[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's with the obsession over "meal prep" lately?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: 1465232454394.jpg (171 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
1465232454394.jpg
171 KB, 620x400
what's with the obsession over "meal prep" lately? shit seems autistic to me.
>>
>>37458636
bodybuilders have ocd
it's perfect for them
>>
>i could spend 45 minutes cooking some chicken, beans, and veggies every afternoon for lunch
>or i could spend 45 minutes every Sunday afternoon cooking 7 servings of chicken, beans, and veggies, so I have instant lunch all week
meal prep
>>
>>37458636
>I live alone
>I could make each meal individually and throw out half of the produce I buy because I can't buy half a head of broccoli
>Or I could cook it all at once
>Freeze or store the prepared meal
>And eat all the food I buy instead of throwing a shit ton out

Clearly autism
>>
>>37458693
>>37458666
This. Even if you aren't /fit/ meal prep makes perfect sense. If you're a busy person meal prep saves you at least 25 minutes each day for an hour of work on a Sunday. It also saves a shit ton of money.
>>
>>37458693
What's living alone like? I feel like I'd need at least a dog or I'd go insane
>>
>>37458776
I think what >>37458693 posted is true for a two person household and I know many parents who do this too. Personally, I am not cooking more than once a day. It's just too much work. I will invest time and energy into cooking a good meal once a day and people can take the leftovers to work or whatever the next day for lunch.
>>
>>37458754
But how do I cope with the fact that I only have half of a small freezer drawer and of a small fridge?
I thought about buying a big freezer but the thought that the tupperwares wouldn't perfectly fit in all three spatial axes frightens me.
>>
>>37458830
>being this autistic
build an icebox :^)
>>
Does chicken last 7 days in the fridge or do i need to put it in freezer?
Usually cooking once a day but could take those 6 hours a week for something Else.
>>
>>37458845
Thanks, I learned today what an icebox is.

Unfortunately it's true that I don't have the storage capacity. Otherwise it would be great. You could cook a large amount with perfect attention to every detail, create portions with completely determined nutrients, and eat them whenever. Pretty sweet considering that eating itself already is such a huge time sink.
>>
>>37458776
its ok if you fuck a lot. have people over every couple of days. otherwise, yeah quick descent into depression on my end
>>
>>37458636
>lately
>>
>>37458776
I love it, but I've always need my personal space. If you get lonely then go out. I do have a dog, best roommate ever.

>>37458830
I use a vacuum saver. It helps store the food in the most space efficient way. It also helps it stay fresh longer.
>>
>>37458693
You could just blanche then freeze the produce you know
Meats and grains taste better freshly made
>>
>>37458830
>t how do I cope with the fact that I only have half of a small freezer drawer and of a small fridge?
prep for 3 days
prep again for 3 days
and then again prep for 3 days

better than cooking every single day (unless actually /ck/ it's your hobby)
>>
>>37458866
Answer me
>>
>>37458666
>>37458693
Whats a good quick meal for meal prep? I'm a lazy fat-ass who's trying to get /fit/, so having all my food ready to grab would break the lure of quick shit food that I have around the flat.
I love chicken, if thats an idea.
>>
>>37461022
inb4 you grab all the food at once and eat 7 days worth of meals in 2
Stop being lazy fatty
>>
>>37461022
chicken
quinoa
kale
>>
>>37460936
Might as well buy frozen meats and veggies then. One cooking session creates 3-15 meals. Less when making a dish in a frying pan and more when making a slow cooker meal. I tend to only freeze if I have more than three meals made and often after 5+. It also saves a ton of time to heat up a frozen meal vs making a new one and is still way better than store bought premade meals so deal with it.
>>
>>37461047
Nah its just the preparation that makes me lazy after I come home from work.
I've been eating much smaller portions for a while now which helps.
>>
>>37461076
>Might as well buy frozen meats and veggies then

You don't?
>>
>>37461076
>so deal with it.

Lmao I'm not the one who has to deal with it eat mushy flavourless reheated crap every day cause I'm too lazy
>>
>>37458866
cooked chicken 3-4 days max
>>
>>37458666
But doesn't the chicken taste disgusting after day 3? Aren't all the vegetables wilted by day 2? How could you even eat the food on day 7?
>>
>you can take lots of time making a meal everyday
Vs
>you can use te same amount of time to make one huge meal which you can eat over the span of several days
Hurr durr. Only an idiot would pick the first option. However, I doend an entire day making an entire months of meals. It's enjoyable and sll I have to do is microwave it later for an i stant meal that was delicious but alsi cheap as fuck.
>>
>>37458636
old food tastes like shit. it's enough that I have to eat yoga mat chicken every day, eating it almost moldy would guaranteed make me finally blow my brains out. rather spend 30min în the kitchen and have warm fresh grilled chicken.
>>
>>37461244

Check out the youtube channel fitmencook,

Since I found it it has been a game changer for in in terms of variety of my meals and new recipes and he has lots of good stuff on meal prep and how to make reheated chicken not taste like death.

Thank me later desu.
>>
>>37461271
>Only an idiot would pick the first option.

Or someone whose taste buds aren't completely dead
>>
>>37461513
Or someone who has spoiled their taste receptors and rewards themselves with food. (aka, fatty)
>>
I still don't get the whole meal-prep thing because of food safety.

Cooked rice isn't meant to be kept for more than a day in the fridge, yet you see guys saying they cook it 5-7 days in advance.

Same with chicken - 2-3 days max but you see guys cooking it a week in advance.

I just buy frozen cooked chicken you can defrost in a microwave, or just cook it fresh. A butterflied chicken breast takes about 5 minutes on a George Formby Grill.

