[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Resources / Advice for morbidly obese men and fitness? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: 2.jpg (46 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
46 KB, 800x600
Resources / Advice for morbidly obese men and fitness?

I'm 380lbs, 27, white male, US. I want to get into a routine, but most of the strength training regimens, exercise routines, etc... seem to be geared towards men / women much smaller than I. I'm looking for some guidance.

This isn't about diet, I've already started one, but rather advice for strength training, exercise / cardio routines, stretches, etc... for extremely fat men.
>>
File: 1.jpg (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
48 KB, 800x600
>>37606461
>>
File: 3.jpg (48 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
48 KB, 800x600
>>37606463

Leaving on the wife-beater because trust me, you don't want to see what's beneath.
>>
File: 4.jpg (43 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
43 KB, 800x600
>>37606473
and last one. I've attempted a set of images that would best capture my current state.
>>
If only someone had already put together everything already. As it is, I'm feeling far too lazy to type it all up now.

Guess you're out of luck.
>>
>IIT: An accurate physical portrayal of the average poster on /fit/
>>
>>37606461
>
OP the sticky has everything
>>
>>37606461
>>37606463
>>37606473
>>37606479

I'm no expert here, but I'm gonna say compound lifts with light weight. Focus on form above all, don't worry about doing big pl8s or anything.

I'm going to guess you haven't likely touched a weight in your life, so I'm also going to assume you don't have much of a base of muscle to work with. Low weight, 3x10 sets.

Seriously guys, correct me if I'm wrong. Or should he be doing a 3 or 5x5?
>>
You can lose a shit ton of weight by just eating healthy and literally just doing a brisk walk.

But otherwise you can read the sticky and do SS or something. You don't need anything special.
>>
The good thing for you is that being so big, anything you do will burn more calories than a smaller person. I highly recommend a gym, go 5 times a week, treadmill alot, lots of water and protein. I would still do all the exercises geared toward smaller people, eventually they will become easier and easier. And while in the gym, don't give a fuck about others and what they may say or the looks they may give you. You get more credit from the fit people for being there and actually trying to fix yourself. Keep it up op. You are going in the right direction
>>
>>37606535
He's got a big frame already, so I would say he could easily handle 3x5
>>
>>37606482
This sticks to me
>>
you already started your quest op, making this thread
>>
File: party hard.gif (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
party hard.gif
1 MB, 640x360
Read the sticky. Follow the sticky
>>
>>37606574
sorry, meant 3x10
>>
>>37606567
Like this guy said op, get a gym membership and don't give a fuck about what people might think, people will respect you for just turning up and trying to make a difference. Godspeed anon.
>>
>>37606461
I don't think strength training is very important right now. Most people your weight tend to have much larger muscle mass due to having heavier limbs and such. If you want to do strength building, you need to get your body into a more flexable form, and I believe cardio is the simplest route to go. Just remember not to overexert yourself. If you want to go ham and blast out 4 hours of cardio in a day, make sure you space it out as much as you can and to stop only if you feel sick/nauseated. You may feel sick often actually you may need to push past it who knows.

Also watch the video "Habits 101" by Brian Johnson on youtube. Not exactly fitness related, but he brings up the most important points in regards to the success or failure of your undertaking.
>>
>This isn't about diet, I've already started one,

You don't start a diet. Starting a diet implies stopping this diet sometime in the future. By doing this you are setting yourself up for failure.

A lot of people start a diet that is too extreme and fail to maintain it or go back to their old ways after reaching their goal weight. Do not do that.

You change your diet. And that change is permanent, so make sure to make changes that you can live with for the rest of your life.
>>
OP here. I was always of the understanding to focus on cardio first? and weight training down the road when a significant amount of weight is lost?

I probably could not even muster a single squat with all the willpower in the world.
>>
>>37606607
Dude. You dont even need to do cardio. Just eat less.
>>
>>37606607

Fuck cardio. You lift weights, you pick them up and put them down. If you can't do a squat, do an assisted squat, or do bodyweight squats.

Like, right now. Pretend you're going to charge into somebody with your entire body, put your legs shoulder width apart, bend your knees a little and pop your butt out a little. Brace your stomach as if you're about to be hit with the hardest punch you can handle, tense those muscles up. Then, squat down. Do that right now.
>>
>>37606606
Or, yanno you could stop being a prick over syntax and give actual advice. Clearly he started doing something new and there's nothing wrong with saying "I started doing x." You're the only one implying stopping so go and fuck yaself.
>>
>>37606607
Yo, dont miss my post.
If willpower is your problem, that video is your solution.

