[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any benefit to lifting absurds amount of weight? Yesterday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 011210_beckham_renalod.jpg (61 KB, 544x500) Image search: [Google]
011210_beckham_renalod.jpg
61 KB, 544x500
Is there any benefit to lifting absurds amount of weight?

Yesterday at the gym, a guy who looked like he was in his 40s-50s and who looked completely average started hoarding plates on the leg press, he literally maxed the press (not a single plate more could fit), I counted 600 kilos but I know it was more (im just rounding it) and he made like 8 reps.

Afterwards, his legs were shaking like jelly just by walking and he waited like 10 minutes before the next set.

The trainer was looking at him with disgust the whole time and another trainer was saying how ridiculous and pointless it was, they eventually stopped him (And reprimanded him) because he literally took every plate in the gym and was actually overloading the machine.

Is there any benefit to this or was this guy just an idiot?

pic unrelated
>>
Leg press is shit, there are pictures of people loading it with like a thousand kilos.

All those cunts wouldnt be able to squat a quarter of that weight.
>>
> being a trainer
> not being a retard
>>
>>37453514

He also maxed the calf lift with like 200 or 300 kilos
>>
>>37453504
Yeah, he's a retard, and what he's doing isn't at all impressive.

Leg pressing has a place in the gym, don't get me wrong - if a person can't squat to depth because of weakness or poor mobility the leg press is the way to fix that.

But using it for pretty much anything else is a waste of time. It's something weak ass fgts and bro scientists use for bragging rights. I've lost count of the number of people I've seen struggle to rep out five half squats with 1pl8... Who then go and put 500lbs on the leg press like its a big fucking achievement.

It's even worse than the smith machine.
>>
>>37453504

He's a retard and I hope your gym is affiliated to some emergency services because if he keeps that way he's going to need an ambulance and some great knee surgery.

Your muscles have a limit, they can only be shredded so much before actually collapsing. I'm all for pushing yourself over the limit but in the case of this guy it's just too extreme if you say he isnt some huge ass bodybuilder/bearmode guy. His muscles wont get bigger than they would if he was using a reasonable weight for his size so he's only risking himself for a probably permanent injury.

And trainers were right to reprimand him, if a leg press breaks, you can kiss the person's legs goodbye, it will be that webm of the lady who has her leg bent forward in the gym because the press broke
>>
>>37453504
>Is there any benefit to lifting absurds amount of weight?

a lot of strength coaches working with professional sportsmen actually debate this question.

it comes down to diminishing returns vis a vis what you're able to recover from and what you have time in the athlete's schedule to actually trai
it's kinda mot, but yeah, there's strong and "strong enough".n.
>>
File: 1447260978466.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447260978466.jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
>>37453514
>>
>>37453504
>leg press
dyel?
>>
>>37453665
Didn't this guy only move it like 2inches?
>>
>>37453665
Is he... is he chained to it?
>>
>>37453504
Leg press is an ego lift. You could load up 300kg on it but fail to do a single squat rep with lmao2plate.
>>
>>37454110
NO ESCAPE
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.