[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does the gym seem so intimidating?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
So here lately I've been wanting to go a this gym down the street but it's a scary thought. I feel like when I walk into those doors there will be so much going on a it will be overwhelming. I no clue where to even start.
>>
I'm trying to build mass if that helps. Where should I begin? I have no friends with this interest and i'm not very social but I know i want to better my health. I don't have the money for a personal trainer either.
>>
>>37463636
First thing you'll learn after walking through those doors is that nobody gives a fuck. Seriously I doubt anybody will even notice you.
>>
>>37463670
Are you sure? I've read whole threads about how much people hate new people who get in there way.
>>
>>37463706
Dude. Just like literally ANYTHING in life, if you're too much of a puss to be bad at something you're never going to be good at anything.

Man up, READ THE STICKY YOU DENSE FUCK, and go to the gym.
>>
the gym is kind of like prison: you'll probably get raped.
>>
>>37463636
Lurk on fit, gain KNAWLEDGE, then head to the gym starting next week.
Atleast you're giving it a thought man, I wanna see where you'll progress some of us believe in dyels to make better of themselves, going to the gym would also help your fear of going. You gotta face your fear to conquer it.
- That pennywise clown movie
>>
>>37463940
Hell yeah man, I've been looking up good routine for a virgo like me, I'm gonna to go next week when I finally get some time off of work. You've been the most helpful.
>>
>>37463965
Do you speak spanish by any chance?
>>
>>37463636
you dont have to focus on everything going on, just on your routine and waiting on whoever is using the equipment you need for your routine

no one will really bother you or bully you or whatever, that kind of behavior gets you kicked out of gyms
>>
Hit up the sauna after an intense cardio session. Do this for 4 days straight. Post gains after
>>
You can probably ask people questions there and most likely get a good response.
>>
>>37463636
SS OR SL
>>
>>37463636
>Why does the gym seem so intimidating?
Because you're insecure
That's literally the only reason
>>
>>37463636
It will seem overwhelming being a around other people more bigger and fit than you but remember that no one gives a shit. They are there to workout same as you, you think everyone will stare the moment you walk in?
>>
>>37464047
hola supermercado de la bancos por aqui
>>
File: 1465215194524.jpg (234 KB, 1027x1228) Image search: [Google]
1465215194524.jpg
234 KB, 1027x1228
>>37463636
>it's a scary thought
Welcome to the world of manhood.

Everywhere you go, you're being sized up. Especially where guys go to get stronger and bigger.

Welcome to the pecking order. If you don't like it, stay home.
>>
What do if you're too poor to go to gym?
>>
>>37470123
Calisthenics. Run.
>>
>>37463877
This guy gets it. OP see here for correct answer.
>>
>>37470133
Thanks, now all I need to do is stop being a lazy and insecure faggot.
>>
>>37463636
That's the feeling of broading your comfort zone. I've had social anxiety my whole life and I managed to do it. The lifting has helped a lot. I'm way less anxious now.
>>
After going for a couple weeks you'll lose that feeling of anxiety. It's like starting a new job or going to a new school. You have to start in order to become comfortable tho
>>
>>37463706

Getting in the way is different than just being the new guy.

Have a routine planned out before you go and know how to vary it if the machine, weight or bench you want to use is being used so that you can do a different routine or machine while you wait in such a way that you don't work the same muscles two routines in a row.

Keep to yourself like you do in any other public setting. No body want to talk to anybody while working out (except the old dudes who want to bitch about Bernie).

If you go about your biz and are serious about getting into shape, everyone will be fine with you, even if you accidentally work into someone's routine.
>>
>>37463636
You should try bodyweight exercises you won't need a gym newbie
>>
>>37463636
I'm in the same boat as you op, I would recommend asking your gym if they provide starting programs, they help out alot.
>>
>tfw want to go to gym so bad but dont because I know that somebody is going to make fun of me either because of the low weights or just because I might look funny since I live in easter european shithole and only the lowest of the low and people with huge egos go there.
>>
>>37463636

Start by reading SS.

Then go to the squat rack and get to work.
>>
>>37463706
>I've read whole threads about how much people hate new people who get in there way.
this is 4chan, you do realise that? Nobody was born with a barbell in their hands
>>
File: very nice.jpg (21 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
very nice.jpg
21 KB, 570x570
>>37471979
I'm literally a fucking manlet doing babby's weights in eastern europe
stop being a bitch
>>
>>37471979
>I over think the act of lifting things and putting them down
Literally no one ducking cares what you lift. That shot is all in your head dude.
>>
>>37471979
It's your ego that's the problem, mate. Why does it matter what others think of you?
>>
>>37472026
and so am i (5'9~)but I have really faggy face and anxiety.
>>37472057
i have been embarrassed way too many times by this lie to believe it
>>
>>37471281
My favourite meme
>>
>>37472093
>yeah it totally doesn't matter bro!just be yourself !!!1!!1!
>>
>>37463636
Felt the same bro.
It's intimidating to do something you've never done before between people who may have had years of training but that's pretty much how anything outside of school and college works.
The good thing is, as soon as you actually finish your workout you'll feel pretty much insta confidence so the only scary thing is walking into the gym the first 2-3 times.
You'll get used to it fast and don't give a shit about everyone around you.

