[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have 4 years to gain as much strength and endurance as I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (358 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
358 KB, 2560x1600
Some background on this - I'm a Junior level college student currently working towards a bachelor of science (and a fast track program for a masters of science) in economics/IR. After I graduate in 4 years (give or take 6 months depending on what route I take with the free graduate school), I'm going to be signing up with the (Marines) Officer Candidacy School and serve for several years.

I've read through a lot of the diet plans and workouts on the sticky/elsewhere over the past couple years, but nothing has really led me to an answer on what I want
- and that is to get as (practical) physically strong and build up the most endurance I can prior to entering the OCS program fully, this obviously includes cardio based endurance as well - if I had to break it down in to the long term goals to achieve before the end of the next 4 years

> - Develop a consistent healthy diet with some supplements if recommended
> - Lower my mile run time from 10 minutes to 7:30 or lower
> - Be able to run 3 miles while carrying a sizeqble amount of weight on my torso (assume 75 lbs.)
> - Be able to sustain good-form simple excercises like pull ups and push ups indefinitely (to a reasonable point) to survive OCS training
> - (This is the weirder one) I want to work on increasing my flexibility too for the sake of preventing injury when really forcing myself ( thinking of trying Bikram Yoga for this, friend highly recommends it to me)
> - Lift a yet undetermined amount (I need to figure out what a reasonable goal will be)

I'm currently in decent shape, though currently only minor (ineffective imo) weight training, and the major thing being a runner (run atleast 5-10 miles a week) with a poor diet as I only recently got moved in to my own place so I haven't had time to figure out a healthy food plan.

(Cont.)
>>
>>37457090
So I am essentially starting from the ground up with little to no knowledge about strength training as a 6' 2" 170 lbs. male - any help would be wildly appreciated as my experience mainly comes from friends who excercise and being on cross country teams most of my life.

These are the main questions -
> Where can I find long term diet plans that include breakfasts/lunch/dinner/snack recipes? I like cooking and have a lot of time for it so I don't mind complexity.

> Similarly, what types of free weight exercises are best solely for strength and endurance building? My goal isn't to really show off my body as it is to make myself physically stronger.

> What kind of goals should I have in terms of lifting, and how do I figure out what weight (amount) to start myself with?

> On the pussier side of things, what kinds of training for flexibility do you recommend? I don't want to bulk up and reduce my range of motion too much.

> How do I meld cardio/endurance training with weight training? I'm assuming I should just dedicate more time to it and have time set aside for running and time for weights.

> The supplements information on here is reallllly contradictory to itself, so I'm really confused on what supplements are useful versus what are placebo/harmful. Remember the goal isn't to show muscle as much as it is to strengthen it.

I probably will have more to ask later on, but this is a good point to start at.

This is one of my major life goals to be physically able enough to excel in this program, but I was a lazy fuck and now I need to kick my ass back in to gear to finally get myself ready.

I'm ready to take this on, and refuse to let myself mess up, thank you for your help!

(The offer is a confirmed deal after my graduate studies so this is 100% happening)
>>
>>37457090
Install Gentoo + GOMAD
>>
>I want to be a toy for the jews

cuckmerican pls
>>
>>37457137
> /pol/ forever the true king of /fit/
>>
>>37457090
>10 minute mile
>decent shape
pick one m80
Also
>a runner
>5-10 miles per week
Fuck me lad, really?
>>
>>37457090
> beginner
Get out your post just gave me so much cancer you normie ass scum
>>
>literally the only thing left for op to become chad is lifting.

Nah go fuck yourself. But knowing you, You'll probably fulfill your destiny as chad anyway. But that soesnt mean im going to give you advice. Again, Go fuck yourself op.

Sage
>>
>>37457167
To be fair he did say he was clueless
>>
>there are people whos going to actually help OP below this post
>>
>helping a normie literally on the verge of chadom

Sage
>>
> kid wants to be a marine
> asks advice
> chadchadchadchadchadchadchad
The natural progression
>>
tl;dr

but assuming youre joining the marines... be prepared to either be a fucking wolf or a sheep.

also kill yourself
>>
>>37457390
Hes doing his family legacy proud. Obviously a fucking chad.

NO ONE HELP HIM.