>>37606605
>>37606605
>>37606605
>>
>>37606461
1. Your first step should be learning about dieting. Dont overdo it and go to the extreme, bc its more likely that you are gonna quit then. The sticky or a simple google search should help you. Read about calories in, calories out, macros etc.
2. Every sucessstory starts with a tought, but without a following action this thought is nothing. Like I said dont overdo it. Start with simlpe steps like only drining water, next step cut out junk food, next step start walking every evening. Bc you are morbidly obese, this little changes are going to make a big difference. Do this for some weeks.
3. A good idea is to weigh in weekly. If you dont have a scale, go and get one. You have to realize that it took your body 27 years to get to this state, so it isn't going to change in just a short time. This journey will be about a lifestyle change and if you can accept this, you will make it slowly but surely.
4. When you decide to get serious, a gym membership will help you and don't be scared. Just shut off all the anxiety and fears and go get a membership and start going 3 times a week. Again Sticky and google search will give you good beginner programms, just look that you start with light weights and don't focus too much on strenght gains.
5. The final step is tracking your nutrition. I think it is best if you start it right away, but let yourself time. No pressure, do the little changes first, go learn about nutrition, go train a little, learn your body and after some time, when the weightloss stagnates, start tracking everything you eat, and every exercise you do with an app like MyFitnessPal.

I really want to help you and that is why I say don't rush it. You are motivated now, you are digusted with your body, but when it gets 2 hard you will rationalize your disgusting behavior and relapse. Take your time and in just one year you can be a completle different person. btw. sorry for my bad english
>>
>>37606673
I wrote so much you could at least answer it you fat fuck
>>
>>37606461
I aint going to lie to you, when you diet the 1st couple of weeks sucks s your body re-learns how to use fat as energy instead of sugar and bullshit that you normally eat... it fucking sucked.

do a strength program, ss, 531, sl all of them work just fine and you need a strength program to build a decent base. I would also recommend getting a bike, it will be low impact on your knees and you will thank me later because right now just walking is fucking up your joints... ride out in 1 direction and when you get tired then turn around and force yourself to ride back, it will work.

Honestly why do you think exercise is any different for a fat person as it is for someone smaller? And I'm not talking about advanced exercises, most of /fit/ doesnt do them either, just do normal compound lifts
>>
>>37606567
>>37606601
This
>>
I'd say get some good shoes / inserts ( to prevent stress injuries / fractures in your feet ) and start walking increasing distance and pace. It won't be easy to start and if you're self conscious about it do it in the evening. At your weight just walking a mile would burn a lot of calories.

Just don't take anything to fast or you might injure yourself and be back at square one.

Best of luck!
>>
>>37606772

To add to this you are going to need lots of coco butter. Apply it 2-5 times a day. It will help dramatically with lose skin.
>>
Click that fucking dinosaur running around at the top of the front page and then READ, faggot.
>>
>>37606639
Hey thanks for the video man.

>>37606673
I read your post guy. Calm down, I had other things I was tending to. I already have a gym membership, it's part of my tuition at the local university. I've heard of MyFitnessPal, my gf uses it sometimes, so I'll definitely look into that as far as keeping track of my nutrition.
>>
>>37606461
Get fit you fat fuck
>>
>>37606860
helpful, you prick
>>
>>37606838
>My gf
Nice lie
>>
>>37606716
Hes drowning in soda and jewish semen
>>
>>37606461
>This isn't about diet, I've already started one
Doesn't look like it
>>
>>37606872
Youre welcome dumb nigger

>>37606896
Hes eating like Rich Piana
>>
>>37606882
If I could prove it, I would.

Even fat fucks like me can get laid and have LTRs. 5 years as of this month.
>>
OP here.

Can I do stretches as in here :
http://phraktured.net/starting-stretching.html

without working out? Maybe after a brisk walk in the morning? As soon as I wake up?
>>
>>37607231
Youre fat you cant do shit you loser
>>
Eat healthy. Walk everyday
Problem solved.
>>
>>37607246
>complains about fat people
>acts like a faggot to a fat guy trying to no longer be fat

Kill yourself
>>
>>37606606
*tips fedora*
>>
>>37607231
There's no law that says you can't
>>
>>37607246
>this nigga so mad
>>
>>37607246
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>37607270
>>37607294
>>37607356
Samufaggin this hardesu
>>
>>37607281
What are the law of physics and biomecanics you delusional jew
>>
Start a video blog about video games and get DDP to teach you yoga.
>>
>>37607571
Diamond Dalas Page?
>>
>>37606461
Don't worry about big lifts yet. You're better off doing high intensity cardio. Do clean and press at light weight, starting with the bar. Start with 1 min intervals, add five seconds every time, and do this every other day. It hurts, it sucks to do cardio, but you will see weight loss results, without building massive noob gains muscle to offset your weight loss.

