[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: T20WUDXo4aXXXXXXXX_!!690770207.jpg (344 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
T20WUDXo4aXXXXXXXX_!!690770207.jpg
344 KB, 800x800
Who ruck here?

I carry about 17.5KG in a military grade backpack and walk and such.

I read they tested rucking vs running in troops of soldiers and found that the ruckers were fitter for running than those who ran!

My question is, how much weight is safe to carry on your back? Anyone have much experience with this?

Cheers
>>
>>37470896
Fuuuuuuugg this is that shit I've been dying to read. Imma go find a rucksack asap and get on my walking grind.

I've never been good at running (asthma & bad form) and whenever I start getting good I can never keep up consistency cause I'm an asshole.

But walking? I can walk.

>mfw walking my way to making it

Ps - 20-50lbs seems to be your safest bet
>>
50lbs is safe, anything beyond that could fuck you up if you do it for too long, even though it wasn't uncommon to carry up to 100lbs when I was in the service.
>>
>>37470896
>that autist running in the park with military gear

I bet grills mirin hard
>>
i did 34miles with a 80lb pack in 10hrs, im fine.

just build a progression from 35lbs up to 65, increasing weekly.

and get an old us army ALICE frame pack with the tactical tailor straps and kidney pad if your serious.
>>
>>37470896
17.5 kg is not really a ruck desu lad that's what I have on me doing section attacks. 30 kg is what you should start training with once you've condidioned yourself to it.
I recently had to ruck 20k across mountians with a 40kg pack, took 4 and a half hours. So 40kg is safe some guys had 50kg and they were ok bar being exhausted.
>>
Most military come home with knee problems due to this.

The military chews people up, uses them, and spits them out.
>>
>>37470972
You don't need to be in "military gear" just get a sturdy backpack

I just bought a milsurplus Alice pack for like 30$ sturdiness backpack I've ever seen. For 2 miles for time I do 50lbs or a pound or two away from that. Longer distances like 6,8, and 12 I do the basic 35lbs. As long as you don't do too much too often I think it's fine. Decent shoulder and back gains, also good for endurance and cardio.

A good pace is 13-14 mins a mile.
>>
>>37471019
Not being pog masterrace. Signing up to be infantry so you can hang your blue cord on your rear view mirror.
>>
>>37470972

I'm new here but everyone seems to be obsessed with autism, is this place for autists?
>>
File: camocamo.jpg (185 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
camocamo.jpg
185 KB, 500x750
>>37470896
>My question is, how much weight is safe to carry on your back? Anyone have much experience with this?

Depends a lot. In the military my equiptment was usually as below:

Bulletproof kevlar with ceramic plates 16kg

Helmet 1 kg

Combat vest (full) 15 kg

Assault rifle (full) 4,5 kg

Backpack 10 kg (or more, depending on what I was packing it for. Food, water, ammo, medical supplies, explosives et cetera)

Assorted shit I needed 2-5 kg (or 10-30 kg if I was in heavy assault gear and was carrying mines or AT weapons)

That was worn every day for most of the day since I was a light infantry platoon leader, spending long as fuck times innawoods with little access to any supplies (food, water, medical, ammo). You get used to it and learn to wear it just fine. The people who can't handle the weight drop out real fast. In the winter the extra gear is a comfort since it keeps you warm as well and shields you from external moisture, bruising and impacts you get when rollin through rough terran to a degree.
>>
>>37471110
>light infantry

what country? usually light infantry have difficult as fuck training
>>
>>37471139

Finland. The summer is quite easy IMO, winter is the real hard part. It can get retarded cold in the eastern and northern parts of the country sometimes.
>>
Old coach used to make me run the track with a 100 pound sandbag on my back, i ended up being able to keep a consistence running pace for 30 minutes before i fatigued
>>
>>37470896
just saw a dude doing this outside my office. if you do it make sure to keep your form/posture right, otherwise you're not doing yourself any favors and you also look retardo
>>
how and what do you guys load the backpack with to get the exact weight? do you just toss in some dumbbell plates?
>>
>>37471075
yes
>>
just did my first ruck 12k in 1hr50min with 35lbs last week. All up and down hills

Halfway through my groin started hurting where my leg connects to my adonis area so i had to stop running as often but still toughed it out towards the end.
>>
Tabbing can suck a fucking dick.

Literally no benefit to the body what so ever.
>>
File: exploding.png (329 KB, 384x800) Image search: [Google]
exploding.png
329 KB, 384x800
>>37470896
>>37471019
>>
>>37470896
>My question is, how much weight is safe to carry on your back? Anyone have much experience with this?

I guess it's individual. Based on body mass and (more importantly) height+walking posture.

If you're tall and lanky with bad walking posture, then you are should be rucking a smaller percentage of your LBM than someone of the same LBM who is shorter and/or with an efficient walking posture.

I guess you can go off of how you feel it affects your joints and spine. And if you feel DOMS on your lower back/kidney area then you shouldn't up the weight until you fix your walking posture. Be it bigger or smaller steps. Or getting better quality boots.

Nothing fucks you up more than shitty old boots that change the way you walk without even noticing.