Seriously, if this normie, soon to be chad, wants help he can go ask another website. Fuck him.
>>
>>37457090
Do Army rotc trust me

>marine
>>
>>37457090
Marine here

Pls don't join.
>>
File: O0MYPjF.jpg (519 KB, 1912x2475) Image search: [Google]
O0MYPjF.jpg
519 KB, 1912x2475
> Where can I find long term diet plans that include breakfasts/lunch/dinner/snack recipes? I like cooking and have a lot of time for it so I don't mind complexity.
dunno tbhqmi fammila i usually made my own basic bitch meals bcuz poor. You're probably going to have to research this on your own.
> Similarly, what types of free weight exercises are best solely for strength and endurance building? My goal isn't to really show off my body as it is to make myself physically stronger.
Stick to compound movements ie squats lunges ohp and pull ups/chin ups that sort of thing. strengthen your joints to prevent snap city.Also include a lot of core stability exercises like planks or hollow body holds as rucking will fuck your lower back if you're not properly prepared. Don't ruck in boots and wear socks when you do.
> On the pussier side of things, what kinds of training for flexibility do you recommend? I don't want to bulk up and reduce my range of motion too much.
molding mobility is a nice starting program. It'll take a long time before you're too big to wipe your own ass. buy a foam roller.
> How do I meld cardio/endurance training with weight training? I'm assuming I should just dedicate more time to it and have time set aside for running and time for weights.
You got the right idea. You could always try some bootleg p90x program or crossfag stuff but i'd stick with keeping them separate.
> The supplements information on here is reallllly contradictory to itself, so I'm really confused on what supplements are useful versus what are placebo/harmful. Remember the goal isn't to show muscle as much as it is to strengthen it.
only supps i've touched is whey and creatine. Although creatine non responders exist its still cheap enough to give it a shot.
>>
>>37457090
>>37457100
So refreshing to see someone for once who has a realistic timeframe instead of "how to get ripped in 3 weeks?".

I highly recommend the book "The Hybrid Athlete" by Alex Viada if you're serious about becoming big and strong while also developing some serious endurance. It teaches you how to balance these things, which is actually kind of tricky. Also goes into nutrition and gives concrete exercise and programming suggestions.

If you just want to get going sooner rather than later, I think the Greyskull Linear Periodization program is a great beginner's routine and is flexible enough to be tailored to your needs. It has a book dedicated to it as well that also contains some effective suggestions for different goals.
>>
>>37457100
>> Where can I find long term diet plans that include breakfasts/lunch/dinner/snack recipes? I like cooking and have a lot of time for it so I don't mind complexity.

Most diet plans are pretty meme-tier, I would just figure out your macro count and adjust from there.

>> Similarly, what types of free weight exercises are best solely for strength and endurance building? My goal isn't to really show off my body as it is to make myself physically stronger.

Compound lifts + bodyweight exercises, plus some core work as well.

>> What kind of goals should I have in terms of lifting, and how do I figure out what weight (amount) to start myself with?

Just being able to lift heavy weight for reps for the most part, you're not a powerlifter so lifting for 1rms isn't going do too much good.

>> On the pussier side of things, what kinds of training for flexibility do you recommend? I don't want to bulk up and reduce my range of motion too much.

AS the other anon said, you're probably not going to bulk up to the point where you won't be able to wipe your own ass, just focus on basic stretches or invest in a roller. If you're looking for super flexibility, maybe take up a martial art since flexibility is pretty much the name of the game with most of them.

>> How do I meld cardio/endurance training with weight training? I'm assuming I should just dedicate more time to it and have time set aside for running and time for weights.

I would lift and then do cardio, you could go the crossshit route, but its better to keep them separate to avoid injury.

>> The supplements information on here is reallllly contradictory to itself, so I'm really confused on what supplements are useful versus what are placebo/harmful. Remember the goal isn't to show muscle as much as it is to strengthen it.

Most supplements are snake oil, I would stick to your basics such as Whey, a multi-vitamin, fish oil, and maybe if you wish, some kind of pre-workout.
>>
useful supplements:
magnesium
zinc (important not to go over 15g a day for this)
fish oil
creatine
leucine
citrulline
>>
File: 1458600900606.jpg (355 KB, 1168x1250) Image search: [Google]
1458600900606.jpg
355 KB, 1168x1250
>>37458107
please never post that blinding picture again.
>>
multi-vitamins are fucking useless and overpriced
>>
also whey, of course
>>
>>37457609
Shut up boot.

I'm a real marine OP. Join. Become one of us.

Be sure you go 03xx infantry.

Life is great!
>>
>>37459060
thanks
>>
File: US-Army-soldiers.jpg (249 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
US-Army-soldiers.jpg
249 KB, 1024x683
>>37457090
>>37457100
army fag here

if you're going to go the OCS route, join the guard first so you can go in with some experience

you can be in the guard and go to college at the same time, its what I'm doing +ROTC

nobody is gonna want some incompetent panzy motherfucker as an officer, make sure you're not that guy
>>
>>37457090
I'd recommend you take a look at Stew Smith's programs. He's a former SEAL who specializes in training people for entering the armed forces at all different levels.

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend his
>90 Day Beginner Program
then
>Prepare for the USMC IST and PFT program
then
>The USMC Officer Candidates School - (OCS/TBS)

then see how you're doing from there.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.