[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you convey the correct squatting technique/philosophy in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: x8hsYfH.jpg (3 MB, 4896x3264) Image search: [Google]
x8hsYfH.jpg
3 MB, 4896x3264
Can you convey the correct squatting technique/philosophy in one paragraph? I still can't get it right
>>
sit down
>>
>>37485515
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-8gsWZqDBM
>>
I think the biggest mistake some people make when they can't figure out the squat at all, is that they haven't understood that you're supposed to sit down BETWEEN your legs rather than on top of them. Your body should sort of slide down like a hammock between your thighs.
Practice that.

You can do quadruped rocking (Google it) to find out what stance is best for you.

And add an anterior load (goblet squat for example) to make it easier to keep a somewhat upright torso in the beginning.
>>
>>37485703
>I think the biggest mistake some people make when they can't figure out the squat at all, is that they haven't understood that you're supposed to sit down BETWEEN your legs rather than on top of them.

This is exactly the type of thinking I was hoping to hear. think I have a better understanding alredy
>>
High Bar:
Clench your shoulderblades together to form a base for which the bar will rest. Put the bar on the base, and step out of the rack.

Descending:
Toes pointing a little outwards, shoulder width more or less(depending on what you find the most comfortable), fill your lungs with air and brace as if someones gonna hit you in the belly. Break at the knees and hips at the same time, and let your hips fall down in between your feet. Make sure you're sitting down as far as you can, with the weight collected mid foot.
Your elbows should not point too far backwards, nor should they be pointing too downwards. Your knees should point outwards, in the same direction as your toes.

COMMON ISSUES:

Tight hamstrings. Makes keeping a straight back and a tight core harder, as it "pulls" the butt downwards forming a rounded back. Stretch them.

Tight hips. Not being able to open up, and, sit down in a comfortable, natural looking manner. May be caused by this.

Trouble keeping chest up. Might be cause by either
a) Weak back or poor bracing
b) Tight shoulders or chest.
Either way you should stretch your shoulders and back loads.

Poor control: You're either weak or your stance is too wide/too narrow. Too narrow might shift the weight forward as descending with a stance too narrow keeps the hips too far behind you. You want the weight to be over the middle of your foot.
This is short of what i've learned through the few years of lifting, im no expert but i know a little.
>>
File: 1311252181921.jpg (58 KB, 317x317) Image search: [Google]
1311252181921.jpg
58 KB, 317x317
>>37485538
thanks comrade
>>
>>37485703
>sit down BETWEEN your legs rather than on top of them.

EXACTLY, but i word it slightly differently

>Between your hips, not behind them
>>
>>37485515

1) Squat down as if to jump as high as you can
2) Except don't jump, stay in bottom of squat
3) From there, without standing, shift weight onto one leg to get yourself into a pistol squat position
4) Hang out there for 30 seconds

What most non-athletes will learn is that they can't do it, flexibility sucks etc. Its a cheap lesson on how much mobility (open hips, outward knee angle, forward knee travel etc) is required to squat optimally.

If someone can't pistol squat after a good warm up its highly likely they are not going to be squatting optimally.

Suggest addressing this early on, and not leaving it until the subject gets into regular habit of progressively overloading half/quarter squats etc.
>>
>>37485515
ass to grass
>>
File: eb2.jpg (34 KB, 320x220) Image search: [Google]
eb2.jpg
34 KB, 320x220
Do you retards even know what a paragraph is?
>>
>>37486287
Do you know how much practice and information a dyel/noob needs in order to squat properly?
>>
>>37486270
>Squat down as if to jump as high as you can
shit i think you might be a genius
>>
File: master_cue.png (229 KB, 533x769) Image search: [Google]
master_cue.png
229 KB, 533x769
>For the squat, you do this by constructing a mental image of an actual slot in the air for the
>bar to travel within. Visualize this narrow slot over the mid-foot, extending up into the air above
>you. Then visualize the bar traveling within this slot.
I always found this advice to be very interesting and helpful. Strangely, I never see anyone recommending it.

It's in SS.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.