[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SS Warmup?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (802 KB, 1956x2560) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
802 KB, 1956x2560
Couldn't find anything in here about warming up before a workout. It has the workout specific warmup to the working sets but no mobility or dynamic stretches.

Is it necessary to warmup before doing this?
>>
Foam roll if you feel your mobility is limited. I usually just smash out 5 minutes on the elliptical and go straight into the warm up sets.
>>
Warm-up only when doing heavy 1-2 rep sets and/or have dealt with an injury specific to the workout your doing.

Only times when necessary.
>>
Stretch at home for mobility.
Warm up with low intensity doing the excercise you are about doing,
>>
>>37455521
Lol. squats ARE the warmup in SS
Just do pyramid sets

Say your working set is 100kg do
20kgx5
40kgx5
60kgx5
80kgx5
100kgx5

As a rule of thumb each interval should be the same, whether it's 20kg or 40kg or 80kg shatever
>>
>>37455580
That looks like a surefire way to exhaust yourself before your working sets.
>>
>>37455521
If you're looking for aesthetics SS is literally one of the worst routines possible, sorry.

If you're looking for T-Rex mode or to have a good squat/deadlift but a shit everything else, go for it.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 381x385) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 381x385
>>37455789
>>
>>37455885
>newfag

there's a 90% chance i've been here before you, little shit.
>>
>>37455966
Now listen here you dirty, no good summerfag. I ve been on 4chan for the past 8 years and by god i WILL NOT TOLERATE you treating me with such utter DISREPECT .

You WILL respect me , for i am an OLDFAG , who was shitposting when you were still in high school talking about lord of the rings with your gay little friends.

So YOU can fuck off to reddit, which is much more suitable for filthy newfags like yourself, or you can RESPECT your oldfags and maybe, just MAYBE, we'll let you stay on our website.

Dyel?
>>
phraktured.net/starting-stretching.html

phraktured.net/molding-mobility.html
>>
>>37455989
nice shitpoem. 8.5/10
>>
>>37455580
too much imo

20x5, 60x4, 85x3 should be fine for warmup
>>
Always know why you do the things that you do. The purpose of a warm-up is to get you ready to perform your work sets. A good warm-up routine will achieve the following:

1) Increased body temperature, for better performanced and reduced injury risk.

2) Amp up your nervous system, to be ready for maximal performance/heavy lifts.

3) Get you into the groove of the ensuing exercises. This includes mobility work, activation drills, and movement pattern practice (all AS NEEDED of course).

In order to accomplish these things, you'll most likely need a general warm-up, consisting of something that gets your heartrate up a bit as well as some drills specific to the exercise that you're supposed to be doing later. This mainly achieve 1) and a bit of 3) - You can choose to do some throws, jumps or other plyometric stuff to adress 2) as well. This is followed by some regular warm-up sets of the first heavy exercise you're going to do, and the purpose of this is mainly 3) and as you approach working weights 2).

Obviously after the first heavy exercise of the day, most of the 3 points are already achieved. 1 and 2 definitely are. Depending on the exercise that comes next you may or may not need to do anything further. It is however always a good idea to perform at least one lighter set before you dive in, just to get a feel for the exercise on the day.
>>
>>37455999
>reddit mod
Is it even necessary? Limber 11 seems like only lower body warming up.
>>
I'm not OP but I've got a question on SS as well.

Following this guide: http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html

are both of the daily accessory exercises to be done each lifting day? Yes I realize this may be a retarded question but I'm obviously new at this.
>>
The point of warming up is not getting injured. If you dont injure yourself youre ok. If youre lifting so much weight so wrong that youre injuring yourself while on SS you either havent read the book or its time to move on to a different program.
>>
>>37456493
chins on power clean day, dips on deadlift day
>>
>>37456516
I get that, but I mean the weighted situps and hyperextensions. Should I do both of them every time I lift?
>>
>>37455885
He is right though
>>
Heavy warmups are ESSENTIAL on SS. You think 15 reps, even heavy ones, are going to induce that much growth? You think you can work on your squat technique if you're always trying to push PRs?
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 384x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 384x356
>>37456515
>keep skipping your warmup until you injure yourself. Then you're ready to move onto a different program.
>>
>>37456930
>You think 15 reps, even heavy ones, are going to induce that much growth?
yes, that's the point of the program

