[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Power cleans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: goofy wait a sec.png (84 KB, 299x288) Image search: [Google]
goofy wait a sec.png
84 KB, 299x288
Power cleans are listed in the SS program but I've met a powerlifter bro at the gym who says to avoid them for beginners because it's a very technical lift and even most olympic powerlifters need to train a lot to get them right.

Did Rippletits trick me again?
>>
>Olympic power lifters
>>
>>37472950
I don't understand the benefit of doing cleans unless you are training specifically for a power clean event
>>
>>37472975
They're fun af
>>
>>37472959
>Olympic power lifters
Sorry, I wasn't aware that there's a difference.
Forget about the "olympic" part then

>>37472975
>I don't understand the benefit of doing cleans
They are responsible for upper core strength in the SS program I think
>>
Yea, god forbid you have to do something requiring the least bit of coordination.

Just do it, yea it'll take a long time to get it even close to right but once you do they're fucking awesome. Watch many videos on proper form, film yourself every time, and adjust as necessary. It's worth it.
>>
>>37473002
I would just do planks or weighted planks for core strength. But thats just me, I never did ss. As long as you don't hurt yourself or try too much weight it shouldnt really matter
>>
>>37473002
>>37473045

Good god no, cleans are not abdominal exercises. Notice how nothing else in SS really works upper back? That's cleans/rows.
>>
>>37472950
1. the power clean is not a technical lift. start basically any sport and they'll have you doing shit that's way more technical than a power clean.
2. getting stronger on the other exercises won't do shit to prepare you for power cleans. you'll still be a beginner to the power clean no matter how many years you've trained the other exercises.
3. you do need to train to get them right, which is why you should start today and not in 3 years.
4. the injury potential is almost zero because you'll be using babby weights for a long time.
>>
>>37472950
Do them. Avoid the most common beginner mistake of pulling the weight up with your arms, and you'll already be better than most that try. Your arms are basically tethers, they just hoist the weight as it is pulled up by the inertia provided by the TRIPLE EXTENSION: legs pressing against ground, hips thrust forward, upper back shrugging up.
>>
>>37472950
Power cleans are useless if your goal is powerlifting, hence why no powerlifting specific programm uses them.
It is good for explosive strength and for football players(which ss was initially meant for).
>>
>>37473002
No, you wanna forget the "power" part.
>>
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 564x704) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 564x704
>>37472959
>>
>>37473033
Yeah, I'd like to do them but I don't want to fuck them up. Relearning proper technique will be too tedious.
I'm seriously considering to join a powerlifting club to learn the proper execution from a trainer.

>>37473045
>>37473066
>core strength
>abdominal
pls don't confuse these

>>37473085
>2. getting stronger on the other exercises won't do shit to prepare you for power cleans. you'll still be a beginner to the power clean no matter how many years you've trained the other exercises.
Maybe you're right here. That would explain why the powerlifting dude said that he still struggles to do them, he just never practised.

>>37473085
>4. the injury potential is almost zero because you'll be using babby weights for a long time.
Thanks, I guess you're right. I'm always afraid to fuck up my health through improper execution but I haven't considered the low weight of the powerclean
>>
>>37473143
Yeah, I've seen the Rippletits video.
It's a bit tough to spot the small mistakes when working out alone though.

> upper back shrugging up
I struggle with this. Will rows make it better?
I'm a beginner and first need to get my deadlift right anyway and build some basic strength, so I could do rows now and switch to power cleans later?

>>37473149
>It is good for explosive strength
Perfect, I'm thinking about doing martial arts anyway.

>>37473170
>No, you wanna forget the "power" part.
The greek gods have called and want their edgy jokes back :---D
>>
>>37472950
Just do them. Only dyels and fat powerlifters don't do them because they aren't mobile enough to do them correctly.

Also it's always dyels saying you need an oly coach to do them.
>>
>>37473351
>Just do them.
Ok, I'll go and do them early on saturday morning so no one sees my cringy struggle.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.