What do you use for weight, OP? I used to use sand but now I use wet mud inside a vacuum sheet. Saves space.
>>
>>37470896
>ruckers were fitter for running than those who ran!
This has to be bullshit.
>>
>>37471145
>Finland mentioned
:DDDDDDD
>>
File: Finland says hi.png (93 KB, 640x605) Image search: [Google]
Finland says hi.png
93 KB, 640x605
>>37471481
>>
>>37471427
Idk man, the only time I ever came close to maxing the run (ran a 13:06) was after a month of training in which we rucked fucking everywhere. I even went to this training two months after being diagnosed with stress fractures on my shins, came out of it with a faster run time than ever before or after.
>>
>>37471232
If you're running, you're doing it wrong.

Walking with weight is fine; it's the running that destroys you.
>>
>>37471213
Yes
>>
File: 1458610900919.jpg (63 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1458610900919.jpg
63 KB, 500x375
>>37471616
I was amazed, there was this guy always just ahead of me. Big bearfat Master Sgt just walking.

I would run ahead of him then walk after 1/2 mile and he'd come out of nowhere like fucking Micheal Myers walking right past me.

Rucking makes strong serial killer strides desu senpai
>>
>>37471616
This. Avoid running while rucking at all costs. Always just try to "walk fast". I only do small sprints and almost never while doing a heavy ruck to make time, beat records ya'know. But if I can avoid it I would.
>>
>>37470896
I think walking is OK for the most part but running with heavy loads will fuck your joints up big time

>tfw I'll be military soon as well
I don't want to get fucked for the rest of my life bros
>>
>>37471616
This. Although walking with weight on a hard surface/concrete etc. Can be bad too.
>>
>>37471776
Don, you're going to hate Korea. Trust me.
>>
>>37471075
welcome a board
>>
>going from 120 kg to 85 kg so now I can run without killing my joints
>people add weight on purpose.

autists I tell you
>>
I was a MP for 5 1/2 years and my left knee is completely fucked :(

Thank you NAVY
>>
DO NOT RUCK

IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO
>>
>>37472022
aboard
>>
rucking is a meme and bad for your joints, you'd be a complete retard to voluntarily do this
>>
If you're going to ruck get an actual ruck with a frame, military style Alice or molle will work but I'd recommend you just get a nice civilian pack. Don't run with the weight and there's no reason to go over 45-50lbs with training weight.
>>
File: ug.jpg (9 KB, 78x96) Image search: [Google]
ug.jpg
9 KB, 78x96
>intentionally fucking up your knees and back

wow so cool
>>
>>37472061

>In navy
>MP
>Not MA

Son, I...
>>
>>37471019
Nigga I worked on fiber optics for four years in the military and came out to a 80k a year job. Three years later I'm earning 100k a year laying fiber optic lines with no health issues.

If you pick a good job you can get some valuable skills that give you a higher earning potential than most bachelors.
>>
hnnnnnnggggg this thread.

The army calls this tabbing (TAB= Tactical Advance to Battle), as I'm currently in the recruitment stage of joining army (British) I've been doing a ton of this.

Fortunately I'm really good at it, whereas I'm terrible at running, I've done a lot of hiking and backpacking before, I'm currently doing a 6 mile beach tab, the shingle and sand makes it a lot harder, in boots with a 30kg ruck, currently around the 2 hour mark but I know I can get that down to 1:45 with more effort.

>How much is safe to carry

If you're running, I wouldn't recommend exceeding 20kg, even so it should be something you work up to over a period of months, otherwise you really can hurt yourself, my programme states that if you do wish to do ruck running, you should start with 5kg, and stay like that for 4 weeks, before moving up to 10, then 15 and so on.

If it's hiking, then I think you're okay up to 50kg until you enter genuine injury-risk area, on the assumption that you aren't an athlete, individual experiences may vary.
>>
>>37472078
no, this is a board, check the url
>>
>>37472203
I bet you sit on /fit/ all day and quote people while posting reaction images.
>>
>>37470896
i had to do this for the military with 40kg iirc, was pretty heavy but its one of those things where you can easily push through the pain and keep going, tricky part is making sure you dont get any injuries.
>>
>>37472647
Kekd
>>
>>37471075
>new
>uses 'autist', a nonexistent word only used in threads here
Pick one
>>
What do you guys fill your rucksack with?
>>
>>37470960

>carry up to 100lbs

Sure grandpa
>>
>>37470896
Rule of thumb: 1/4th of your BW is your starting limit.
>>
>>37472647
good post friend
>>
>>37471016
I think you're full of shit. Tell me MOS and duty station.
>>
>>37472061
>MP
>Navy
>Ruck

GTFO.
>>
>>37470896
rucking is a HIIT workout opposed to long distance running.

This is achieved because of the heavy workload added to the human body, most ruckers have a brisk walk which works out every muscle in the legs. add in back strength due to holding the ruck.

half your body weight is safe to ruck with, do not do combat loads like soldiers if you aren't a soldier and haven't trained for it.
It's silly and can cause a lot of damage over time to your body.
half the body weight, usually less.

on non combat-load days of rucking I would do 85lbs.
>>
>>37473286
Read thread.

Some m8s use sand. I just use dumbbell plates.

If you are using plates make sure to towel wrap them. You don't want them jangling around!
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.