>You think you can work on your squat technique if you're always trying to push PRs?
yes, because you're nowhere near your limit for most of SS. the only time you're truly grinding through reps is the last couple of weeks.
>>
youre welcome faggot

http://warmupreps.com/
>>
>>37457127
>reading comprehension
>>
>>37455521
If you have chronic tight muscles then stretch them out before you do the movement (ie. Hams or hip flexors)

Don't listen to these autists telling you to just fucking jump into heavy squats, you'll have shit form and a one way ticket to snap city
>>
>>37455580
Have you even read the program.
You are just gonna exhaust yourself before your work sets which actually matter.
>>
>>37455521
Bump.

Is molding mobility enough to warmup?
>>
File: image.png (157 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
157 KB, 750x1334
>listening to trappychan
ISHYDDT
>>
>>37455521
People are giving you random advice, but your question is specifically what Starting Strength says.
I think it's in the routine chapter, but it says to do about 5 minutes of cardio, ideally the rowing machine, but just jogging and some calisthenics (like deep knee bends) is okay too.

As for the weighted warm ups, they are essential to teaching yourself correct form, and you should do them.

>>37455543
>>37455580
God these are just so wrong.
>>
>>37457847

Mobility and flexibility training should be done after the workout. There's actually a lot of scientific literature on this stuff, check it out.

tl;dr
>stretching tears muscle fibers and fascia tissue
>stretching alone does not trigger anabolic growth
>while flexibility increases, you're doing it by beating the shit out of your body in micro-increments
>stretching after lifting/cardio allows a deeper stretch due to pre-worked muscles
>damage done by stretching is recovered as lifting/cardio has already triggered the anabolic growth process

The best warmup is 5 minutes of LISS cardio to get your body temperature up and performing the lift with less weight on the bar.
>>
>>37458874
So 5 min of jump rope is a good warmup before doing SS and then just do the working set warmups?
>>
>>37458874
>>37459718
?
>>
>>37458874
>>37459718
>>37459982
??
>>
>>37455521
Search super training on youtube. They have several example warmups. I use the one from Bryce Lewis.
>>
Been doing starting strength since October last year

>squat 50kg to 110
>dl 80kg to140 (stalled due to old knee injury flaring up)
>BP 20 kg to 60
>ohp 20kg to 45 kg

A few questions

>can I just do this program indefinitely but throw in a few isolation exercises such as curls

>if not when should I stop added what should I do next

>why am I the only one in the gym who ever squats, are squats a meme?

>my forearms are still shit, what should I do?
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 348x499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 348x499
>>37460823
>>if not when should I stop added what should I do next
Texas Method
>>
>>37455521
does biking 10 mins to the gym count as a warmup
>>
>>37455789
what would you recommend for Æsthetics?
>>
>>37455521

You don't need static stretching to warm up. It is, in fact, counterproductive.

All that's needed for most people is a couple of minutes on a row machine or something before warming up the actual lift, starting with the unloaded bar and ramping up from there.
>>
>>37456530
Haven't been on /fit/ or read SS in years. When did he add weighted situps and hyperextensions?
>>
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 1800x1198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 1800x1198
>>37455789
>>37456493
>>37456516
>>37456530
>>37460823
>>37461117
>Not buying Starting Strength 6th edition and doing the Advanced 2nd stage modified microloading phase for 14 months and subscribing to the Wichita Falls Weekly and hiring a milkman to deliver you milk everyday
YNDTP
>>
I just started SS. I'm still intimidated by the compound lifts, so I stretch, light treadmill for 5 minutes, and do a warmup set before trying the weight I think I can manage (while still maintaining form).
>>
File: ss fit.png (251 KB, 794x1123) Image search: [Google]
ss fit.png
251 KB, 794x1123
>>37455521
>Couldn't find anything in here about warming up before a workout.
Please. Page 365.
>>
>>37464145
>It has the workout specific warmup to the working sets but no mobility or dynamic stretches.
Nice reading comprehension newfriend.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.