Rice takes like 10 minutes to cook, or you can buy that microwave stuff.

Who the fuck doesn't have the time for that?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (150 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
150 KB, 1920x1080
>>37461581
>>
>>37461413
I'll thank you now.
>>
>>37461581
>because of food safety.
I would not be surprised if you were one of those people that don't eat food because it's past it's "sell by" date instead of expiration date (which isn't set in stone, it's a guesstimate.)

>Cooked rice isn't meant to be kept for more than a day in the fridge, yet you see guys saying they cook it 5-7 days in advance.
You mention later about the pre-made rice things...which are pre-made yet put into containers that last months. Your argument is invalid. Besides, I freeze all my stuff.

>Same with chicken - 2-3 days max but you see guys cooking it a week in advance.
Things preserve a lot longer than what you think. I just recently opened up 15 year old canned green beans I grew. Sure, they lost some of their nutrient content over time, but they're still good.

>I just buy frozen cooked chicken you can defrost in a microwave, or just cook it fresh.
Or you can cook it in advance, freeze it, then reheat it later.

>A butterflied chicken breast takes about 5 minutes on a George Formby Grill.
>wasting money on a device other than a typical range

>Rice takes like 10 minutes to cook, or you can buy that microwave stuff.
Spotted the person who hasn't made rice before. Protip: it takes at least 45 minutes. With how much I make, I can make an entire week's worth in an hour.

>Who the fuck doesn't have the time for that?
Says the person who wastes his limited life on not optimizing his nutrition routine by being a lazy, paranoid fuck.
>>
>>37461592
I'm not saying people are wrong to cook it that far in advance, I'm just saying I don't get which piece of advice is right.
>>
>>37461665
>Says the person who wastes his limited life on not optimizing his nutrition routine by being a lazy, paranoid fuck.

Says the person wasting time arguing on 4chan
>>
File: 1444264971134.png (243 KB, 418x663) Image search: [Google]
1444264971134.png
243 KB, 418x663
>>37461672
>"I'm not saying people are wrong to cook it that far in advance"
>proceeds to mention a bunch of stupid shit to show that people who cook that far in advance is stupid
>>
>>37461549
>Only fat people enjoy the taste of food

Strong autism
>>
>>37461665
>don't eat food because it's past it's "sell by" date
Nope. We don't tend to have "sell by" dates any more in the UK. I will ignore "best before" but yeah, I will normally look at expiry dates. If some chicken or prawns or something like that are past their expiry, you might be OK to eat them, but is it worth the risk?

>which are pre-made yet put into containers that last months
Because they're done under carefully controlled conditions. The danger with storing cooked rice isn't the storage, it's cooling it down right.

>Or you can cook it in advance, freeze it, then reheat it later.
I used to do this too, but there's no point spending money on fresh chicken then freezing it - It's far cheaper just to buy frozen.

>wasting money on a device other than a typical range
A George Foreman costs about $20.

>Spotted the person who hasn't made rice before. Protip: it takes at least 45 minutes.
Are you fucking retarded? I honestly didn't see this before getting this far into the reply. 45 minutes to cook fucking rice? You bring the water to the boil (about 5 minutes) then simmer for about 10. So 15 if we're being honest.

>wastes his limited life on not optimizing his nutrition routine by being a lazy, paranoid fuck.
Well I've just made you look like a fucking moron with all of the above. How is actually cooking a meal every day being "lazy" compared dividing your life into tupperware boxes? Nothing wrong with doing that, but your logic is fucked. Also, how is what I suggest any different than what you're suggesting nutritionally? Chicken is fucking chicken.

And yeah, I get that I seem paranoid, but I'm asking a simple fucking question. Any chef with basic fucking knowledge doesn't keep chicken and rice cooked for a week. I get that bodybuilders aren't dying of food poisoning left right and centre, so someone is wrong.
>>
>>37461796
Protip - just because there are more than one option it doesn't mean one or any for that matter is wrong.

Don't be that guy
>>
>>37458866
5 days in the max. I feel like shit eating 5+ day old chicken but I still eat it because it's there.
>>
>>37458636
The idea is that you're too tired to cook after working out, so you prepare 7 days of meals beforehand, or you're dieting and have to trick your brain into taking the healthy option by making said meal more convenient.

Always the little things.
>>
File: WP_20160531_001.jpg (458 KB, 916x1632) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160531_001.jpg
458 KB, 916x1632
>>37458636
Meal prep makes my dick hard.
>>
>>37458636
Student here.
I freeze some meals (5 or 6) to have for an "emergency" and I usually cook every 2-3 days, Rice daily but that's just 10min.
>>
>>37458636
Because it IS ocd and autism. Stupid modern kids think they gotta "lifehack" everything but never actually enjoy the life they have. Bunch of ungrateful god damn faggots I hate them
>>
I don't do meal prep but I do ride 20km to a big market where I can get really cheap good quality fish and tofu. I save a lot of money on delicious protein. Buying in bulk is great familia.
>>
>>37458866
Cooked chicken is still fine after 7 days, I eat it all the time and I've never gotten sick. Might not be as flavorful as freshly made but do you really care that much, you're eating chicken for macros not flavor.
>>
I like to make a big ol' pot of chili and freeze it in single serving bags. Lasts forever. Tastes great. I can calculate the macros precisely.
>>
File: gigkihkh.png (41 KB, 190x219) Image search: [Google]
gigkihkh.png
41 KB, 190x219
>>37458636
>shit seems autistic to me.
Get a full time job and say that.
Oh wait.
I'm on the one place on the internet where it's cool to be a welfare/parent leech.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.