[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much weight should I be lifting for the bill starr 5x5 routine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: good nigger.jpg (44 KB, 412x907) Image search: [Google]
good nigger.jpg
44 KB, 412x907
How much weight should I be lifting for the bill starr 5x5 routine to be effective/do anything at all to me?

I dont wanna waste my time with it if it wont work for me
>>
>>37492187

Its lifting fucking weights. The only way its going to be ineffective is if you don't put in the work.
>>
It tells you to work from your current maxes, what part of that is hard to understand?
>>
>>37492202

I dont think you understand.

Its a 3 days a week (with 1 day in between each session), 3 exercizes, 5 sets 5 reps routine.

If you're not putting up enough weight it wont do SHIT and so it might be more rewarding to perform a regular 8-10 exercize routine with 4x10

The fact that only the last set of each exercize is at RM makes it even less effective for low level lifting
>>
>>37492215

No shit, but I doubt that it would be worth to follow the routine if my current bp max is 60 lb.

Note that im not op, and I dont follow/know about this routine, just clarifying what OP is trying to say.

Its such a "small" routine because you're supposed to be jacking up that weight. If short routines were more effective than long ones, you'll be seeing every lazy ass that only hits the gym twice a week be more succesful than the guys who put in hard work.
>>
>>37492266

Exactly.

I doubt this routine works for skellymodes
>>
>>37492234
It's not about the total amount of weight you're lifting at any given point in time. That means NOTHING. What matters is that this number increases over time, and that's what a good routine will allow.

A person who manages to increase his bench press from the empty barbell to 135 lbs will see greater improvement than someone who comes in and benches 225 lbs but doesn't get stronger.

>>37492266
>the guys who put in hard work.
If you think 5x5 routines aren't hard work then you're got something else coming.
IN FACT, do you know why other programs have 8-10 exercises? Simple. It's because those exercises are EASIER to allow for more work to be done. It's two different ways to train (both are effective). One program focuses on few, very hard sets. The other focuses on a lot of easier sets.
>>
>>37492476

OP here.

Thanks for the clarification, however, my problem here is that I'm not feeling this routine to be particulary hard. I feel absolutely no soreness 1 or 2 hours after finishing and I dont have any major issue with the sets.

Today, I squatted max of 155 lbs. military (thought it was barbells, so used barbells) 27/2 lbs and deadlifted about 120 lbs (probably could have done more on the deadlifts) but I still barely felt the burn afterwards
>>
>>37492510
Contrary to popular belief, the "burn" or DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) are NOT an indicator of a good workout. Again, what matters is progress - That's what brings about gains.

I could have you do one thousand deadlifts, run a marathon and punch yourself in the balls. You'd probably feel pretty sore and toast. But would've it have been a productive workout? Absolutely not.

As the saying goes "Chase performance, not fatigue". Always strive to get those numbers up.

You mostly get sore when you either do a whole new exercise you're not used to or if you train too infrequenty or if you do waaaaay too much training. You CAN be sore and have had a good workout, but the soreness itself means nothing in this regard. What matters is progress.
That being said, if you don't believe in your current routine, by all means do something else. There are many ways to train and one isn't necessarily better than the other - as long as you make sure to progress.
>>
>>37492568

Again thanks for the clarification m8, good help. Knowing this, I'll keep the routine going (I've only heard miracles about this routine).

One last question: Is it bad if I ramp up the weight too much? For example I had never deadlifted before so I was pretty much experimenting with the weight, is it bad if by next week I try an increment higher than 2.5%?
>>
>>37492599
In the beginning you'll see some rapid strength increases thanks to neural adaptations, so it's natural that you may want to increase the weight slightly more than recommended. That's fine, but don't overdo it so technique suffers. And make sure you begin to slow down when it gets tougher.
>>
>>37492234
5x5 is a strength progressing set/rep range combination so literally the maximum weight you can do at 5x5

Did your mother drop you on your head when you were little?
>>
>>37492750

Only the last rep is the maximum weight. This is explicitly stated in the routine page.

And it has already been clarified, but what that person meant (a valid concern if you ask me) was that the routine wouldn't be effective if the person was very weak.

Like maybe a skeleton will have trouble with a set of bench press on the bar alone, is he at repmax? Yeah he is. Does that means its heavy? No of course not, its not heavy, the guy is just weak af.

Tl;dr he was asking if the routine would work for weak people or if it was better reserved for powerlifters
>>
>>37492750

>Did your mother drop you on your head when you were little?

Ironic.

Its pretty simple anon. They were just asking if low weight (in general, not relative) would work well for the routine.

This routine is listed as an "intermediate" routine, so its natural for people to ask if beginners can do it too and take full advantage of it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.