[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/running general/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
File: 1442243692715.jpg (199 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
1442243692715.jpg
199 KB, 360x450
hey /fit/ have you ever run a half marathon? What was your workout and running training?

I'm planning to run one in 3 or 4 months. Currently running 3 km, 3-4 times a week, push ups and pull ups after every run.
What should I focus my progress on, endurance on larger distances or lowering the time per km?
>>
>>37494111
Ran a half last September. I didn't have any kind of structured training though. I just tried to run 3 times a week, one 5k, one 10k, one 15k.

The race itself went well until I started cramping 18k in. Ended up with 1h50.

So, I'd say definitely focus in endurance, and don't worry about speed yet. You'll see the progress really easily with long slow runs
>>
kek half-marathons are my road to salvation after a binge weekend
>>
>>37494111
I have no structured training, I just try to run once every two or sometime three days for about 14k.
Every so often I decide to run 21k, especially after I've eaten too much for my cut.
My advice is to listen to your body, and if you are unable to run 21k then training yourself to reach that distance is more important than getting a good time.
>>
I've run a few full marathons and one half marathon.

Body weight squats and interval training/running on hills will help your speed.

For distance, run 4 days a week at 5km, run one Dat at 2.5km, then a longer run 10km, then have a test day. Do this every week and don't increase the distance more than 10% per week and eventually work up till you're running 10km everyday and 20kg on your long run. If you can't run the whole time, alternate jogging and walking - start with 6 min jog followed by a 4 min walk. Try to reach 9/1 minute intervals while training
>>
How are you guys running in this heat? just finished a 7.2K and feel like death
>>
>>37495974
Run early in the morning. It has the added satisfaction of being pretty devoid of people
>>
>>37495974
You run shirtless like every other tryhard faggot that can't run during colder hours.
>upper-body tan gains with no shirtlines
>>
File: 1462244153569.jpg (118 KB, 640x718) Image search: [Google]
1462244153569.jpg
118 KB, 640x718
>>37496121
if you cant run dead of winter then you should stay on the treadmill. during the warm summer months youll begin to love the crisp winter mornings
>>
>>37496121
I'm too still too fat for this
>>
>>37494111
>half-marathon

Let me know when you're running ultras buddy
>>
Thoughts on fitness watches?
>>
>>37496756
The info is always fun. Specifically your heart rate, pace, and route.

But i'd never use one because I run with my phone anyways cause i need that music. And i have all the info on my phone as well (+extra bluetooth HRM)
>>
>>37496821
Which app do you use? Does it need Internet? Because I'm in the country and there isn't shit for service.
>>
>>37496319
what is the purpose of this comment?
>>
Does anyonr have any practical tips for when you go running? Like, for example, where the fuck do I keep my keys? I hate how they jingle around in my poket, and I don't feel like bringing a strapbag with me, since I don't need a water bottle (little fountains all around the city)
>>
>>37497483
why do you need so many keys when you run?
>>
>>37496874
I use strava, but I think it doesn't need internet during the run itself, only to save it.
>>
>>37497490
I live in a building with a little garden on the front
>front gate
>building gate
>my door

There's no fucking reception so I can't leave them there baka
>>
>>37498275
hold them in your hands
>>
>>37497483
I hide them in the electricity box outside my flat, you could hide them under your mat or whatever
>>
>>37498444
Yeah I thought about that, but the area I live in is full of mischevious shitskins and I can see their filthy grubby hands trying to claw at my sweet loot, not gonna happen senpai
>>
I just managed to run 5k in 29 minutes
beat my previous pb of 31 minutes
at the last 500 meters I decided to grunt loudly and just fucking sprint a bit after every grunt
had to hold my lower left stomach with 1 hand because it felt like it was about to explode

I hope nobody heard me
>>
>>37498583
We have pretty much the same time breh

Can someone tell if it's good/ok? My goal would be a 10k in less than an hour, but so far I can't run more than 6k before stopping

Also, I'm a dyel faggot, I also do some light machine training a few nights a week but I have to admit that I enjoy running way more, can I keep doing it or is the "cardio is death" meme true?
>>
>>37497483
Only run with one or two keys (front door and lobby door to your apartment if you have one). Maybe put an elastic or electrical tape around them if they jingle too much.
>>
>>37498641
Well, olympic 5k is 13 minutes
>>
>>37498751
fak u
>>
File: 20151451-01-FT-XL.jpg (46 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
20151451-01-FT-XL.jpg
46 KB, 800x800
I'm running with something like pic related
I don't think they're meant for running
what should I get for 2K-5K runs (not sure if this matters, but not going for long runs)
>>
>>37494111
Yea brah I'm training for one in octomber

Curently running 5 km and 6km from tuesday to saturday and 10 km in sunday. About 35 km /week

Gonna get to around 50 km/week then start adding some speed workouts in my routine.

I'm hoping to finish it under 1:45:00 at least. It's gonna be my first half
>>
>>37496319
>ultras

Let me know when you run across the USA buddy
>>
>>37498641
You want 10k under one hour get that 5k to at least under 25 min.
>>
>>37498506
Why not get a running belt?

They may look faggy but they are great and who the fuck cares how they look

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/beltoutlet/spibelt-7.gif
>>
>>37499336
Yeah, I was thinking about something like that
Are they comfortable? I'm afraid they might feel too hot on the skin or cause itching with the sweat, I even run keeping my phone in my hand because I know that a armband would drive me crazy
>>
What's the point of running long distances? The benefits of cardio are better acquired with HIIT, marathons are just a source of oxidative stress, running itself is a lesser cardio if compared to swimming (at least, because of muh joints - no matter your attention to "proper form")

So, what are the perks of running if you ain't obese nor fleeing from a lion in with your kenyan skelly runbro? Runner highs?
>>
>>37499336
>on a imageboard
>posts a link to an image
>click said link
>Yahoo! will be right back - our engineers are working on the issue
man
>>
>>37499314
Yeah, I'll have to work on that
But first I have to make it to 10k, no matter the time - right now I'm not even close to being able to run that long
>>
>>37497483

This is what you're looking for. Go to a running shop and get some lycra running shorts.

Lycra will prevent any thigh chafing without the need for lubing them up. Zip pocket in the back for your keys. The pocket is small so your keys don't jingle around when you're running.
>>
File: spibelt-7.jpg (39 KB, 818x287) Image search: [Google]
spibelt-7.jpg
39 KB, 818x287
>>37499421
It was a ruse.
>>
>>37499407
the one I posted is pretty good and it doesn't bounce. As long as you avoid your cheap run of the mill belts you should be fine. Just do a google search
>>
>>37499428
Don't worry you will get there. My first 5k time was 32 min. 5 months later I was at 22 min 5k and 47 min 10 k

Running more helps as running longer. Didn't do much speed work
>>
Aside from really good shoes, how do I not wreck my knees on concrete.
>>
>>37499412
it's fun and challenging

Nobody runs long distance for health benefits. You can reap all the health benefits if you run 1 hour 3 days a week.
>>
>>37494111
Do one long, one medium, and two short runs a week.

Looks like:
Mon- Long
Tues- short
Wed- Rest
Thurs- medium
Fri- short
Sat&Sun- Rest

Increase your long run distance by ~.5 miles every or every other week until you get your long distance up to 10 or 11 miles. Float there until your half.
>>
>>37494111
What shoes do you all run in? I want to get a new pair.
>>
>>37497483
Now I hide my keys in my backyard grill when I run. Probably a shit hiding spot but my roommates are usually home.

Back in college I would stick my house key in my shoes or under the laces of my shoe. It never fell out surprisingly but I was too paranoid that it would
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.