges. Your goal isn't necessarily to add as much weight to the bar as quickly as possible, but to sustain a gradual progression.
>>
>>37646409
thanks for the info m8. think I'll tweak my routine a bit
>>
>>37646207
broscience: the post
>>
I just know your DL form sucks if you didn't/don't get doms from doing a deadlift
>>
>>37645991
>thanks to SS my arms got neglected
Fucking this, and I'm starting to think my tris are more developed than my bis
I'm still dyel but fucking help me god, might just hit biceps thrice week
>>
>>37646207
>>37647203
Guy that said bro science is a retard, you literally use chest to The Press and shoulders to bench
You're supposed to do the second one of the day at like 80-90%, then switch the main one next workout
>>
>>37647813
Also, triceps are a big mover in both bench and The Press
>>
>>37647203
I dont lift: the post
>>
>>37645991

Which program did you switch to and after how much time? I don't think SS or any of the other starting programs are really working as much as they should for me.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.