[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is fasted cardio just a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: gurlbawlzakk.jpg (83 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
gurlbawlzakk.jpg
83 KB, 480x600
The sticky says it is but pro bodybuilders like Branch Warren swear by it. Martin Berkhan of LeanGains also stresses that exercise in a fasted state forces your body to burn more fat as fuel. Perhaps this engenders a broader discussion--is the sticky just a meme?
>>
>>37630715
does that girl have a nutsack?
>>
>>37630715
Yes it's a meme. So is IF, paleo, veganism, muscle confusion, anabolic window and even protein shakes.

>inb4 one of the above isn't a meme because I personally fell for it

It's not that complicated, just fucking do a non-retarder routine, don't eat like a retard, and you'll be grand.
>>
>>37630715
The sticky isnt infallible.
The thing about dieting before lifting is plain retarded, and this is stupid too.

Now pretty much all aerobic cardio burns pretty much only fat as fuel. The exception is walking, which is something that is more effective in a "fasted" (truly a catabolic) state.

Aerobic cardio increases cortisol, and fucks with gene expression to impede muscle growth and retain fat reserves, the exception is walking.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-cardio-article-period

Anaerobic cardio doesnt elevate cortisol as much, elevates test and gh, and increases gene expression for muscle growth.

The fuel for anaerobic exercise is muscle glycogen, which is replenished over time with fat reserves.

The ideal solution is to do fasted walking 30-60 min a day, to get all the benefits of aerobic cardio, with none of the detriment, then fed anaerobic exercise, such as strength training or barbell complexes or sprinting.
>>
>>37630715
You can look at doing cardio in 2 ways;

Optimize performance, thus higher calorie burn and creating a larger deficit. This is achieved by having an appropriate meal prior. This will be a more intense cardio session.

or

Optimize fat loss, marginally, by being in a fasted state and taking dietary supplements to increase fatty acid mobilization and metabolic rate.

Fasted cardio only really has benefits if you are already lean because in people with higher bodyfat percentages, bodyfat is already more readily available to be burned as fuel.
>>
>>37630753
Jim stoppani has legit research showing IF helps with leptin sensitivity, and grehlin regulation.
>>
>>37630761
P.s. You dont need to actually fast to walk in a catabolic state.
Just walk right before breakfast or 3-4 hours after eating a reasonably sized meal
>>
>>37630773
I don't give a shit. The data is so easy to fudge, and I bet there are equally as many studies saying it has no effect.
>>
>>37630763
Or do both.
Anaerobic for the first, walking for the second
>>
>Anecdotal evidence
Why is it so hard for people to understand that if something is not backed by an actually properly constrained experiment on a significant sample of test subjects, with a control group, etc, it's fucking garbage.
>>
>>37630728
gurlbawlzakk is the new boipucci
>>
>>37630715
Have you seen Branch Warren lately? Cause that is what fasted cardio will do to you.
>>
>>37630787
No, actually, the only other studies show lifting and fasting to be the two most effective ways to increase leptin sensitivity.

>Don't trust no fucking scientist, y'all motherfuckers are lyin', and gettin' me pissed
>>
>>37630728
literally the only question i had
>>
File: 1465366744163.jpg (71 KB, 927x380) Image search: [Google]
1465366744163.jpg
71 KB, 927x380
>>37630715
no it is not a meme, your muscles will take energy from fat stores if it needs to due to fat oxidation

HOWEVER you really should take BCAA before to help stop your body from using muscles as amino acids
>>
>>37630857
Broscience to the max
This is like those guys who say you have to drink OJ when you take MDMA
utter bullshit
>>
File: laughing cats.jpg (24 KB, 580x417) Image search: [Google]
laughing cats.jpg
24 KB, 580x417
>>37630797
>he thinks fat oxidation isn't backed by actual research
>>
>>37630872
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15212756
http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/body-building/how-to-avoid-a-catabolic-state.html
>bro science
>>
>>37630818
I just tried to find a peer reviewed article by Jim Stoppani about IF. Couldn't get anything on Google. Do you have a link to it.
I only found one other peer reviewed study which had inconclusive results
>>
>>37630896
>www.fitday.com
>>
>>37630875
We aren't talking about that.
This is like some guy asking if cars can go faster if you remove the windshield and you come here and say "combustion is a fact"
>>
>>37630912

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bcaas-the-many-benefits-of-amino-acids.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cortisol-and-muscle-building-does-it-even-matter.html
sorry m8 you're still BTFO
>>37630925
see my earlier post >>37630896

Do you retards think your body will get its energy outta nowhere if your muscles dont have readily available carbohydrates? in a fasted state your muscles use fat oxidation
>>
>>37630943
>www.bodybuilding.com
>>
>>37630761
>https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-best-damn-cardio-article-period
why are there no sources for anything in this article?
>>
>>37630761
Thanks a lot for this post anon.

