[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has /fit/ ever had a true shoulder impingement? Did they actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: imp.png (51 KB, 307x298) Image search: [Google]
imp.png
51 KB, 307x298
Has /fit/ ever had a true shoulder impingement? Did they actually cure it? I have had it for 6-7 months now and it still bothers me. I need to figure out how to fix this shit once and for all. I do the shoulders down and back thing all day but idk if its really helping. I need this shit fixed so I can get back to lifting. Please help
>>
look you need to both keep the inflammation down in the shoulder joint and strengthen the rotator cuff and deltoid

800mg Advil 2-3 times daily for 5 days
take with food or protein shake
absolutely 0 gym time during this time
give the joint time to rest and heal any damage you've already caused

for lifts
keep elbows in during bench press
avoid incline bench press and incline dumbbell press
avoid sitting dumbbell press

look up proper form of standing overhead press, biggest thing is to shrug your shoulders during the movement, this provides space for the suprispinatus tendon

doing this lift properly you can build shoulder strength even with impingement

work back and do overhead press on the same day
nothing else for shoulders if u do it this way

3-4 days rest then do chest
repeat

during bench press retract your shoulder blades
this provides stability for the shoulder joint

take it slow and u can see gains

I have same shit going on this is what I did

I went from not being able to lift 5 lb above my head to OHP 135 for 4 reps 2 days ago
>>
>>37607682
>>37607830

in reply to my above comment
http://stronglifts.com/overhead-press/
follow the form described there exactly

3 sets is enough 4 too much to start
go for 8 reps each set
>>
>>37607830
>800mg Advil 2-3 times daily for 5 days
take with food or protein shake

I cant afford a therapist but I saw a ortho 1 time and he prescribed me with epidural which is like a advil on steroids. Would that work too?
>>
>>37607830
So doing proper overhead presses will fix it? I havent heard that before, interesting. And yeah benching the bar hurts my shoulder right now man. I had an MRI in april and nothing is really wrong except a bit of fluid by the biceps pulley and probably impingement. But nothing that really concerned the doctor
>>
>>37607882
I am not a physician
Look up any possible interactions with the thing he gave you and Advil
Advil is great because it will help inflammation everywhere, and is cheap as fuck
>>
>>37607830
10/10 advice
>>
>>37607906
forgot to include the part where u warm up the shoulder join on back+ shoulder say with rubber band exercises.

don't overdo the rubber band shit and don't do it with an extreme range of motion

the purpose of the band work is to lightly activate the cuff muscles

yes overhead press when done correctly will strengthen the shoulder and traps and help with posture
>>
>>37607956
Elliot hulse recomends deadlifts for that. Thoughts?
>>
>>37607971
deadlifts are fantastic for back thickness size and strength, will help posture but not an impingement injury as far as I know
>>
>>37607995
Will that dislocation stretch help? Also what about behind the neck presses?
>>
Do dead hangs OP. You're welcome.
>>
>>37608477
terrible advice
>>
>>37607682
Spend the money on a physical therapist--just one trip. They'll show you how to do these boring ass exercises with 2lb weights that will strengthen (without stressing) your stabilizer muscles.

Just do it, trust me.
>>
>>37607682
I have had shitty as fuck shoulder ROM (still do but better) as a weightlifter and my shoulders would get really fucking grumpy at times.

Hands down the best thing I've had that has helped was getting sports massage. Releasing my serratus, lats, rear delts, biceps and subscap has done tremendous things for my mobility.

Before every training session I release this through Graston (it's a massage technique and can be done with the blunt side of a butter knife) and trigger point my subscap just using my thumb. Just doing serratus and subscapularis alone will usually allow me to get my hands a few inches further back behind my head when at arms reach.

This works basically because a whole lot of muscles act over the shoulder joint and tightness from these muscles is going to pull your shoulder into a compromised position which causes impingement.

You can do all the strengthening exercises you wont and take all the anti inflammatories but it's not going to do shit if your position is compromised by tight, shitty tissue.
>>
>>37608601
>Spend the money on a physical therapist--just one trip

Any advice on finding a good physical therapist?

How do I find one who isn't a woman or a scam artist?

They seem to not know anything about lifting
>>
Yeah my shoulder used to be so bad I couldn't bench at all

I took a month or two off lifting and started doing rehab exercises
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLNCZrDLyiY
>>
File: 1448589939195.jpg (13 KB, 236x262) Image search: [Google]
1448589939195.jpg
13 KB, 236x262
Actually...yes.
Militaryfag here.
I tried to goto the hospital for it and they put me in physical therapy. They made me roll a tennis ball on a wall for a week.
I said fuck that shit and asked for a new doctor.
This colonel then said they were going to do some dry needling.
She stuck needles in my shoulder and shocked them with a tazer.
a few weeks later I was cured.

tldr; goto a physical therapist and ask for dry needling
>>
stop benching lol
>>
>>37609002
how do i into chest then
>>
>>37608601
No insurance, 1 visit would be well over 200 dollars
>>
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 221x228
>>37609401
>>
>>37609002
I havent benched in a few months. Benching the bar would give me anterior shoulder pain
>>
>>37609264
DB bench
>>
>>37609441
ikr
>>
>>37609444
your shit is inflamed, get on 800 Advil ASAP like I suggested
no lifting 1 week
>>
my shoulders are fucked

i do all sorts of exercises for shoulder health, (rotator cuff exercises, face pulls, stretches with bands, wall slides) theyve gotten better but they'll never be 100%

also you need to find out what exercises dont work for you
>>
>>37607682
Had it for over a year and a half, it is starting to cure now.

The most important things you ahve to do are:

-keep inflamation down

-learn exactly which tendon or muscle is damaged.(watch a thousand vids and read)

-learn rehab exercises and do them when your inflamation has reduced (t-nation is great)
>>
>>37608123
absolutely no behind the neck presses or lay pull downs
>>
>>37607682
wee
>>
>>37611933
why no btn presses?
>>
>>37613331
cuz
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.