Diet is the most important thing! Get a calorie counter like My Fitness Pal and use it! It will get you a great idea of what to aim for, diet wise.

I'm looking forward to seeing an after thread in a few months.
>>
>>37607570
I checked these laws, they say it's fine
>>
EAT LESS
GET SKINNY
BULK
GROW MUSCLE
CUT
LOOK GOOD
FOLLOW EACH OF THOSE STEPS
>>
File: 1466184111247.jpg (76 KB, 531x580) Image search: [Google]
1466184111247.jpg
76 KB, 531x580
500lb manatee requesting help too.

My left knee is starting to buckle
>>
>>37607696
Have you tried not eating so much?
>>
>>37607136
Is your gf also fat? I say this because sometimes women seem supportive about their boyfriend's weight lost journey, but secretly become more jealous. Some women prefer heavier guys because less women will date/fuck you. She doesn't need to worry about your large ass cheating on her. Cheers m8
>>
>>37607696
Go to your local zoo/amusement park and request to work as a side attraction. You might as well earn some money for destroying your life with your food addiction.
>>
why are you still here literally just get up from your computer and go for an hr long walk

no dinner tonight
>>
>>37607715
Actually, I haven't.
>>
Count your calories and macros to start. Eat high protein low carb, do low intensity cardio like cycling . Don't run. Add weight lifting in eventually .

The most important part is just getting starting . Just start slow and take your time . You don't have to kill yourself at the gym. Doesn't even have to be laboring. At the worst it would be boring IF your diet is decent (meaning you're at a deficit). Lurk and read online and you'll learn more as you go.

I learned over time and made a lot of mistakes but just sticking with it and you'll see progress.

I uses to be 100 lbs overweight . Not anymore .
>>
>>37607780
Well that's the solution.
>>
>>37607743
He could work on the main tank as the fucking whale he is
>>
>>37606535
This op

You want to do compounds because quite simply.your body.may.not.be able to handle.cardio, joint and heart wise

Start deadlifting and squatting light and like he said, focus intensely on form and lift as heavy as you can

Your body weight will make.up for the lack of weight on the.bar, and make you workout every muscle instead of just fuccboi workouts that dont

Eat 2k a day and itll melt brah
>>
>>37607696
Do exactly what anons day to this guy, theres not much of difference between a 4 or 5 hundred pound persons workout needs
>>
>>37607231
Whatever works for you man seriously, you dont NEED to bust ass at.the gym like some idiot PT will probably tell you, at your weight you should be losing almost a pound of fat a day without working out at 1500 cals, so that should be your absolute priority

If stretching gets you moving and more prepared for when you do start hitting the gym often, then absolutely go for it

But, compounds will keep you burning fat all day, preserve your muscle and leave you stronger and make it easier to carry your weight
>>
>>37606461
>ss or 5x5
>1hour walk on off days
>2000-2500 calories a day
>>
>>37606461
>>37606463
MFW you are literally me. seriosly, although my body might actually look worse.
>>
>>37607780
There ya go
>>
>>37610967
>lifting: literally doesn't matter what you do because of noob gains
>walking: do this every day. do it every time you eat if possible
>shoot for 1,200 cal/day your fatassery will naturally push it higher by lying to yourself

Extra tips: sugar-free metamucil for fiber and appetite suppression
caffeine or black coffee for appetite suppression
every time you feel hungry, remember that it's a sign of your success
>>
>>37606716
here, have this (you) and now shut the fuck up you needy cunt, if you help others just to get something back in return, you're a dickhead!
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 640x659) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 640x659
>>37606461
hey op, honestly, it does not matter much
for the first 4 months I did not go to the gym, just lost weight
then I did 2 months on machines, then 6 months of brosplit and now I'm doing 5x5
I lost 54,5kg up to today (pic related) and I gained 8-10kg lean mass at the same time. Now I'm at 16-18%bf, which is hard to estimate due to loose skin.
>>
>>37611061
oh and I don't do that much cardio, just swapped my car for a bicycle
if you are a fat fuck like you are and I was your calorie requirement is huge anyway
also, work on your mobility as soon as you can
>>
>>37606461
Go to reddit.com/r/psmf it has everything you need to know and do. It will change your live forever.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.