So anaerobic is king always?
>>
>>37630715
Yes its true your body will use fat as the last source of energy. But I don't know what you are confused about. When you burn through the fat, something else is going to have to take place in order for your cells to regenerate ATP. Otherwise you experience that rigor mortis thing.
>>
>>37630943
>linking bb.com articles by Layne Norton
Jesus Christ anon

He couldn't even be bothered to cite any sources on these so called studies. Not like he would be able to present them in a way other than "BCAAs good, make you strong and lean" or put them in the proper context, anyways. He's a salesman, anon.
>>
>>37630957
>>37630980

>he doesnt realize there's citations from actual studies in there
GJ dumbass

but ill play your game
http://jap.physiology.org/content/107/3/987.short
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-2-2-63
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-4-8
>>
>>37630992
>citations
Oh sorry, I was distracted by all the ads and links to buying BCAAs.
>>
>>37630961
Always, yes.
Except walking, which doesnt even count. Just a tasty little snack, right babe?
>>
>>37630992
>journal of applied physiology
Not sure if trolling or just an idiot.
>>
>>37631040
Are there studies that back up any of what you're saying or anything in that article?
>>
>>37631024
>implying that makes the article void

There's fish oil ads when you go look at the benefits of fish oil, does that mean fish oil is BUNK?

you can buy a year's supply of BCAA for 20 bux, anyway go ahead go ahead and find a flaw in ACTUAL STUDIES I posted. Just because you think everything is bro science doesnt mean everything is

Training in a fasted state will burn more fat, HOWEVER it will also burn muscle as your body needs amino acids AKA protien when exercising (a Catatonic state) but you can help avoid this buy having some protein available. The problem is if you eat or drink anything to get BCAA's youre no longer in a real fasted state. This is where BCAA's and less so protein powders would be helpful
>>37631065
retard, you just want to be right even though you are wrong. stop nitpicking at articles when many studies back me up on my claim on BCAA's and fasted cardio

Here is another fucking article you nitwit https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-2007-972594
>>
>>37631104
>website
>>
>>37631104
...anything to get *amino acids* you're..
>>
>>37631104
>you can buy a year's supply of BCAA for 20 bux
What's a years supply? 20 servings of 5 grams?
>>
>>37631119
i:^)

so in short you have nothing to back yourself up and im right, im glad you were able to get BTFO by me today.
>>
>>37631135
>taking a shit load of BCAA just for fasted cardio in the morning
apply yourself anon
>>
>>37631139
How did he get BTFO by you?
>>
>>37631158
So you only have ~20 fasted cardio session per year and have no other applications for BCAAs?
>>
>>37631170
He didn't.
>>
>>37631178
you dont need that much BCAA just for some cardio you can just take 1-1.5 grams and last an entire year
>>37631170
>trys to call me out on broscience
>show him actual science
>nothing substantial on his side to refute me
>>
>>37631178
also you can buy a pack of 500g on a good sale, and 250g normally hovers around 20 bucks
>>
>>37631364
Provide evidence. The burden of proof is on you.
>>
>>37631364
>1-1.5 grams
>effective
What
>>
>>37631383
>>37631391
http://www.bulksupplements.com/branch-chain-amino-acids-bcaa.html

The point of the BCAA isn't for normal supplement size its for just the fasted cardio to help prevent muscles being used for amino acids, you can easily get BCAA's from other sources throughout the day

You can of course use more but the point is you CAN get a minimal years supply for 20 bucks

Anyway bye anons you're all retarded as im the only one linking actual stuff to back myself up
>>
>>37631375
Where are you getting this deal?
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 394x458) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 394x458
>>37631413
>bulksupplements.com
>>
>>37631426
the chinks at bulk supplements, you should buy it from some other supplier if you're not trying to jew for money
>>37631440
>implying I dont know they're chinks
>>
>>37630896
>A paper that is inaccessible without a subscription as to evaluate if what they say is actually meaningful or biased
>Some random blog
You sure showed me
>>
http://www.muscleforlife.com/fasted-cardio/
ignoring the shitty ads, this article had great info on the effective of fasted cardio that backs up BCAA anon
>>
>>37631446
So are they reputable or not?
>>
>>37631469
I bought creatine and BCAA from them and they were fine when I posted about them last year other anons said they were good for them too, ignore the reviews they ask you to review it afterwards with great stars for free shit.

But they're chinks so you can probably guess quality control isn't their major focus compared to keeping cost low

My BCAA's tastes like metallic trash like everyone elses'
>>37631462
:^)
>>
>>37630728
That's Ronda Rousey. So, no. Or if it is, the NSAC is doing a really shitty job.
>>
>>37630958
My thoughts exactly, and it makes some pretty unusual and bold claims

>>37630761
I think you should apply some critical thinking in what information you choose to digest
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.