[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 222x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 222x250
Example of exercise used: bicep curl

Can anyone tell me the gains associated with:
1) lifting a dumbbell at the 90 degree angle and no matter how hard you push, it stays at 90 degrees.

So, say you picked up a weight for your curl (101% 1RM), you lift it to 90 degrees with two hands, then you let go one hand so your other hand has to do the work, but no matter hard you curl, it stays at the 90 degrees angle and after 5 seconds the weight starts pushing your arm down (like a forced negative)

What benefits can one derive from this? Or is it a one way ticket to the hospital?
>>
Also, this is different from arm curling a weight you're capable of lifting and just holding it in place because you choose to. The weight stays at 90 degrees during your curl while you push as hard as you can not because you're purposely keeping it stationary
>>
>>37454753
I have no idea what you mean.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 96x114) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 96x114
>>37454965
Like this. At the 90 degree mark of the curl is the most difficult. If the arm drops then the angle is over 90 degrees
>>
Example. Start @ 45 seconds in.

http://youtu.be/5R7JJV-rPdQ
>>
>>37454753
I imagine it would have the same effect as if you can't do pull ups, you get a chair, grab the pull up bar, step off the chair and hold yourself there until you can't anymore. Then you slowly let yourself down in the negative. Repeat till you can do a pull up like a real boy.
>>
>>37455184
Wrong video? They do bench press.
>>
>>37455274
Nah, that's more like a cheat curl. What this guy is refering to is pulling up halfay to the top on a pull-up and staying there as long as possible.
>>
>>37455301
Couldn't find one for a bicep curl, but it's the same thing in principle. The part where he stalls is what im referring to
>>
>>37455313
True. That's how I got good at pull ups. There are probably much more effective exercises than the one op posted for working those same muscles more.
>>
>>37455313
That sounds like a 1rm attempt. Wont it burn your cns? Doing a pull up like this likely wont build muscle since youre in a static position.

Also, how can you hope to improve to a full pull up if you purposely stall half-way?
>>
>>37455333
Just do cheat curls with a barbell. Load like 10% more then you can handle. Help swinging it up with your body then slowly put it down. Overloading your biceps like this once every couple of days will do wonders for growth.
>>
>>37455399
You're not stalling halfway. If you're too fat to pull yourself all the way up, then you hold yourself at the top and fight ass hard as you can on the way down, working the negative. I know it works. It's how I learned to do pull ups. Former 360 lb ball of lard.
>>
>>37455399
Agree, it's probably not worth it. Scooby advices on doing it in his pull-up tutorial though, so I dunno.
>>
>>37455434
i did a mixture of this and stepping off a stool but yeah this
>>
>>37455434
how many sets did you when you were still a fatty trying to complete one pull up?

My anecdote was i was trying to complete a one legged squat but always stall. I tried this for 2 weeks and i still couldnt get past the sticking point. but after doing full squats of 10 reps @70%1rm i was able to perform a one legged squat. Whats the reason for this?
>>
>>37455500
You need train full range of motion to get it stronger. When you stall in one spot you only ever train up to that spot. Sounds brosciency, I know and I'm sure there's a more scientifically accurate way to explain it, but that's it basically.
>>
>>37455661
What about the guy here to claim to have only did pull ups up until his sticking and eventually overcoming it anyway? >>37455434
>>
>>37455732
Dunno. Like I said there's probably more to it. He would've probably gotten faster results on a lat pulldown, is what I'm guessing.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.