[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is a rowing machine good for building muscle? It looks like it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: muscle_pictures-4.png (16 KB, 439x208) Image search: [Google]
muscle_pictures-4.png
16 KB, 439x208
Is a rowing machine good for building muscle? It looks like it hits most of the major muscles in your body. Why do people mainly use it for cardio?
>>
>>37524214

Doesn't offer enough weight. Get a barbell and do bent over rows or pendlay rows if you want to build muscle.
>>
the one at my gym has a knob. All the way loose makes it effortless, and all the way cranked still isn't heavy enough to consider each stroke like a Repetition. YOu gotta do dozens of reps to get tired. Not 5x5. Or 3 sets of 12. Lol.
>>
Row machine is god tier warm up. Gets all your joints nice and lubricated. Why not just use a seated row cable machine so you can add some real resistance?
>>
>>37524214
Because its cardio. Guess what the rowing machine is made to imitate - rowing! Who would've guessed?

And that's the, get eight guys in a long skinny boat and give them oars kind of paddling. I was on a team for a year and its intense as shit cardio. Its like deadlifting for miles straight.

I mean. Do you get pissed at people not using treadmills to build leg mass, because it hits the legs so thoroughly?
>>
People use it for cardio? The one at my gym goes up to 100kg
>>
>>37524236
Forest post best post
>>
>>37524381
Theres a difference between a rowing machine and a row machine.
>>
>>37524364
I'm not arguing if it's a good machine to use for cardio, dumbass.

>Its like deadlifting for miles straight.

THIS is what I'm asking about.
>>
>>37524428
still not good for building muscle, because it focus purely on cardio you fucking dingo
>>
>>37524364
>I was on a team for a year and its intense as shit cardio. Its like deadlifting for miles straight.

I'm curious, do rowers on higher prestige teams usually end up looking like Popeye or do they work their legs too?

How often would they typically do workouts in the gym vs actual rowing workouts?
>>
>>37524428
Then use the row machine (the one at the tower) and do rows. Using the rowing machine is cardio. It'll break down muscle if you're going for long distances just like long distance running does to your legs. One thing worth considering though is using them for sprint work. So row as fast as you can for short timed intervals. Beyond that, you're not doing yourself much good in the way of muscle building.
>>
>>37524470
Common misconception. Proper rowing is ~80% legs.
>>
>>37524407

??
>>
>>37524510
so then it's not like deadlifting
>>
>>37524510
Yeah, it really hits the calves for me for some reason. Like my calves just exploded when I started doing rowing machine frequently
>>
>>37524517
Rowing machine is the one you find next to the exercise bikes, treadmills, etc at most gyms. People go to this one to do cardio. Looks like pic related.

Row machine is the one at the towers that has adjustable weight. People go to this to do resistance training often for sets of 5-12 reps or whatever.
>>
Rowing machine vs stationary bikes for cardio which is better /fit/?
>>
>>37524521
then it's exactly like deadlifting
>>
>>37524526
Try to get your heels down sooner. You're probably sliding too far forward.
>>
>>37524545
jump rope
>>
File: low row.jpg (68 KB, 740x355) Image search: [Google]
low row.jpg
68 KB, 740x355
>>37524214
A low row machine, maybe. But it will trigger less muscles than a compound barbell exercise.The rowing machine is good for cardio only.
Barbell row aka >>37524236
>bent over rows
and pendlay (a meme sub-variety) engage only the back, maybe some pecs and biceps/triceps as stabilizers.
>>
>>37524545
Masturbating with lube for 2 hours and edging. Put yourself right at the edge and work your heart rate up, but don't let yourself release. It's degenerate, but it's actually damn good cardio.
>>
>>37524493
> It'll break down muscle if you're going for long distances just like long distance running does to your legs.

orly
>>
>>37524545
>>37524555

Do burpees for 10 minutes then we can talk
>>
>>37524568
Yes. Long distance running will fuck your gains up if you do it religiously, e.g. something like 6-10 miles daily.
>>
>>37524565
I tried that before it just leaves stains on my boxers from the precum lol
>>
>>37524470
And it depended. We're in the midwest, so we'd only have a couple months to spend on the river. If it was warm ebough to be on the water without somebody getting fucked if they fell in, we were out there. But the rest of the year was daily rowing machine workouts and shitty strength training a couple days a week and running.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.