[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifting again after slipped disc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 198x255) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 198x255
Almost positive I just slipped a disc in my back just now. I was lifting a crate of free weights almost equal to 80lbs in a weird way and then I experienced a sharp pain followed by soreness in my back/left thigh. I can still walk around but it's painful. I can't bend down at all. The pain is pretty much equal to a few days after my laparoscopic appendix surgery. I'm seeing a physical therapist tomorrow morning for more information but I'm really concerned.

For those with knowledge/experience: How long will the pain last for? When will I be in the gym again? Will it be more than a week before I can start exercising other muscles in the gym? I hate taking breaks from lifting because exercise does a lot for my mental health/mood. I had to not lift for 3 weeks a few months ago after my surgery and it was torture. Plus it's summer and I don't want to lose any muscle.

I don't normally do powerlifting like squats and deadlifts anyway, just pullups and bent over rows.
>>
There have been a lot of threads like this lately. There should be an injury general.
>>
Would recommend using a weight belt.
>>
Over a year for normal functioning, if you don't do things to irritate it.
>>
>>37504177
maybe try cycling and see if that exacerbate the pain?

best not to do any actually strenuous activity until you get your back checked out.
>>
>>37504193
This is a great idea, we need to get some physical therapist anons to gather some stretch exercises and chiropractors. Along with massage therapy tips and tricks.
>>
>>37504177

Well I'd say you'll want to refrain from lifting for about I AM NOT YOUR FUCKING DOCTOR

please consult a medical professional
>>
File: cardio.jpg (264 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
cardio.jpg
264 KB, 2000x2000
>>37504177
> How long will the pain last for? When will I be in the gym again?
The only way to know for sure is MRI. After MRI doctors can evaluate your condition and prescribe you inflammatory steroids orally and if those work, have the same stuff injected straight into the slipped disc. Surgery is something which you should not even consider because of changes of paralysis and other complications.

That being said, most slipped discs heal itself in 3 months. Some do not and may cause nerve pain. If you feel nerve pain or have restless legs from now on, then congratulations, you are in risk of sudden paralysis.

Be cautious of physical therapist. Don't let them forcibly snap anything unless you both feel like there's big mechanical difference somewhere (like, the high points around your hip are pointing to different directions). Otherwise you risk making the slipped disc worse.

Changes are it's nothing too serious, but don't fuck around it. The space where the slipped disc bulges is on the territory of your nerve root, which kind of would rather not be interfered. Interference, eg touch, feels like pain in your lower leg/legs. During bulge the disc is vulnerable to slip more, which might pin down the nerve root to the wall of the space where the nerve root runs. If that happens, you need to get to ER. Luckily it's easy to notice since it's the same thing as paralysis.

Pic related, something which finds me relief from the pain. I recommend that and a fuck-lot of stretching to avoid any further damage.
>>
>>37504685

Can you ever return to lifting heavy when it's this bad?
>>
>>37504708
Yes. It's one of the things which keep me sane. Medication is not really an option since those are either narcotics or tricyclic antidepressants. I gave narcotics a try but the doses required can't keep me functioning properly.

Doctor told me that light training would be recommended to recover. That said, I do weightless back exercises in hopes of the gained muscle to help me mechanically push the slipped disc on it's place when I do stretching.

Also standing over sitting helps a fuckton. I have a standing desk which has removed most of my pain since the disc is not under constant pressure for 8 hours a day anymore.

If you want to give it a try, wet a towel in salt water and lay it over the painful area. Some say it should drain inflammation, but sounds bit like broscience to me. Might help you before you get checked at physical therapist, anyhow.
>>
This is a traumatic cause of back pain, as in you did something that caused acute back pain. If you haven't already, RICE (rest, ice, compress, and elevate) that bitch. Obviously some of these things you won't be able to do, like compression, but try your best. This will improve the long term outcome.

Because of the way you described it (lifting in an awkward position and pain radiating to the thigh) i'm inclined to say it's a slipped disc, but there is no way to know for sure without the correct physical tests and the imaging.

Make sure to not aggravate the pain but absolutely don't resort to bed rest. Continue to perform your daily activities as much as you can without causing your self too much pain. Take an NSAID to reduce the pain if it's really bad. And obviously schedule an appointment with your doctor. The PT isn't a bad idea either.

If this does turn out to be a slipped disc, depending on the degree and possible complications, you might end up just having to rest for a few months (again his doesn't mean complete inactivity) while taking a few pain meds, or you might have to undergo surgery.

Ultimately, it's what you do that determines if this becomes a lifelong issue or an injury that heals well within months. Find other things to improve your mood for now and focus on improving your long term outcome as that should be your main goal.
>>
>>37504177
>I'm really concerned.
>my mental health/mood

These are things that put you at risk for developing chronic pain. Listen, even if it is a "slipped disc" (terrible expression seeing as the disc cannot physically slip anywhere) these things heal on their own accord 90% of the time.
If you have pain radiating down your left leg, a physiotherapist will often be able to centralize your pain, making the leg symptoms go away.
Don't bother with an MRI. It's not really helpful and can actually be counterproductive.

There are two things you must do:
1) Don't worry. It'll be fine, even if it hurts like a motherfucker right now.
2) Don't stop exercising. Moving beats resting 10 times out of 10. Of course try not to actively provoke the pain, but make sure you're doing something, even if it's just going for a walk.
3) Don't worry. Yeah, I said it twice.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.