It's kinda like asking a girl out, you're scared as fuck before but you're happy when you've done it. The good thing about the gym is: it can't break your heart.

Godspeed, Anon
>>
>>37472099
>i have been embarrassed way too many times by this lie to believe it

If you have proper form and not-autist gym etiquette, 99% of people aren't gonna bother you. The worst thing you'll encounter is some roided fucker who stares at himself in a mirror for 40 minutes at a time, like a confused pet bird, before leaving. Namely because when you're smol and new, they're scary looking.

Most people at the gym don't give a shit about you, or if they do, it's usually positive if you're trying to better yourself. I can only make a sweeping assumption that this is true independent of cultures at not-shit gyms run by a clique of gorillas.

If you have that much social anxiety then just buy some weights for at-home like I did. You can make some serious gains on just cheap dumbbells alone before you find that you need a bar/rack and all the other equipment.
>>
>>37472135
>The good thing about the gym is: it can't break your heart.

wrong
>>
>>37472099
5'7'' here, despite not being an underage b& I look like a 15y/o (talking bout face, height would be obvious)
>i have been embarrassed way too many times by this lie to believe it
bullshit, I once acted like a retard, I couldn't adjust a machine properly (it was nowhere near complicated), so I just asked a dude how to do it
he came there, adjusted it, i said thanks and then he returned to his dumbbels, because guess what
he cares much more about his workout than about a random dude
>>
File: 1465218380466.jpg (316 KB, 1536x1536) Image search: [Google]
1465218380466.jpg
316 KB, 1536x1536
>TFW staring while laughing at new guys, regardless of how well they're doing as first timers
>TFW Asking beginners when they're done ohping 60kg in the squat rack (who would squat 60kg?)
>TFW Recording beginners as they wobble and look awkward as fuck doing the most mundane shit like a bicep curl, and share it with my brahs
>TFW standing behind skeletons flexing my arms as they do bicep curls towering over their malnourished tiny frames
>TFW Grunting loud as i bury a heavy 5pl8 squat just to intimidate potential beginners in my gym, same goes for deadlifts
>TFW intentionally talk to my brahs about how all adult males should be able to squat 2pl8, knowing full well there are skeles in my gym who are considered "adult" that cant do it, just to make them feel bad
>TFW pushing them away from the water fountain claiming i didnt see them

Feels good to not be an autist skeleton enabler like you faggots, never gonna make it.

>omg your so mean!!! EVERYONE starts somewhere

LMAO @ wanting to increase competition
>>
>>37472188
If op believes this post he doesnt deserve to squat 2pl8
>>
>>37472178
how did your gym break your heart?
>>
>>37472188
LMAO BRUH

>TFW spotting a skele doing 1pl8 1rm (Kek)
>he struggles
>he "grunts" trying to act tough i assume
>anyways he fails, and he holds the bar on his chest struggling to breathe
>I let it be there for a good 10 seconds before i curl it off him
>"T-thanks dude"
>NP BRAH HIT ME UP FOR THE NEXT SET

Fucking lol at new lifters bro
>>
File: devilis_pepe_hellfire_animated.gif (2 MB, 425x481) Image search: [Google]
devilis_pepe_hellfire_animated.gif
2 MB, 425x481
>>37472188
seriously though, no one does stuff like that, OP.
>>
>>37471979
If anything they would be glad that a pussy like you is actually lifting
>>
>>37472188
> pushing them away from the water fountain claiming i didnt see them

how would you even pretend you didn't see them. just walk into them?
>>
>>37472271
yea basically, and because they weigh less than 1pl8 they just get pushed away
>>
you and me both OP

i nearly never go to the gym at like 1,2 hours before it closes in the evening
>>
>>37472302
Yea you better, you wouldnt want to meet a gym alpha like me
>>
>>37472302
I go at 1am t b h. Not because I'm embarrassed but because I hate everyone there and you're guaranteed to get the equipment you want.
>>
>>37472362
kek
nah man, keeps me from actually going 3 times a week, instead i go like twice a week if ever
got to get my skinnyfat ass up and go 3 weeks goddamnit
>>
If you don't like having too many people in the gym at the same time, go at 8am. Few people will be there, everyone will be able to use any equipment they want and because of that no one will even notice you awkwardly walking around. Now stop being a faggot.
>>
File: Intrigue.png (62 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Intrigue.png
62 KB, 320x180
>>37472178
>>
Step 1: Find a beginner's routine and watch videos for each exercise in it that demonstrates form
Step 2: Go to a gym wearing gym shorts, a t-shirt, and athletic shoes. Don't bring a shaker and don't wear a hat.
Step 3: Be awkward for the first few days as you perfect your form and figure out what your working weight is
Step 4: All of your nervousness will go away because you realize a few things: Everyone at the gym cares as little about what you're doing as you do about what they're doing. For those who do care about what your doing, they'll either A) keep it to themselves, so who gives a fuck, or B) they'll come up to you and laugh at you, at which point you can safely assume they have the IQ of a soggy muffin and that the gym is the only place where they feel comfortable with themselves.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.